Women airlifted from Glory~USCG video~

missdebi

The ship can't just stop in the middle of the water (per a crew member on a recent cruise we were on). The captain of the ship as well as the helicopter pilot communicate to get to the same speeds. Fantastic skills by all involved.

Moreover, they would probably want to keep some steerage way on the ship, because the side stabilizers would still have an effect. A ship at all-stop tends to wallow and would be more difficult to control -- especially in heavy seas.

I have heard that there is a cost of $30,000-$50,000 for being airlifted off the ship. That is why I always buy travel insurance.

The Coast Guard does not charge for airlift at sea; however, we have had firsthand expereince with an air ambulance trip from Grand Cayman to Miami a few years ago when my seemingly young & healthy DH had a heart attack on board the ship.

The air ambulance charge was around $25,000. Total expenses (medical, transporation, hotel/food in Miami, etc.) for that entire incident came to approx $115,000. Without travel insurance, we would have been sunk. So it is a good idea you always purchase it; you just never know what can happen.:)

Correct. USCG doesn't bill for aeromedical transport/rescue; it was considered but thought to be contrary to its purpose.

Private aeromedical services typically do charge. Working in the industry, I can say it costs $$$$$$$; buy the insurance and hope it covers you.

Not sure how non-U.S. based rescue services work; i.e. whether they charge or not.

I worked on a Carnival ship as an outside security contractor back in the day and was amazed how many airlifts/rescues took place. A lot of times they do the evac at odd hours when there is not much traffic on the ship.

Considering my extreme fear of heights and bridge phobia, I think I'd be more likely to suffer a heart attack being lifted to and transported by a helicopter than from anything I would do on the ship!! The coast guard is amazing,and I hope the woman makes a full recovery.

I'm with you. If is wasn't a heart attack before it would have been one during that lift.

Archived