Wheelchair Assistance & Scooter Rental

OceanDreamin

I am traveling with my mom, who has limited mobility. She is renting a scooter, which I understand will be there and waiting for her in her cabin when we board. I know she will have wheelchair assistance to board, but do they take her all the way to the cabin? What if the cabin isn't ready yet when we board?

We are sailing on Carnival Liberty. I mean, I can't really picture them just dumping her in the lobby and leaving her to make her own way to the cabin, but I'm a worrier.;)

Thanks in advance for your input.

During embarkation, the company-owned wheelchairs are used multiple times for transporting people. If your room isn't ready, most likely they will give you an option on where you would like to go such as a lobby, bar or lido deck for lunch. But the transporter probably would have to return to get another person.

On some cruise lines, the handicap-accessible staterooms are attended to first just for that reason.

Most cruise lines do exaclty what is stated above. What I would suggest is to let Mom baby-sit the carry-ons while you go to the cabin and retrive the scooter. Most times they will allow you access to the cabin ahead of time to pick up a scooter but I would not leave your bags at that time, they may be mistaken for left overs from the prior cruise. Have fun driving the scooter, it will be your last time until debarkation when you will want to do the same in reverse.

We were on the Valor in February and as the above poster noted, I was taken to the buffet and left at a table while my wife was allowed to go to our room to get the scooter. It worked fine. A couple of times on NCL I was allowed to keep the wheelchair until the rooms were opened.

I wanted to add that during the mustar drill the elevators are closed. You have two options. Ask you steward when it is and go down early. On our cruise on the Valor, we were in the library. Your other option is to call the guest services desk and they will send someone to unlock the elevator for your mother. They are happy to do this. Also, for ports, elevators are oftentimes closed. Call to have someone esscort you.

I wanted to add that during the mustar drill the elevators are closed. You have two options. Ask you steward when it is and go down early. On our cruise on the Valor, we were in the library. Your other option is to call the guest services desk and they will send someone to unlock the elevator for your mother. They are happy to do this. Also, for ports, elevators are oftentimes closed. Call to have someone esscort you.

Excuse me, but during muster drill, passengers with mobilities issues can use the elevators. ;)

Cato :)

Completed Cruises !

Pre-cruise Days - The Big Red Boat, 1993 ??

1st cruise - Coral Princess, 19 November 2008, 10 day Panama Canal, FLL to ACA

2nd cruise - Coral Princess, 15 May 2009, 3 day Repositioning, Los Angeles to Vancouver.

3rd cruise - Sapphire Princess, 25 November 2009? 7 day Mexican Riviera.

4th cruise - Golden Princes, 12 June 2010, 7 day Alaska. (Golden Anniversary Cruise)

5th Cruise - Island Princess, 04 October 2010, Vancouver - Los Angeles, Repositioning

6th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 05 January 2011, 10 day Mexican Riviera. LA to LA.

7th cruise - Golden Princess, 11 May 2011, 3 day, LA to Vancouver, Repositioning

8th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 14 May 2011, 1 day, Vancouver to Seattle, Repositioning

9th cruise - Coral Princess 19 May 2011 2 day, San Francisco to Vancouver, Repositioning

10th & 11th cruises - Coral Princess 02 July to 16 July 2011, round trip Vancouver - Whittier Alaska, B2B

12th & 13th cruises - Sapphire Princess, x2, Cabins, 18 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning

14th & 15th cruises - Golden Princess, x2, Cabins, 24 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning.

We have now reached Elite status with Princess Cruise Lines

16th cruise - Oasis of the Seas, 26 Nov. 2011, 7 day, Western Caribbean, Ft. Lauderdale, Ret.

17th & 18th cruises - Crown Princess B2B, 03 - 10 Dec & 10 - 17 Dec 2011, 14 Days, South & western Caribbean

19th cruise - Grand Princess, 31 Mar. - 07Jun.0212 7 Days, Eastern Caribbean, FLL - FLL

20th cruise - Island Princess, 06-16 June 2012, 10 day cruisetour Vancouver - Wittier

21th cruise - Emerald Princess, 16 day, 10 - 26 Sep. 2012, TA, Copenhagen - New York

Future & Hopeful Cruises !

( Already booked )

22nd crruise - Sapphire Princess 31 March - 06 April, 2013, 7 Day Coastal LA - LA

23th cruise - Royal Princess 16 June - 05 July, 2013, 19 Day Inaugural cruise, Southampton - Venice.

24th cruise - Emerald Princess, 01 Oct. - 16 Oct. 2013, 16 Day Cruisetour, Toronto Via Quebec City to New York City

25th cruise - Royal Princess, 14 November - 01 December, 2013, Eastern Caribbean, Fort Lauderdale Ret.

Excuse me' date=' but during muster drill, passengers with mobilities issues can use the elevators. ;)

Cato :)

[u']Completed Cruises ! [/u]

Pre-cruise Days - The Big Red Boat, 1993 ??

1st cruise - Coral Princess, 19 November 2008, 10 day Panama Canal, FLL to ACA

2nd cruise - Coral Princess, 15 May 2009, 3 day Repositioning, Los Angeles to Vancouver.

3rd cruise - Sapphire Princess, 25 November 2009? 7 day Mexican Riviera.

4th cruise - Golden Princes, 12 June 2010, 7 day Alaska. (Golden Anniversary Cruise)

5th Cruise - Island Princess, 04 October 2010, Vancouver - Los Angeles, Repositioning

6th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 05 January 2011, 10 day Mexican Riviera. LA to LA.

7th cruise - Golden Princess, 11 May 2011, 3 day, LA to Vancouver, Repositioning

8th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 14 May 2011, 1 day, Vancouver to Seattle, Repositioning

9th cruise - Coral Princess 19 May 2011 2 day, San Francisco to Vancouver, Repositioning

10th & 11th cruises - Coral Princess 02 July to 16 July 2011, round trip Vancouver - Whittier Alaska, B2B

12th & 13th cruises - Sapphire Princess, x2, Cabins, 18 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning

14th & 15th cruises - Golden Princess, x2, Cabins, 24 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning.

We have now reached Elite status with Princess Cruise Lines

16th cruise - Oasis of the Seas, 26 Nov. 2011, 7 day, Western Caribbean, Ft. Lauderdale, Ret.

17th & 18th cruises - Crown Princess B2B, 03 - 10 Dec & 10 - 17 Dec 2011, 14 Days, South & western Caribbean

19th cruise - Grand Princess, 31 Mar. - 07Jun.0212 7 Days, Eastern Caribbean, FLL - FLL

20th cruise - Island Princess, 06-16 June 2012, 10 day cruisetour Vancouver - Wittier

21th cruise - Emerald Princess, 16 day, 10 - 26 Sep. 2012, TA, Copenhagen - New York

Future & Hopeful Cruises !

( Already booked )

22nd crruise - Sapphire Princess 31 March - 06 April, 2013, 7 Day Coastal LA - LA

23th cruise - Royal Princess 16 June - 05 July, 2013, 19 Day Inaugural cruise, Southampton - Venice.

24th cruise - Emerald Princess, 01 Oct. - 16 Oct. 2013, 16 Day Cruisetour, Toronto Via Quebec City to New York City

25th cruise - Royal Princess, 14 November - 01 December, 2013, Eastern Caribbean, Fort Lauderdale Ret.

You are definitely right!!!!!

Yes, during mustar drill passengers with wheelchairs and scooters can use the elevators providing they call guest services and have someone come to their floor to unlock the elevators. I use a scooter. I know. Have been on a dozen cruises.

I have never, ever had the elevators be "closed"' whether during the muster drill or when the ship is in port.

I have never, ever had the elevators be "closed"' whether during the muster drill or when the ship is in port.

This is so true and we have been on over 28 Carnival cruises alone. None of the cruise lines lock the elevators.

Archived