Celebrity Silhouette TA April 2013

JonAlone

Hi Rob,

Welcome to the group! :) The people here are terrific are were the main reason why I decided to book this cruise. I too have booked solo and this is my first Transatlantic crossing. I can't wait! It's fun to see all of the excitement building here and will be great to meet everyone. Fun will be in no short supply!

Looking forward to meeting you.

- Michael

Toronto, ON

Hello Gentlemen (and any ladies that might be on this thread as well). I know I'm joining this cruise rather late but I'm excited about being on this ship for this passage. I'm traveling solo and it's my first long cruise (why start small lol). Just wondering if it's a friendly group of people on the boat and how the Friends of Dorothy meeting work etc. As I said I'm traveling solo and would hate to think of two weeks of solo dinners and martinis as well. Looking forward to hearing any thoughts and looking forward to hopefully making some new friends on this trip.

Cheers,

Rob

Hi Ian. I'm from Toronto too and, after the winter we've had :eek:, we deserve this cruise! Snow be gone!

Ian here from Toronto. I see some familiar faces from last year (Jon!)... looking forward to meeting you all. Booked recently and got an amazing deal~ Balcony Guarentee.. ended up in a Category B1... Very Happy! 8:30 Dining. My buddy Keith is on board as well~ it's going to be fun fun fun!

Hi there. Another Torontonian! It looks like everyone is leaving town :) Coming back, my TA found a good rate on a Choice Air flight to Toronto via Frankfurt.

Tragically, I won't have time to spend in Rome this trip. I'll need to get back to "work" - it really is a 4 letter word!

Just wanted to say Hi...I am in Toronto as well...another friend has also booked on this cruise...we are both travelling single as well...looking forward to making some friends on board....what flight are you taking back to Toronto

I'm going to get to the ship between 10 and 11 so that by the time we get checked in, blah blah blah it will be around lunch time. Our rooms won't open until 1p.m. which means we can have a nice easy lunch.

I'm staying at the Hampton Inn near the airport, free shuttle from the airport, and free shuttle to the ship. Does your Resort have a pool?

Hey TravelingOx...I am in FLL for three nights before the cruise....can't decide what time to go to the ship.....where are you staying in FLL...I am at the Grand Palm Resort....a Gay hotel...about ten to fifteen minutes from the port

Hello AlohaChuck...boy there are a lot of us insomniacs on this cruise....probably see everyone at three in the morning walking around....definitely not for breakfast...my best sleep is between 6 am and 10am....lol....This is my second TA cruise....LAst year was my very first cruise....went by myself but had on the same ship....

Hey Keith, I don't have a problem with sleeping; when I am not traveling I usually get to bed around 9:30 or so and read for an hour and then I am up at 6:30 when the coffee pot goes off. Of course when traveling and especially on a cruise everything is out of whack; but that's OK it is nice to change the routine......

hmmmmmmmm Canada??

Is that in North America?? :p

Looking forward to meeting you guys!

Get your pics on ************* dot com asap so we can all recognise each other on-board.

Apparently Speedos are compulsory on all European and Transatlantic sailings!!

You may laugh, but if you go to a public pool in France, Speedo style swim briefs are mandatory as are swimming hats!

I love clothing optional (I'll be at the nude part of Orient Beach), but doubt the scenery on this cruise will be as good as the scenery on an RSVP or Atlantis cruise. So this may be a case for private dances, as Howard has suggested.

not sure I would want that with this cruise ....

Seems we are getting a good group. Sorry I don't do Trivia, it shows how stupid I can be.?

Several have said this before, everyone try to meet at the Martini Bar 7PM first night.

Howard: The first to reply were Keith and Ralph from Canada.

Ken & Al. See you soon.

I am so looking forward to it. I am so happy I got the room I want, on the cruise I wanted and I am ready for an adventure. Not sure how the whole dining thing works quite yet but I'm a quick learner. I saw that there is some sort of opening night party type of gathering at 7pm. Is this correct. Would love to start meeting some new peeps!

Cheers,

Rob

Not sure how the whole dining thing works quite yet but I'm a quick learner.

Are you on Select dining? If so, meet up with others at the "FOD" meeting (7pm in the Martini Bar) and join up to make a table. If you are fixed dining (which I am), I'm assuming Celebrity have allocated people to "singles" tables, but as this is my first solo cruise I really don't know.

Are you on Select dining? If so, meet up with others at the "FOD" meeting (7pm in the Martini Bar) and join up to make a table. If you are fixed dining (which I am), I'm assuming Celebrity have allocated people to "singles" tables, but as this is my first solo cruise I really don't know.

Even on fixed dining there is usually no problem changing tables if you want to, as long as there is room...

Just ask the Mairtre d' to arrange it for you...

I am so looking forward to it. I am so happy I got the room I want, on the cruise I wanted and I am ready for an adventure. Not sure how the whole dining thing works quite yet but I'm a quick learner. I saw that there is some sort of opening night party type of gathering at 7pm. Is this correct. Would love to start meeting some new peeps!

Cheers,

Rob

Hey Rob, I am new to this also so maybe one of the seasoned cruises can fill us newbies in. How does select seating work? Does a group of people just show up when they are ready to eat and they find a table for you? What if you have assigned seating but want to sit with others that are select or you want to eat in one of the special dining options?

Chuck

Hey Rob, I am new to this also so maybe one of the seasoned cruises can fill us newbies in. How does select seating work? Does a group of people just show up when they are ready to eat and they find a table for you? What if you have assigned seating but want to sit with others that are select or you want to eat in one of the special dining options?

Chuck

Select means you can eat in the main dining room at no fixed time... you turn up to the entrance they use for select (Usually top floor on the right) and ask the Maitre D' for a table for however many in your party.

We used to ask for a table for 8 in the same place every night, and they held it for us..

Select usually has better waiters and table service... as the gratuities have to be prepaid.

If you are regular seating, others can join you at your table.. It is a possibility you can sit with others in Select, but it could be refused... (if you prepay your gratuities you can still choose select)

Whatever main dining room bookings you have, if you want to use one of the speciality restaurants, you just book the table in the chosen restaurant and dont turn up in main dining room that night.

Select is VERY useful for singles, as you can keep your options open... turn up in the Martini Bar for FOD drinks (Friends of Dorothy) and ask to make up a table... Just dont be shy!! ... some of the weirdest people who others thought unfriendly have, for me, turned out to be the most fun for conversation at dinner....

If you are AquaClass, you also have access to BLU... there is absolutely no access to BLU unless you have an AquaClass cabin. (I know from bitter experience! ) Even tho you may have BLU as your dedicated restaurant, you are still able to go to main dining room as a Select diner...

I hope this answers your questions... just dont worry about eating on your own or with people you dont know... I usually try to go to my dedicated table on the first night, just to see who they have put me with.. after that I have chosen to stay or move... or go Select... but usually it is easy to make up a gay table... so try upstairs near the balustrades overlooking the restaurant below for the best atmosphere and great service.

Select means you can eat in the main dining room at no fixed time... you turn up to the entrance they use for select (Usually top floor on the right) and ask the Maitre D' for a table for however many in your party.

We used to ask for a table for 8 in the same place every night, and they held it for us..

Select usually has better waiters and table service... as the gratuities have to be prepaid.

If you are regular seating, others can join you at your table.. It is a possibility you can sit with others in Select, but it could be refused... (if you prepay your gratuities you can still choose select)

Whatever main dining room bookings you have, if you want to use one of the speciality restaurants, you just book the table in the chosen restaurant and dont turn up in main dining room that night.

Select is VERY useful for singles, as you can keep your options open... turn up in the Martini Bar for FOD drinks (Friends of Dorothy) and ask to make up a table... Just dont be shy!! ... some of the weirdest people who others thought unfriendly have, for me, turned out to be the most fun for conversation at dinner....

If you are AquaClass, you also have access to BLU... there is absolutely no access to BLU unless you have an AquaClass cabin. (I know from bitter experience! ) Even tho you may have BLU as your dedicated restaurant, you are still able to go to main dining room as a Select diner...

I hope this answers your questions... just dont worry about eating on your own or with people you dont know... I usually try to go to my dedicated table on the first night, just to see who they have put me with.. after that I have chosen to stay or move... or go Select... but usually it is easy to make up a gay table... so try upstairs near the balustrades overlooking the restaurant below for the best atmosphere and great service.

Thanks Jon, I knew you would be the one to enlighten us. Now I just have to make sure I get my ass to the martini bar at 7:00PM so I'm not left out in the cold; so to speak.

Chuck

Good morning all. Jon, excellent discription of how the dining works. It is so easy to do anything you want. Last cruise I started out as select, which was upper left side :) of dining room. Withing 3 days I had joined a really delightful table that had set themselves up here on this board, prior to boarding. I have to say I'm always a little afraid of just jumping in without first seeing. However, after meeting everyone in the Martini Bar, I was amazingly happy with so many offers to dine. On my last crossing, on the Constellation, I met this wonderful couple. A Scottish Lord and his husband. They even har the spectacular Penthouse suite and they threw a private party . Oh to be that wealthy. And sweet too.

I had a dental emergency this past week and I have to hope that they can fix this or everything will have to be in a blender. If I had insurance, I probably would cancel, because it's really bad, but as they say, "The show must go on". I never take insurance as I'm going either standing or lieing down.

Have a very happy Easter everyone,

Howard in (I just looked out window), another beautiful day in Fort Lauderdale

Thanks Jon, I knew you would be the one to enlighten us. Now I just have to make sure I get my ass to the martini bar at 7:00PM so I'm not left out in the cold; so to speak.

Chuck

Didn't know you could take animals on board? Maybe I'm missing something in the translation!

Howard, travelling without insurance? Yikes!

A few years back while on Infinity I got a blistered rash on the back of my hand. The blisters burst. I tried keeping it clean with antiseptic, till I woke up one morning with a pain in my armpit and realised I had picked up an infection that had spread to my lymphatic system. The bill from the ships hospital came to just over $2000, and the insurance covered everything over the first £100.

Even if you have to get cover that excludes any pre-existing conditions, I would say always get insurance. Imagine the cost of being airlifted off?

I guess you know what you are doing, but if I didn't have insurance I don't think I would sleep at night.

Archived