Celebrity Silhouette TA April 2013

JonAlone

Its OK Chuck, we Brits speak American these days. But do you Americans speak British these days?

Years ago, (30 actually!) I tried telling one of my American cousins a joke. "Whats the difference between an egg and a wank". It fell flat because he didn't understand what I meant by a wank.

Incidentally, if there are any people from the North of England on board, "Chuck" is a general term of endearment. If you walk into a pub in Manchester, you are likely to be greeted "yes chuck, what can I get you".

Its OK Chuck, we Brits speak American these days. But do you Americans speak British these days?

Years ago, (30 actually!) I tried telling one of my American cousins a joke. "Whats the difference between an egg and a wank". It fell flat because he didn't understand what I meant by a wank.

Do try to find out before ordering breakfast!!!!

I met this wonderful couple. A Scottish Lord and his husband. They even har the spectacular Penthouse suite and they threw a private party . Oh to be that wealthy. And sweet too.

I had a dental emergency this past week and I have to hope that they can fix this or everything will have to be in a blender. If I had insurance, I probably would cancel, because it's really bad, but as they say, "The show must go on". I never take insurance as I'm going either standing or lieing down.

Have a very happy Easter everyone,

Howard in (I just looked out window), another beautiful day in Fort Lauderdale

When I came to Fort Lauderdale many years ago, we travelled all over the place looking for places to waterski. We even schlapped my ski all the way from Palma! I seem to remember a lake at Denia (?) was the best!! But sitting on the beach in FL, (in my then str8 days) we met an american school teacher who my friends decided I should take back to the apartment... They told her I was Lord Jonathan of Rickmansworth, (where I lived) that I lived in a small 20 bedroom mansion as we had closed the east wing, and that there was no way I drove a Rolls Royce ( as the chauffeur naturally did the driving!) - She fell for it all and promised to tell the kids at school she had met me... So whether it was a "true" Scots Lord or just a "Laird" (a landowner) may be worth investigation..... A Lord sits in the British House of Lords and I cant think of a out Gay one from Scotland! (but I could easily be wrong..)

I hope your implant problem wont spoil your holiday... is it a previous implant thats gone wrong or a new implant?? I had a crown removed a couple of years ago and love the implant as it is virtually trouble free as long as I DONT over floss it and clean the gums well, but gently. The crown always seem to fall out the night before leaving for a cruise... I cant think how many times we had to find a late night emergency dentist to stick it back with a few hours before the airport taxi arrived!!

When I came to Fort Lauderdale many years ago, we travelled all over the place looking for places to waterski. We even schlapped my ski all the way from Palma! I seem to remember a lake at Denia (?) was the best!! But sitting on the beach in FL, (in my then str8 days) we met an american school teacher who my friends decided I should take back to the apartment... They told her I was Lord Jonathan of Rickmansworth, (where I lived) that I lived in a small 20 bedroom mansion as we had closed the east wing, and that there was no way I drove a Rolls Royce ( as the chauffeur naturally did the driving!) - She fell for it all and promised to tell the kids at school she had met me... So whether it was a "true" Scots Lord or just a "Laird" (a landowner) may be worth investigation..... A Lord sits in the British House of Lords and I cant think of a out Gay one from Scotland! (but I could easily be wrong..)

I hope your implant problem wont spoil your holiday... is it a previous implant thats gone wrong or a new implant?? I had a crown removed a couple of years ago and love the implant as it is virtually trouble free as long as I DONT over floss it and clean the gums well, but gently. The crown always seem to fall out the night before leaving for a cruise... I cant think how many times we had to find a late night emergency dentist to stick it back with a few hours before the airport taxi arrived!!

That's what they make crazy glue for....:eek:

Howard.

Look on the bright side. Maybe there are some things you could do better without teeth.

Dogs on QE2, if you were bringing them to the UK, they would have gone into quarantine, but perhaps if you were emigrating to the States they may have been admitted?

Now, you can take your dog on holiday with you within Europe if it has a pet passport, which is an embedded microchip. We don't have rabies in this country, and we are trying to keep it that way.

How's this for my use of British...

In any given group of punters, you might find gents, chavs and wankers. ;)

Oh, I'm impressed. Although purely on the grounds of accuracy, we gents are a dying breed!

I blame or commend BBC America, depends on your etymological point of view.

The shows most responsible are The Inbetweeners, Skins, Kitchen Nightmares, Graham Norton & Top Gear.

Yes, mostly puerile humor, but it does make me laugh out loud quite audibly.

A few years ago I attended a live taping of Graham Norton in Waterloo, quite memorable! He has such a quick wit, IMHO a British Treasure..

In April there will be a new comedy series on British TV - ITV (channel 3) called Vicious. It stars Sirs Derek Jacobi & Ian MacKellan as a gay couple who have been together for 48 years. Both well past their prime... with their friend played by Frances DeLaTour and a cute neighbour Iwan Rheon from MisFits.

I was at ALL the recordings (6) and they were filmed in the same studios that George would have seen Graham Norton.

Look out for it on ITV and ITV Player (on-line) ... I certainly will be recording them if we are away when it debuts on British TV though I understand the release has been moved from April 20th to much later in the year. They are filming the Christmas Special next week, so I assume some time now in September / October for the release.

I blame or commend BBC America, depends on your etymological point of view.

The shows most responsible are The Inbetweeners, Skins, Kitchen Nightmares, Graham Norton & Top Gear.

Yes, mostly puerile humor, but it does make me laugh out loud quite audibly.

A few years ago I attended a live taping of Graham Norton in Waterloo, quite memorable! He has such a quick wit, IMHO a British Treasure..

I was forgetting about BBC America.

I love Graham Norton, his show is one of the few thing on TV worth watching. He gets such amazing guests, and I love the look on their faces when he gets an American guest for the first time who is astonished at what can go out on air over here. Being in the audience for a recording is great fun. The whole thing is recorded live and runs for about 90 minutes, and is then edited down afterwards. The only cuts are while they set the stage for the live band, and then he records the trailers at the end, but they could easily broadcast the whole 90 minutes. However, I think he would consider himself an Irish treasure!

Love the Inbetweeners as well. Top Gear? Very butch!

I probably watch more US TV than British, how times have changed. Particularly liked Six Feet Under, Desperate Housewives, Ugly Betty, sadly all now finished. My current favourite is Glee (how gay!) - those guys are so talented.

I was forgetting about BBC America.

I love Graham Norton, his show is one of the few thing on TV worth watching. He gets such amazing guests, and I love the look on their faces when he gets an American guest for the first time who is astonished at what can go out on air over here. Being in the audience for a recording is great fun. The whole thing is recorded live and runs for about 90 minutes, and is then edited down afterwards. The only cuts are while they set the stage for the live band, and then he records the trailers at the end, but they could easily broadcast the whole 90 minutes. However, I think he would consider himself an Irish treasure!

Love the Inbetweeners as well. Top Gear? Very butch!

I probably watch more US TV than British, how times have changed. Particularly liked Six Feet Under, Desperate Housewives, Ugly Betty, sadly all now finished. My current favourite is Glee (how gay!) - those guys are so talented.

GLEE !!!!! oh dear....:eek: You do realise they mime, surely!!!

Once you have the story line, which is always the blond lesbian trying to screw it up for the supposedly straight good looking team, except the obligatory large black girl, goof in a wheelchair, jazzy black guy and camp chubby homosexual, which of course all works out well in the end.... it is just a rehash every week! Just how many state finals are there???

Few US series are the standard of Skins, InBetweeners, Misfits, Men behaving badly, Downton Abbey etc - though one or two are exceptional - Big Bang Theory, Third Rock from the Sun, How I met your Mother...

I am currently trying to get into a US series new to UK, called The New Normal. It takes a few episodes to get going and to start to identify with the characters, or even like them..

Just wait for Vicious. I am sure this will be cult viewing with this level of acting ability. A cross between Golden Girls and Rising Damp. The recordings were hilarious as MacKellan and Jacobi have been friends since university days (the out-takes too were special!) and the casting of Frances DeLaTour is pure genius. Ewan Rhian makes great eye candy and he fluffed his lines far less than the more seasoned professionals. Each episode took about three hours to record.

My third visit to the studio for Vicious coincided with the House of Commons vote to allow gay marriage equality. At the end of the recording Sir Ian and Sir Derek announced the result that the bill had been passed to a stand up ovation from a mainly straight audience! Now that was more moving than anything on a TV series, it was the UK moving forward and starting to prove its worth as a frontrunner for a free and equal society.

oh... lol... as I edit this yet again:

Although I like Graham Norton as a person, he lives very local to me and I see him in the supermarket and have shared cabs with him too.. one can not compare the professionalism and skill he has to that of Jonathan Ross. In the recording studio, Jonathan comes over as charming, putting his audience and guests at ease and able to converse at any level with stars of stage and screen as well as all genres of music. He is well researched and has fantastic personal knowledge on a wide variety of subjects. I always feel that part of Graham Norton's charm is that he is "winging it" and generally gets by on his camp humour and innuendo to camera. Jonathan Ross is far better in reality than he appears on TV, Graham Norton is a TV personna and a little introvert in reallity.

The New Normal - I've watched every episode, and I want to like it, and Andrew Rannells is cute, but it just ain't funny.

Vicious - thanks for the tip off. I've set up TiVo for a wish list recording.

Glee - of course they mime, as they do in most musical films/videos - but they mime to their own soundtrack. The dancing is so energetic, it would sound awful if they sang live. But they have some really talented singers. Chris Kolfer is amazing. And given your knowledge of the superficial plot (yes, OK, there is only one plot and its the same every week) you are obviously a closet fan Jon!

Don't get me started on Jonathon Woss. I refuse to watch the man since his disgusting prank phone call to Andrew Sachs.

Insurance: Is so inexpensive, for this trip the Medical & Evacuation is about$120 for two of us.

I pay Columbus travel ( or Insure&Go ) around £70 - $100 for annual cover.

Note to self: Never leave predictive text turned on when needing the word "Annual"

Looking forward to this TransAtlantic. This will be my partner and I's fourth

crossing on Celebrity. Have met many great people and made some good friends.

Especially looking forward to partying with those great Scottish Boys, Brian and Ian.

Safe Travels Everyone!

Two more Scots in the form of Alastair and Brian on this sailing too... I met them on Solstice TA last year.

Remember to put your pics on cruise fellows dot com all one word. Just search for this sailing and easy to load..

Looking forward to meeting you all..

Jonathan and CT

Nothing beats a dinner jacket with a clan tartan kilt !

We have a chap McKenzie who always his kilt to our formal events in Palm Beach, always a classic look... with his sporran no less... timeless

especially with mobile phones being able to take good pics from any angle! lol...

Are you taking your Backgammon board?? I am looking on line for a decent size travel backgammon mat... if I cant find one I may buy a small tablecloth and print one myself if you aren't taking yours..

Hi Jon,

So far Stephen from Vancouver and I are on this. We are trying to talk other friends into joining us.

Celebrity has AQ cabins in sale in the US. Not sure about in the UK.

You have been a bit quiet of late!!

Are you both still coming on this trip??

Looks like it should be a fun crowd!

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

Yes, Stephen and I are still on this cruise.

Anyone eating in Blu? We love Blu. We ate in the Lawn Club Grill last September on the Silhouette and had a great time. Dining al fresco and not having to cook or clean up - that really appeals to me.

Looking forward to meeting everyone. We are staying at the Grand for two days before the cruise. Anyone else there?

Hi Jonathan,

Yes, Stephen and I are still on this cruise.

Anyone eating in Blu? We love Blu. We ate in the Lawn Club Grill last September on the Silhouette and had a great time. Dining al fresco and not having to cook or clean up - that really appeals to me.

Looking forward to meeting everyone. We are staying at the Grand for two days before the cruise. Anyone else there?

I am sure many will be in Blu.. we are as are our 2 friends from Germany. I cant remember which cruise I met you on?? I think it was Equinox TA ?? If so you may remember the 2 boys from Germany too..

Archived