Breeze Are you allowed to take food off the ship when it stops ?

granni10

Every ship I have been on, there are signs posted every where that states no food is to be removed from the ship while going ashore. There are instances where the cruise lines will provide a "box lunch" for some of their sponsored excursions, but they do not include fresh fruit. On the private islands, food is brought over from the ship, but since it is a private island, there is no threat of contamination to agriculture.

We always have. I'm not paying for food at port when it's on the ship! I never felt like i was sneaking it off either, it was just our day bag...I don't remember hearing anything or seeing anything, but I likely wasn't looking either.

In fact, we once bartered in Jamaica with a pack of fruit loops...

I don't recall which port, but one time when I took an empty bag with me ( I brought it to place my purchases) off the ship, I was pulled aside so the empty bag could be inspected. They were looking for food she said.

In Cabo all bags are inspected as you get off the tender, and all unpackaged food (mostly fruit) is confiscated. The bins were overflowing .

Living in So Cal we know how much damage one piece of infected fruit can do to an entire crop. There have been times when we couldn't bring fruit from one county to another in order to avoid infestation.

Better to be safe than sorry.

No one said a word to us leaving the ship at any of the 3 ports! The guy in front of us getting off at either Freeport or Nassau had a whole big bag of chips because his 2 kids were fighting over it so I clearly remember. I didnt see any buckets of confiscated food. I didnt think I was breaking any laws by having a snack with me.

Chips are a pre packaged food.

You should always be mindful of what you take off or bring back.

This is slightly off topic, but it always is good advice.

You are a foriener in a foriegn land, subject to their rules.

In some places taking shells and coral is illegal.

It's tempting to pick up some V-pillz, or maybe a little ganja, mon :rolleyes:

Heh, Years back, a friend of a friend, came home pregnant ! :eek:

Have a great vacation, OP. Thanks for letting me post this public service message

Archived