Running in the Carribean

OHRiverRats

You should be careful in St. Thomas, particularly if going off the beaten track, so to speak. There have been a number of incidents of tourists being accosted. Google St. Thomas for more info.

The same can be said of any Caribbean island and, unfortunately, most cities back home. Be careful, always be aware of your surroundings, and whenever possible, don't travel, or run, alone and you should be safe almost anywhere. It is also important to understand that on St. Thomas, they drive on the other side of the road so one needs to be especially aware of traffic conditions and situations as well.

We run. Part of the way to tour around areas.

I know being accosted is a worry, but the fact that you are a quick moving target plus runners don't carry much means that we've been left alone all the time. We've done Cozumel, Costa Maya, Nassau, St. Lucia, and St Martin.

Nassau is interesting- you can go west, along the water- and we've only done a little there. You can go east, and we did a 9 mile out and back that included a lot of local homes (and included a trip over both bridges). Or over the bridges to Paradise Island- to get miles there, you kind of need to weave in and out of the neighborhoods, but it feels a lot safer out there. And you get the benefit of a killer hill over the bridge.

I can't remember what we did in St martin- but there were routes on Mapmyrun

It's HOT. Really hot. DW is ok with it, since she's from the Caribbean. It takes me a good week to be just barely ok. I carry water, and money to get more.

He can do it. Mapmyrun was a good place to start for me, to plan some things out.

When we were running marathons my husband and I went on a cruise. I googled running in the caribbean and found a website that offered a marathon cruise. I emailed them and they were very nice and provided me with running routes for the islands we were visiting. This was back in 2008 so I'm not sure if they are still operating, but worth looking into. You may also try the under the special interest fitness section of CC...there may be some others there that can help you. Good luck! I know what it is like being a runner and really wanting to run.

Mapmyrun is a good place to start and/or google the port name and running routes or running maps and you'll come up with some ideas. I am a runner but usually run on the treadmill on ship. I did visit Aruba this summer for 6 days and found a couple of ideas for routes (we ended up hiking more than running due to the temps) there.

Archived