Workout/Gym Question on the Pearl

cruisecritiquer

I know you all are going to think I'm crazy but I am not willing to gain one pound/day while cruising. I intend to bring my Insanity DVD's with me on the ship and do a 45 minute workout in the gym. I've been on many cruises but I have never ventured into the gym. :o. Is there an area large enough for me to workout independent of machines? Will there be a place for me to plug in my laptop (I'm thinking converter issues - I'm in the US) so I can play the DVD's.

Thanks!

First off, I don't think you're crazy! Ships are a great place to work out. On one cruise they had some classes on the helipad in the morning sea air. Wonderful!

I am not sure from your post if you are asking if you would be able to plug in your laptop in the gym in an area where you could do a workout, or are you thinking of doing your 45 minutes in the gym machines, weights, CV equipment and then going back to the room for the Insanity.

There is usually a place by the gym where classes are held, I don't know if they are open for communal use during times when there are no classes.

The gym itself is usually designed to accomodate the machines and free weights with not a lot of freestyle room.

Good luck with your plan!

:D:D:D

I know you all are going to think I'm crazy but I am not willing to gain one pound/day while cruising. I intend to bring my Insanity DVD's with me on the ship and do a 45 minute workout in the gym. I've been on many cruises but I have never ventured into the gym. :o. Is there an area large enough for me to workout independent of machines? Will there be a place for me to plug in my laptop (I'm thinking converter issues - I'm in the US) so I can play the DVD's.

Thanks!

Geez, I wish you were on the same sailing as me......I too do not want to gain, so will be spending time each day in the gym. Good luck to you.

First off, I don't think you're crazy! Ships are a great place to work out. On one cruise they had some classes on the helipad in the morning sea air. Wonderful!

I am not sure from your post if you are asking if you would be able to plug in your laptop in the gym in an area where you could do a workout, or are you thinking of doing your 45 minutes in the gym machines, weights, CV equipment and then going back to the room for the Insanity.

There is usually a place by the gym where classes are held, I don't know if they are open for communal use during times when there are no classes.

The gym itself is usually designed to accomodate the machines and free weights with not a lot of freestyle room.

Good luck with your plan!

:D:D:D

Thanks! I meant space to "freestyle" workout and plug in my laptop so I can follow along with the DVD's! I appreciate the info! :)

Geez, I wish you were on the same sailing as me......I too do not want to gain, so will be spending time each day in the gym. Good luck to you.

Me too. I have a neighbor to work out with at home. It will not be as fun working out alone on the ship. DH and DS are like good luck with that! ;)

I use the Pearl gym. It is very nice but most of the space is devoted to the machines and weight equipment. The space between is basically just large isle allowing uncrowded access around. I don't recall any real open area for individual workout.

You know, you could always splurge a little and take advantage of the personal trainers on board. Last NCL ship we were on, the guys were from Australia - very personable, amusing, and I'm sure would give you a heck of a workout if you expressed your goals to them. Plus, might give you some new moves to take home with you. Why "do what you do at home" on vacation? Take advantage of the resource and add with a new expereince :0 Have fun, mate!

We were on there last December- I used the area reserved for aerobics or classes next door to the gym, they have exercise balls and mats in there and there were plugs available for the laptop....I don't care to do my workout in front of people so I never had an issue working out in there. (in fact, there were a few of us in there on occasion doing our own thing but never a crowd) I did not have a problem coordinating with classes.

We were on there last December- I used the area reserved for aerobics or classes next door to the gym, they have exercise balls and mats in there and there were plugs available for the laptop....I don't care to do my workout in front of people so I never had an issue working out in there. (in fact, there were a few of us in there on occasion doing our own thing but never a crowd) I did not have a problem coordinating with classes.

Thank you! That's great to know. :)

Stop by the gym on day 1 and tell them what you're looking to do - I am sure they will be happy to help you out or give you some ideas for what you're trying to accomplish!

PS: We tried to take the stairs as much as possible on our last cruise, and I did some time on the treadmills each morning. There were a lot of people working out early in the morning. Better to do it on the ship than to try to get the weight off when you get home! :cool:

Thanks!

In answer to your other questions, you won't need a converter. The ship has U.S. outlets. I don't know whether you'll find anything in the gym, but you can always charge your laptop in your room daily and use it on battery in the gym, if necessary. Have a great cruise. I'll be on the Pearl three weeks after you.

Thanks!

Your not crazy! Most people on board exercise at least 45 minutes a few times a day by carrying their plates of to their table and then high energy workout by lifting fork, spoon to mouth, they also do a lot of fast paced walking back and forth buffet to table and reverse.

Archived