Hurricane Sandy

metrowon

No bashing from me. You have to understand that Metrowon is one of the biggest DCL cheerleaders so you have to take what he says and what the others who were complaining said and meet somewhere in the middle to get the truth.

Bill

You must be stalking me! I really enjoy cruising with the Disney Cruise Line. However your 9000+ post indicate you have an opinion about everything .. I don't listen to Diane Sawyer, so you must since you know what she said. And since you weren't there, people should know your 9646 opinions are just that! I have mine based on fact, yours is conjecture. Metrowon

I too was on this cruise. This was our 11th with Disney. We had a forward cabin.

I was scared, I am a light sleeper so I was not asleep when we hit the big wave. Everything flew off the desk and any other flat surface. I did get dressed, my husband just laughed. I am thrilled with a 25% discount. People are really getting themselves way too upset. Yes it was rougher than the captain expected. But he knows his ship. We were told not to crowd the atrium but people did and then were upset over the crowd. We had breakfast around 8am. Then went back to our cabin for a while. Then went up to deck 11 to wait it out. They even opened the outside restaurants for lunch. So we had one final lunch with our friends. It only took us about 20 minutes to get off the ship and through luggage pick up and customs.

It was a great cruise, the Fantasy is a beautiful ship. The shows were amazing.

We will definitely be back!!!

Thanx, as I'm being sorted out as a Disney cheerleader. We'll be back, next October. Metrowon

I'm just sitting here thinking of all of the times that I told new cruisers "go ahead and cruise in hurricane season, rough seas are rare and besides, the ship will just go somewhere where the seas aren't rough"

Uh, oops.

Yes, its a bit like the lottery really, although in some was the exact opposite, my lottery ticket doesn't come up, sailing in hurricane season is normally OK you have to be really unlucky to hit this frankinstorm.

I'm just sitting here thinking of all of the times that I told new cruisers "go ahead and cruise in hurricane season, rough seas are rare and besides, the ship will just go somewhere where the seas aren't rough"

Uh, oops.

I know, I was just telling someone that a couple of months ago for a 3 day cruise out of Miami on 10/12. I also tell them that all of mine have been in the summer which is hurricane season and no problems.:cool:

I know, I was just telling someone that a couple of months ago for a 3 day cruise out of Miami on 10/12. I also tell them that all of mine have been in the summer which is hurricane season and no problems.:cool:

Host Mick is actually very good.

A moderator on another cruise site tells people not to buy trip insurance as its too expensive!!!!

Uh, oops.

I am going to add that urban legend (the ship will avoid hurricanes!) to my other urban legend (which, for us, has been disproved over and over),

it is a huge ship, you won't feel the movement!:eek:

Frankly I am very disappointed in the way this was handled, both Fantasy and Dream.

Disclaimer, I was not on either cruise, but I have been in 35 ft seas. Very scary.:eek:

Thanx, as I'm being sorted out as a Disney cheerleader. We'll be back, next October. Metrowon

I love DCL and have no problem being a cheerleader. We have also done RCCL and HAL. We are booked on a MED NCL next April. We cruise every October on DCL with our Disney friends. This was our first bad experience and it was really only the last night. The first 5 days were amazing, beautiful new ship!!

Host Mick is actually very good.

A moderator on another cruise site tells people not to buy trip insurance as its too expensive!!!!

Host Mick, is actually Great! He's been reading my reviews, and opinions for a few years now. He could have edited my response to SS OCEANLOVER, he chose not to. Friday night aboard the Fantasy was rough. Three rogue waves did hit the Fantasy. They were big, and in the dark. Catain Tom, was the !st Disney Cruise Line employee hired, probably 15 years ago. He supervised and watched the constuction of all of the Disney ships. He knows them from top to bottom. I trust him with my life when I board a Disney ship. I've sailed with him on 7 of my 13 cruises. I sleep well, knowing he's in charge. I also sleep well, knowing the other Captains that DCL hired were trained by him. Captain Tom has more authority than corporate Disney, it's his ship! It was tense, and I understand people's complaints. We were however, never in extreme danger. I will cheerlead DCL. My experiances with DCL have been OUTSTANDING! One bad weather day, out of 75 days at sea will not deter me. DCL does it right! Three cheers! Metrowon

Host Mick, is actually Great! He's been reading my reviews, and opinions for a few years now. He could have edited my response to SS OCEANLOVER, he chose not to. Friday night aboard the Fantasy was rough. Three rogue waves did hit the Fantasy. They were big, and in the dark. Catain Tom, was the !st Disney Cruise Line employee hired, probably 15 years ago. He supervised and watched the constuction of all of the Disney ships. He knows them from top to bottom. I trust him with my life when I board a Disney ship. I've sailed with him on 7 of my 13 cruises. I sleep well, knowing he's in charge. I also sleep well, knowing the other Captains that DCL hired were trained by him. Captain Tom has more authority than corporate Disney, it's his ship! It was tense, and I understand people's complaints. We were however, never in extreme danger. I will cheerlead DCL. My experiances with DCL have been OUTSTANDING! One bad weather day, out of 75 days at sea will not deter me. DCL does it right! Three cheers! Metrowon

:):):)

Yea, and look what happened when the captain made a mistake.

On Wednesday, when we left St. Thomas I met a port pilot. The port pilot can be seen on the Allure of the Seas maiden Voyage leaving St. Thomas. Youtube: Allure of the Seas, Maiden Voyage. While the Concordia, never sailed out of St. Thomas, the port pilot had worked with the same Captain of the Concordia disaster numerous times. The port pilot told me, without quotes, Everytime I worked with him there was an arguement over how to do the navigation to leave St.Thomas. Don't compare Captain Tom's judgement with the ill fated Concordia's Captain decision making process. The Concordia's Captain will pay for his Bravdo, and poor judgement. While it was rough going, on Friday night, the Fantasy wasn't the only cruise ship in the same situation. Check it out! Loss of life= ZERO! I love second guessers and conspiritists about money, and corporate things. We really never landed on the moon either. Metrowon

The Disney Fantasy is larger than any aircraft carrier in the United States Navy. It's longer and heavier. Check it out! Our cruise may have had minor damage, however we fared much better than the shore people who lost their lives in New Jersey, and New york City. I witnessed the ravages of the Ocean and Mother Nature on a ship, built to do just! We've all seen New Jersey. The second guessers, and naysayers, are just that. And don't bring up the TiTanic stuff. 20+ years ago the QE2 was hit with a 100 foot wave and survived. The Fantasy shook, rattled and rolled! The storm has nothing to do with hurricane season. It's Mother Nature! We do not as people worry about the ocean weather. Ocean weather is however a big dynamic in cruising. It happens! It happens all over the world, since 70% of the world is water. Captain Tom did fine, The Fantasy did wonderful, and we all got home late. We got home late because Captain Tom wasn't a Maverick!

We just got off the Carnival Dream a week after Sandy affected cruises.

The CD for the Dream reported that a grand piano "flipped" on the Fantasy during Sandy. That seems a little extreme as they would appear to be not only very heavy, but, also very stable. But, at least that's what was reported to (by) him.

The CD for the Dream reported that a grand piano "flipped" on the Fantasy during Sandy. That seems a little extreme as they would appear to be not only very heavy, but, also very stable. But, at least that's what was reported to (by) him.

I think Carnival, and particularly Carnival Dream has a vested interest to knock Disney whenever they can and anything they say on ship should be taken with a large pinch of salt.

Didn't happen! In fact some of the items that looked trashed were placed on the floor for safety, as the weather got rougher by the crew! Grand Piano upside down. Not! Metrowon

Archived