Thinking about Magic with teens...

nealstuber

Stumbled upon too good to be true pricing Chritamas week..

Our cruising history is below-Celebrity has been our favorite. 15yods and 13yodd are partial to RCCL. But both are priced out of the question.

DW and I cruise for the ocean, the dinners and the entertainment. We will have fun so long as the kids do. Will we have "Its a small world after all" ringingin our ears after day 1?

Stumbled upon too good to be true pricing Chritamas week..

Our cruising history is below-Celebrity has been our favorite. 15yods and 13yodd are partial to RCCL. But both are priced out of the question.

DW and I cruise for the ocean, the dinners and the entertainment. We will have fun so long as the kids do. Will we have "Its a small world after all" ringing in our ears after day 1?

My kids are now 16 and 14 and do still love cruising on DCL, Yes they first cruised when they were 6 and 4, and grew up on the Magic but still love it.

We have been on RCI and lets not say they didn't like it but they preferred Disney.

You can do as much of Disney things as you like or as little.

An example, they like watching films,

RCI you pay for them in room, Disney its Free, and the selection is the same but with more Disney films.

There is the Vibe on Disney which is a better kids club than RCI.

RCI has waverunner and a slightly better sports deck but Disney has an ok sports deck,

Pools, depends on the ship, RCL slightly beats DCL

Entertainment, is far better and classy imho than RCI,RCI was hit or miss.

And they both had guest entertainers if you want to miss Disney type shows.

Food is considerably better on DCL than RCI-RCI again hit and miss, in fact some rather poor desserts and a lot of hassle to pay for an upgrade, like steak.

Soda free on Disney, and you pay a package on RCI.

Fireworks at Sea on Disney, and some cruises call at Castaway cay the best Bahamas cruise line island bar none.

And finally the music, well it was the, 'Main Street Electric parade' ringing in our ears all day, you can avoid it, yes it gets a bit under your skin like shopping mall muzac, but kids can put their IPhone headphones in. ( other music playing devices are available).

RCI had shopping hall muzac playing all day I couldn't identify what it was.But their live singers were good.

Two things that appeal are the restraunt rotation and byob policy. Details please.

:rolleyes:

Restaurant rotation

Each Disney ship has three MDRs that you will be assigned a rotation each have a different style and for three nights each has a different menu akin to its style.

You will be assigned a rotation no need to book anything and you will move around these each night.

There are also Palo and Remy on ship that you do book for adults only

If you google menus you will find them.-One site

http://disneycruiselineblog.com/menus/

RCL you either book a fixed time for all your cruise, or you have your anytime freestlye flexible booking, DCL will give you 5.45 or 8.15 dinner you can choose which one, and ask for a preference on rotation if you want.

Tickets.jpg

BYOB-Disney allow you, unlike RCI to bring booze on-board for your own use, but not in public areas, it must be able to be carried in your carry on bag and fit in the x ray scanner, it mustn't go in your luggage, as it may break, there is a corkage charge if you take a bottle in the MDRs to be served.

There is wine package that's available and its rather good value.

Although we are huge Disney fans, Our teens did not have a good time on our last Disney cruise 4 years ago, they told us that it was very boring. Only our 6 year old enjoyed it. Once we gave RCCL a try, there was no turning back! We also gave Carnival a try this past summer and nobody in our family enjoyed that one.

Although we are huge Disney fans, Our teens did not have a good time on our last Disney cruise 4 years ago, they told us that it was very boring. Only our 6 year old enjoyed it. Once we gave RCCL a try, there was no turning back! We also gave Carnival a try this past summer and nobody in our family enjoyed that one.

Funny

My kids wouldn't go in the clubs on RCI, and didnt like the films being charged for in the rooms, they like watching anything on the stateroom TV, I didn't like paying on top for things like soda packages where on DCL is included.

Funny

My kids wouldn't go in the clubs on RCI, and didnt like the films being charged for in the rooms, they like watching anything on the stateroom TV, I didn't like paying on top for things like soda packages where on DCL is included.

We don't cruise to watch movies in the cabins. We can do that at home. We spend very little time in our cabins.

The OP mentioned that their kids liked RCCL. So based on this comment and am betting they would find the Disney Magic boring at their age. I think it really comes down to what your kids enjoy. Our kids like the more sporty based activities, which there is a lot of on RCCL (in particular the Freedom and Oasis class ships). As far as the kids clubs go, we have had hit and miss. It all depends on who is running the clubs, what kids are in the clubs and what activities are planned.

Our kids don't drink soda so this is a non-issue. To be honest, even if they were soda drinkers, they would still rather go on a RCCL cruise (Freedom class).

Archived