Question re diabetics and excursions

jd_1976

Probably HAL is the only company that will publish these restrictions upfront, while with the others you do not find out you cannot go on an excursion until you arrive at the excursion. At least with HAL, you have time to plan.

Has anyone been refused access to an excursion at the point of departure? I've not seen that happen...........

Probably HAL is the only company that will publish these restrictions upfront, while with the others you do not find out you cannot go on an excursion until you arrive at the excursion. At least with HAL, you have time to plan.

I have gone scuba diving through a HAL excursion and then the operators had another set of forms to fill in and they could exclude you for various medical reasons even though you passed HAL's prescreening.

Even though the restriction is disappointing and may seem discriminatory, I can understand the reasoning behind it. Maybe most of us understand the disease and how to take care of ourselves, but I know quite a few diabetics who don't (even though they have lived with it for years). There are a lot of people who are in denial (it would never happen to me, etc. etc.)

Those are the people who can spoil it for the rest of us, because they don't plan for the possible problems that may arise.

I am a divemaster (Padi) and a diabetic. The restrictions are minimal and there really are none but common sense if all you are doing is snorkeling. If you can not go with one company wait until you get on shore and there are a ton of companies who will be happy to take you snorkeling and it will be cheaper than going thru the cruise line.

Archived