Princess exchange rates pre cruise

Babs02

Anyone recently added money to the on board account before sailing.

Just wondered what rate of exchange Princess are giving.

Wondered if it was worth doing or just wait til I'm on board & pay after the cruise. Got a great rate on my last cruise.

Their exchange rates are outrageous to which they add a $4.50 transaction fee....each time. I would get some $US before you leave the UK and then get some more from an ATM once in the US. I don't know if this will work for you but as a Canadian, I am able to purchase AMEX US$ travelers cheques at my bank commission free... the PSD will cash those without a fee.

I did a small exchange last month in LHR at the AMEX currency exchange desk, I thought the exchange rate was reasonable and the transaction fee was only $3.50....I think they waive the transaction fee on larger amounts but I am not positive about that.

putterdude - have they changed things. last time I added money to my account pre cruise I did not pay a transaction charge. Usually, this is paid when paying after the cruise if you want to be charged in your home currency, ie GBP., which I never do. :confused:

Anyone recently added money to the on board account before sailing.

Just wondered what rate of exchange Princess are giving.

Wondered if it was worth doing or just wait til I'm on board & pay after the cruise. Got a great rate on my last cruise.

Seems last time you went was in 2010. There was a time when the exchange rate when booking the cruise as against when sailing was very favourable to the British and it was worth putting money on the on board account. It is not so now.

Archived