Sending a food parcel to Ushuaia and taking food to Ushuaia

V4444

Taking food to ushuaia and sending a package to a hotel...

My son and I will be spending some time in Ushuaia. As he has some severe food allergies I wondered if anyone could advise me on taking food with us?

Before anyone says it, I do know that they will have food in Ushuaia. I would

just rather take things I know he can, and will eat. Plus, as my son is on a nutritional supplement, we will have to take that with us anyway.

I have heard that on arrival at ushuaia airport they check for food? I presume that this is only for fresh food, meat, or dairy?

We would be flying from America, and so would bring food on the plane to Beunos Aires and onto Ushuaia. Would bringing packaged food into Argentina be a problem?

We would also like to send some food items ahead of us to the hotel we are staying at in Ushuaia. We were thinking of sending it by fed ex or DHL from

America. Does anyone have any experience with doing this sort of thing? Would

there be any problems with customs? If we sent it to the hotel could we just pay any customs when we arrive? I have heard some people mention about having to collect parcels from the customs office in person, which I'm guessing would not be in Ushuaia.

Any help great fully received.

when we traveled through the Ushuaia airport, nuts were also confiscated

Thanks for that information. Would crackers be a problem? I am concerned that we might not be able to get to the dining room when crossing the Drake, and should have something with us. I guess we should buy something right in Ushuaia, makes sense. I see you went to Galapagos too. How did the conditions compare when getting off the zodiacs and walking on land? Sorry to digress.

I am concerned that we might not be able to get to the dining room when crossing the Drake, and should have something with us.

Which ship will you be on? You will not be thrown into "the Drake Shake" minutes after leaving Ushuaia. There are several hours of cruise in the Beagle Canal before getting to the open sea, so you will have plenty of time to organise yourself on the ship. And then "the Drake Shake" is not a guarantee ;) (and can be foreseen, so you will know in advance what the conditions will be like, and you will have time to get organized). When I did the crossing in Feb.2009 there was so little wind that we barely saw any birds (they need wind to fly). The sea was flat all through the Drake.

Which ship will you be on? You will not be thrown into "the Drake Shake" minutes after leaving Ushuaia. There are several hours of cruise in the Beagle Canal before getting to the open sea, so you will have plenty of time to organise yourself on the ship. And then "the Drake Shake" is not a guarantee ;) (and can be foreseen, so you will know in advance what the conditions will be like, and you will have time to get organized). When I did the crossing in Feb.2009 there was so little wind that we barely saw any birds (they need wind to fly). The sea was flat all through the Drake.

Thanks, good to know that we will have some time before open sea; I didn't think about that. I guess I don't have to worry about bringing food! We are going with Overseas Adventure Travel (OAT) on the Corinthian II. There are around 119 passengers, and of course, crew, and I'm sure you are right and we will be prepared and organized. (p.s. how was it walking on land compared to some of the rocky hikes in the Galapagos?).

Thanks for that information. Would crackers be a problem? I am concerned that we might not be able to get to the dining room when crossing the Drake, and should have something with us. I guess we should buy something right in Ushuaia, makes sense. I see you went to Galapagos too. How did the conditions compare when getting off the zodiacs and walking on land? Sorry to digress.

Crackers should be OK as long as they are in sealed packages.

The Galapagos was our third expedition with zodiac landings, and our experience helped tremendously with getting in and out of the zodiacs. It's like riding a bike ... it comes back to you :-))

Aside from the obvious weather/temp differences, I found the zodiac landings to be not too dissimilar. We didn't need gumboots for the wet landings in the Galapagos and could do those in our bare feet and change into trail hikers once ashore. The beaches we landed on in the Antarctic (incl South Georgia and Falklands) were pebbled, whereas the ones in the Galapagos were sandy. We didn't have any problems hiking in gumboots, but being able to do so in trail hikers in the Galapagos made the hiking that much easier. Didn't use or feel the need for walking sticks at either locale.

We were lucky with weather conditions in the Antarctic and the waters were mostly calm, like they were for us in the Galapagos. That could easily change in either place, so it's essential to be prepared to protect backpacks, cameras, etc. should the conditions warrant it.

Have fun ... we'd go back in a heartbeat.

Crackers should be OK as long as they are in sealed packages.

The Galapagos was our third expedition with zodiac landings, and our experience helped tremendously with getting in and out of the zodiacs. It's like riding a bike ... it comes back to you :-))

Aside from the obvious weather/temp differences, I found the zodiac landings to be not too dissimilar. We didn't need gumboots for the wet landings in the Galapagos and could do those in our bare feet and change into trail hikers once ashore. The beaches we landed on in the Antarctic (incl South Georgia and Falklands) were pebbled, whereas the ones in the Galapagos were sandy. We didn't have any problems hiking in gumboots, but being able to do so in trail hikers in the Galapagos made the hiking that much easier. Didn't use or feel the need for walking sticks at either locale.

We were lucky with weather conditions in the Antarctic and the waters were mostly calm, like they were for us in the Galapagos. That could easily change in either place, so it's essential to be prepared to protect backpacks, cameras, etc. should the conditions warrant it.

Have fun ... we'd go back in a heartbeat.

Will bring crackers just in case. Glad landings are similar. I found rocky hikes in Galapagos difficult; maybe Antarctica is easier? Sorry again about getting off track. Will check out your travel photos and blog, thanks.

Archived