Tres Amigas Review - Allure of the Seas Oct 14, 2012…Ole!

delacruz

P1020327.jpg

were seated at a large table. I felt bad for them, it was potentially awkward sitting with people who have been chatting (even if online) for the past year or more. I still missed how they ended up sitting at our table - they weren't on our Roll Call....much less they never even heard of Cruise Critic! I don't remember their name, but they took it in stride and seemed to have had a great time too."

The couple was in line in front of us when we arrived and the host asked if they had a preference for their table, they said "no" and were ushered to our table. WE were a little afraid that Butch and Macy would be left out, but when they arrived the host just drug another table over to add to ours and it all worked out well. Their names were John and Jennifer, (I believe) something with double J's...I gave them the cruise critic sell...and a card with my contact info for CC. They ended up just blending right in with our crazy little group... after the three margarita's who cared anyway??? LOL!!. :eek::rolleyes:

Day one, check in was a breeze, and as Judi said, we were seated in the Gold section as we are 'just'... 'lowly gold members' LOL...and the DH had just struck up a conversation with those around us when Paul crept up behind us and sat down to talk, the 'bouncer' came over and told us that they could not be seated in our section, but we could join them if we wanted...and then we ran into Macy and Butch and before you knew it we were seated in with them in the Emerald section as Judi reported.

A word or two on the service: I forgot to look for the WOW cards at check in and other than our room steward, didn't really find anyone I would have given one to..that's a convo for another time. We did encounter a great bar tender at the solarium bar, but one of the waiters foisting drinks on us really could have taken a lesson on 'no means no'. Other than that, we had the 'usual' great service that we've come to expect with Royal. I don't think Judi and Macy had the same experience...maybe they should have been with us on the 10th floor, lol.

A word or two on our room: the A/c problems that I'd heard about on CC boards seemed to be in the process of being worked on while we were on board. The maintenance team started forward and worked their way aft during the week we were on board. We should have saved money from our bar bill as the smell of solvent fumes made us high as a kite just walking down the hall. We accused our poor room steward of turning off the A/C while we were in St Thomas [80% humidity and temps in the 90's] so entering our room to the sweltering temps was not very welcome! Turns out they'd been working on our a/c unit and apparently when they were done didn't turn it back on... the rest of the week was fine, just that one day in a very hot room was not fun. Try putting on tight clothes while sweating like crazy...that and after being out in the heat all day, we just wanted to come back to the room and lie down in the cool air and 'nap' for a bit before the festivities of the evening...didn't happen.

The highlight of Day one was of course was Rita's...plans kinda fell throught after that for what else we had planned.:o

I really did want to purchase a shirt for sail away...but after plans for Rita's and the dress I was going to wear, I decided not to as I figured I wouldn't have time after sail away to run to the room to change...and worried that our luggage wouldn't be there to do that anyway...they were great shirts and I'll probably purchase one of her 'addicted to cruising' shirts [with a hello my name is... on it..hint,hint Judi] Or one that has my tag printed on it... "If found please return to room_____" maybe we can velcro numbers and change them out for each cruise...lol

Day one, check in was a breeze, and as Judi said, we were seated in the Gold section as we are 'just'... 'lowly gold members' LOL...and the DH had just struck up a conversation with those around us when Paul crept up behind us and sat down to talk, the 'bouncer' came over and told us that they could not be seated in our section, but we could join them if we wanted...and then we ran into Macy and Butch and before you knew it we were seated in with them in the Emerald section as Judi reported.

A word or two on the service: I forgot to look for the WOW cards at check in and other than our room steward, didn't really find anyone I would have given one to..that's a convo for another time. We did encounter a great bar tender at the solarium bar, but one of the waiters foisting drinks on us really could have taken a lesson on 'no means no'. Other than that, we had the 'usual' great service that we've come to expect with Royal. I don't think Judi and Macy had the same experience...maybe they should have been with us on the 10th floor, lol.

A word or two on our room: the A/c problems that I'd heard about on CC boards seemed to be in the process of being worked on while we were on board. The maintenance team started forward and worked their way aft during the week we were on board. We should have saved money from our bar bill as the smell of solvent fumes made us high as a kite just walking down the hall. We accused our poor room steward of turning off the A/C while we were in St Thomas [80% humidity and temps in the 90's] so entering our room to the sweltering temps was not very welcome! Turns out they'd been working on our a/c unit and apparently when they were done didn't turn it back on... the rest of the week was fine, just that one day in a very hot room was not fun. Try putting on tight clothes while sweating like crazy...that and after being out in the heat all day, we just wanted to come back to the room and lie down in the cool air and 'nap' for a bit before the festivities of the evening...didn't happen.

The highlight of Day one was of course was Rita's...plans kinda fell throught after that for what else we had planned.:o

I really did want to purchase a shirt for sail away...but after plans for Rita's and the dress I was going to wear, I decided not to as I figured I wouldn't have time after sail away to run to the room to change...and worried that our luggage wouldn't be there to do that anyway...they were great shirts and I'll probably purchase one of her 'addicted to cruising' shirts [with a hello my name is... on it..hint,hint Judi] Or one that has my tag printed on it... "If found please return to room_____" maybe we can velcro numbers and change them out for each cruise...lol

About those WOW cards...on our last cruise on the Freedom we were not given the cards although I had heard about them (remember I get discombobulated during check-in:confused:) and we DID have wait staff who deserved it. Guest Services didn't know what we were talking about when we asked for them, but the program had just been implemented and we finally got them.

So our service on the Freedom in 2011 reassured us that it wasn't a downhill trend after our Oasis cruise in 2010. On that cruise we felt that the level of service wasn't what we'd experienced on Royal Caribbean before. Generally, they seemed rushed and harried more than usual. In discussing this with some on our Roll Call, the theory (which made perfect sense) was that since the Allure was about to make her maiden voyage, much of the best crew members were 'shipped' over there to start out with an experienced staff.

Well, there were no excuses like that this time, and we were NOT wowed. We tried hard to think of someone to give a WOW card to, but nobody even came close to consideration.

We remarked on the first day how unusual it was for us to not see our room steward at all the first afternoon. As we were touring the ship and scouting out the 'secret' deck 14 we saw room stewards all over delivering luggage. When we went back to see if ours was delivered, they were all piled in the hallway with others, but no room steward in sight; we just got it ourselves. It took a couple of times of leaving notes asking for ice and hair conditioner (mine didn't travel well) before we got them. A couple of times we heard him being reprimanded by his supervisor, and overheard him grumbling often.

We're pretty good about re-using our towels, but after a while throw them on the floor (indicating we want fresh ones), and I swear that they ended hung back up; not even neatly. Worst of all....no chocolates on the pillows:eek:.

We also never had the best service in the Dining Room. This was at least our 3rd time doing MTD so we know that it's much more difficult for the servers compared to Traditional Dining where they take everyone's order at one time, bring out each course all together, etc. But it felt like they were always scrambling and running around frantically.

We're very easy going and always try to be aware that the room and wait staff are not our personal slaves waiting to mind-read our every whim, but I remember thinking very often that I was SO glad that we were having the best cruise on a SOCIAL aspect, because the service aspect just wasn't there this time. Obviously, it's the luck of the draw since Sherri just reported that generally they had the 'usual' great service.

While I'm on the few negatives of the cruise...

We also had issues with the air conditioning in our cabin. We would often check to make sure the balcony door was locked but it would often feel humid and warm even with the AC turned down. We also got a notice in our room that they'd be accessing the balconies while we were in St Thomas.

And what was up with the water? The water in the shower was either scalding hot (I was surprised that it would really get lawsuit hot!), or freezing. We could rarely adjust it at a good in between temp, and I overheard quite a few conversations about this too.

And the last negative while I'm on a roll....our Meet & Mingle:(

I'm really curious to know if any cruisers from recent sailings had a similar experience as ours - the time was changed and we were rushed out with no time for mingling. More on that in just a bit.

Our Meet & Mingle experience:

Being the obsessive over-planner that I am (well, in my defense, you really have to plan on these mega-ships since there's SO much to do!), I created a calendar for the week for us, and read over the most recent Eastern Caribbean Compasses to see how the other events mixed with our schedule. I noticed that the change in time for the Crown & Anchor Recognition Event conflicted with the 10:30 am time for our M&M at Dazzles; I was surprised at that since I thought a lot of the 'involved' people would want to be at both...like US! Rather than the usual evening in one of the lounges, the C&A event was 10:30am on the Boardwalk! Oh, well, the M&M mingle was more important to us than the usual C&A shpiel and watered down drinks.

One of the last things I said on our Roll Call before we flew out was to make sure to go to Guest Services if the invitation to the Meet & Mingle wasn't in the cabin by Monday Evening (the M&M was scheduled for Tuesday 10:30am at Dazzles - according to the 'Scheduled Party List' on RCCL website.)

Suddenly Monday night I realized that WE hadn't received our invitation, so we went to GS. They said we'd have to come back in the morning since that coordinator wasn't available. Somewhere along the line we ran into Sherri who told us about the change in time; they had received their invite.

After going back twice the next morning, she met with us, and told us we hadn't registered and couldn't get an invitation. Not only did I start the Roll Call on CC, I was the first one to register for the M&M! I was the keeper of the list of names. The QUEEN of the Roll Call!:p Again, good thing I'm organized when it comes to cruise paperwork, cause I ran back to the cabin to show her my both the emails for when we registered and when the 25 person minimum was reached...she begrudgingly told us we could go!:mad:

The change in time and venue was 2:30pm IIR at the Comedy Club.

I was SO looking forward to meeting so many people that I hadn't met yet. We got there just a little early (we had rearranged some things since we weren't expecting the schedule change) and had time to grab a cup of coffee and begin chatting a bit when the M&M began. Typical winning of the raffle tickets, a bit of talk, and before I knew it, it was over...because there was a Diamond Shopping talk about to begin in the room! WHAT????:eek: We tried to spend some time meeting and chatting, but got kicked out. I guess having people come in to be talked to about about spending money was more important than people happy to be on a cruise together.

I'm so sad even now that we didn't have the chance to put all the faces to the names and talk. I know that it's easier for me to be all chatty on the keyboard than in real life, but I still wanted to spend more time together. We were all pretty stunned about it, and I really wanted to make some kind of complaint about it, but haven't gotten around to it, or even know who to contact.

Our Meet & Mingle experience:

After going back twice the next morning, she met with us, and told us we hadn't registered and couldn't get an invitation. Not only did I start the Roll Call on CC, I was the first one to register for the M&M! I was the keeper of the list of names. The QUEEN of the Roll Call!:p Again, good thing I'm organized when it comes to cruise paperwork, cause I ran back to the cabin to show her my both the emails for when we registered and when the 25 person minimum was reached...she begrudgingly told us we could go!:mad:

I'm really enjoying your review! This sort of behavior just infuriates me. I do not fault people for not knowing something. But if they don't know the answer to something....don't make stuff up or fib about it! Go and find out the answer from someone, as this is part of your job responsibilty.

I get that in my professional life as well and I get really annoyed about it.

Well, here I am..........better late than nevah! Right? Third Amiga, :) Macy (Marcy to you, Sherri!) :p I have to say that this cruise was great socially. I feel like Butch and I met 4 very good lifelong friends along with many others who I truly do look forward to cruising with in the future. What was funny was how many times we kept running into our CC RC thread members all over the ship. Sheila and Jeff (Oreok) and Butch and I must have had GPS magnets attached! We always ended up together! Not to mention, Tarius (Jeff) from Canada. We even sat on Junkanoo Beach together along with some real fun youngsters from Ireland! (Don't ever try to outdrink those guys......right, Paul?!!)

A little about Butch and Macy. We are from Selma, Alabama (Macy from Dothan, AL originally........that's on the way to Panama City Beach, FL for all you spring breakers!) We are also diehard Univ. of Alabama fans having gone to school there. ROLL TIDE! Sherri and Mike could appreciate that cheer..........don't think Paul and Judi actually cared. LOL. We had sailed on the Oasis and the Allure previous to this cruise and therefore knew pretty much every nook and cranny available to spend any time. We also did not feel the urge to make every bit of entertainment available having already done it. One fabulous repeat on the entertainment agenda for us was BLUE PLANET. Could see that one many times over. Amazing. We are late 50's and very energetic. Love to get out out there and DO! In other words, we don't sit still too much. So, I guess you get the picture. We're overgrown kids. :D

As for the trip, let's see if I can add to Judi's amazing assessment of the cruise. She's right. We became fast and furious chatters on our roll call. (Not to mention Facebook group chatters.....which was beyond fun!!!) Sherri allowed us to help plan her wardrobe and also Judi wore Sherri's gloves to the PP and allowed me (the last minute costume planner) to wear her black ones. Thank you Judi! All in all, I think we looked pretty good. It's amazing how those flapper costumes make you want to talk funny! And you should hear my southern accent in costume mode. Hysterical.

Oh, let me warn you about that 17th Street Causeway Bridge should any of you wish to watch the ships sail from that vantage point the night before your sailaway. Whew. It's a heck of a lot steeper than it looks and it's a booger to climb. Great view! I'm in reasonably good shape and I thought my heart was going to explode. Well, we were late getting there and I was dragging poor Butch behind me to arrive before Oasis sailed and I totally blew off my new Amigas! Sorry about that, girls!

Embarkation: It was a breeze. We stayed at the Hyatt Pier 66 (secured on Priceline for the bargain of about $85.00/night including taxes). It is on the opposite side of the 17th St. Bridge. (Thank goodness for that taxi that drove me back across that sucker after dinner!) We took a taxi to the port around 10:30 a.m. . Very easy, quick, inexpensive ride. Zipped right through the line and into our Emerald waiting area where the others eventually joined us. (We made Diamond this sailing, wonder if their little rule will work there??) We were able to board around 11:30 (I think). Once boarded, we scurried around getting soda pkgs, checking on Rita's Cantina and getting our first drinks of the voyage.

Then it was off to the Central Park and Park Cafe. Darn, where did that rain come from???????? Beautiful place! Ah, photos soon. (What on earth did Photo Bucket do to itself?)

Thank goodness you showed up finally Macy....I thought others would think we made you up! :p

I don't know WHAT's going on with Photobucket. I switched to the new interface to see what your problem was, and then MINE was broken (although it worked OK in Google Chrome, IE9 and Firefox...just not in IE8). It was a Java error, so I worked on that, and eventually fixed it, but can't tell you how!

Overgrown kids...that hits the nail on the head for what we are...hey and since I'm 1 year younger than you, I don't call myself late 50's yet:rolleyes:, although I can't get away with 'mid' any more!

But even if the 50's are the new 30's, that 17th St bridge....WHOA! I can do a full hour of Zumba and not have my heart pounding like it did on that bridge! Since the original plan was to cross the bridge and then we'd have at least another mile walk, 1/2 the bridge was quite far enough, thank you! It wasn't the same experience as I imagined, but like everything else on this cruise for us -the fact that we were together was the most fun.

Next time we'll take a cab and get up close and personal to the ship!

Luckily, after all those months of the Tres Amigas chatting and our DHs getting dragged into this, they all got along swimmingly also! (Macy I'll 'steal' your photos until you can get back into it.)

DSCN0642.jpg

(I think they were scheming on how to purchase that yacht in the background!)

Speaking of Zumba - to get off track again - I had heard that the Allure will sometimes have Zumba with a certified instructor, or at least 'Latin dance class' or something to that effect. I was hoping to keep up with my workouts, but I scoured the Compasses and didn't find anything beyond 'Party Line Dance Class', 'Flash Mob Dance Class', 'Lady Gaga Dance class', and maybe a couple of others. Fun, but not a real workout.

When we sailed the Oasis 2 yrs ago, our largest ship to that point was the Explorer. So we were certainly WOWed getting on board. I remember our first afternoon exploring the ship and walking past a fellow passenger who was muttering ' Wow, all I can say is 'Wow'' under his breath! Perfect reaction! Last time I was so excited I thought I'd explode; this time it was a different kind of experience, but still SO amazing.

Somewhere between getting on the ship and going slightly separate ways we lost track of Butch & Macy. Hmmmm, suddenly all that discussion on the Roll Call about chocolate cookies popped in my head...sure enough! We found them at Cafe Promenade. (Sherri, now I'm stealing YOUR pics)

IMG_0455.jpg

Planning is half the fun!!!!!!!!!!!:)

It really is! I can't imagine taking a cruise without it. OR not going crazy between cruises if I couldn't live and breath and dream about it. :p

I've had several experiences of being in a Travel Agent's waiting area and hearing them book a cruise for someone without any recommendations, or pointing them in any direction to do research. I've been known to scribble the Cruise Critic website on a scrap of paper and hand it to them as they're leaving!

One of my co-workers mentioned yesterday he was interested in going on his first cruise for his 1 yr anniversary. I asked him about timing, budget, interest, etc. During my lunch break I already had the whole shebang planned for him, including best airline and flight. $191 pp RT from Reagan to Tampa in April? I'm going! Oh wait...I'm going to San Juan instead with Mike and Sherri....and Butch & Macy - we KNOW you want to join us!

Yes, Macy, you and Butch really need to find an open room somewhere on the Adventure and come along!!!

Day two: Nassau. DH and I had already planned the Segway tour we booked through Jeff with Nassau @ segway intl .com cost was 130 for tour and transportation for two. We got a discounted rate as Benyae and companion joined us on this tour. It was a lot of fun.

DH during 'training' course before the tour...

SANY0216.jpg

SANY0217.jpg

driving along the beach area...

Don't we look goofy in our safety gear?

SANY0221.jpg

on our way to the obstacle course races...we're pro's now!

SANY0228.jpg

We checked out the Junkanoo beach area where we were going to try to hook up with Paul/Judi and Butch/Macy...but didn't see them anywhere along the area, so we headed back to the ship for these...

SANY0098.jpg

note the date on the camera...yes, the food porn was taken earlier in our cruise...the boardwalk doghouse was one of our most frequent stops for lunch, snacks...we only tried the windjammer on the last day...disappointed. Park Grill was all that it was hyped up to be. Never ate at Izumi's or whatever the sushi place was called. The Solarium Bistro was handy so we ate there alot, the peach yogurt parfaits were to die for...should have tried them the first day and not the next to the LAST day...[note to self] Though we love Johnny Rockets, we never made it there either?? not sure why...oh, yeah, why have a hamburger for 4$ when the fabulous hotdogs are right there for free??? {sorry, I was too into eating my food porn and not taking pictures of it...so that shot above is the only food porn you'll get from me...Samba's grill was too dark and the photos I attempted there didn't turn out too well...just sayin']

SANY0230.jpg

SANY0206.jpg

We were booked for Ice Games show...never made it. We were rather enjoying ourselves in the Solarium. Glad I decorated our door, thought that didn't prevent us from trying to open a door later in the trip...yes, alcohol was involved...I was getting p'd that someone took my door decorations when I realized we were in the forward hall, not the aft!! Oh, my! Just so you know, the bartender at the solarium bar knows how to make a great margarita...

SANY0159.jpg

SANY0245.jpg

Saying good bye to NasSANY0193.jpgsau...

SANY0242.jpg

Day two was also formal night number one...

SANY0247.jpg

so we were treated to towel animals and chocolates...

the Captain's reception...the champaign might have been free, but I prefer something fruitier...

IMG_0481.jpg

and it was Chicago night for us...Great time...great show!IMG_0485.jpg

the tags I made for us...I believe Paul and Mike might have needed them after Rita's...lol

IMG_0412.jpg

Day three was a sea day, so we explored the ship...and tried to enjoy the Solarium, but by then the water was very hot, and I almost was scalded by the water. NOTE Please let the water run for a while and test it before stepping into the spray...the chrome is out in full sun and gets super hot heating the water to near melt your hide off temps...just beware.

a pic from our abbreviated Meet and Greet...

P1010013.jpg

Samba grill for dinner was great. Come hungry...I made it through 3 courses and couldn't go the other 6 or so...nice ambiance.

P1010027.jpg

more almost food porn...

P1010030.jpg

We were booked for the comedy club, but don't remember what happened that we didn't make it...we probably went into a coma after eating so much at Samba's.P1010031.jpg

DH and the 'dancing girls'...

Needless to say we missed the Love and Marriage show too...darn.

Tomorrow is the St John's tour...Sunrise in St Thomas...

P1010040.jpg

Oh, Amiga #2, nice pics and good memories! No wonder Mike was smiling! Actually, he looked happier than I did when I discovered the cookies! And we all know that I can inhale plates of those fabulous rascals! Come to think of it, we were both probably as happy as when Paul was on the 17th St. Causeway Bridge planning on how he was going to win the Powerball and purchase that Yacht for our future travels! :D Now, let's not forget what made Mr. Butch happy!!! :cool: ICE CREAM! Free "scream" in 3 places around the ship. (Wipeout Cafe and 2 banks of machines behind the pool bandstand.)

OK, Amiga #1, let's give this Photobucket another chance in Google Chrome!

Why on earth is this man so happy?

IMG_0958.jpg

These girls are pretty happy too! Waiting on those roast beef "samiches" at Park Cafe (even if it did rain!).

IMG_0948.jpg

Hmmmm..........Paul...aka crazycatsailor........why are you happy?

IMG_0941.jpg

Hmmm..........3 happy men!

IMG_0940.jpg

And look! My cats are huge, but this badboy dwarfs my kittyboys (even at a whopping 25 lbs!)

IMG_0950.jpg

Great start to a very fun vacation finding all of our favorites to eat and drink around the ship. HOME AGAIN! The sea is calling!

Now, on to sailaway. As Judi said, we couldn't go to the forward wings on 14 due to high winds, so we went aft. Good thing. It RAINED. Oh well! We still had fun and it's a great covered place to sailaway with a group!

IMG_5479.jpg

See, I told you it rained!

IMG_5482.jpg

After running back to the room and fluffing my wet hairsprayed hair (yuck!), we headed to Rita's Cantina (fashionably late + Geneva and John were sitting in Mama and Papa Bear's Chairs. Oh well, we drug up more tables and chairs and made new buddies! Converted them to CC too!) Didn't have a bit of fun either.

Don't believe it??? See for yourselves!

IMG_5530copy.jpg

IMG_5529.jpg

IMG_5519.jpg

IMG_5513.jpg

IMG_5499.jpg

IMG_5493.jpg

Nassau! Well, that's a short stop. If you've been as many times as we, you just start looking for a beach rather than heading to Atlantis for the umpteenth time or strolling through the straw market for the way too manyieth (LOL!!) time. So, we headed over to Junkanoo Beach which is about a 15 minute walk to the right of the pier. It's not a bad little beach but be forewarned....... water shoes would be appropriate there. They appear to have dredged the bottom and there are rocks (that hurt) everywhere. It was clean though and there were stands selling adult beverages. :-)

ShallowGenePool.jpg

DSCN0654.jpg

DSCN0651.jpg

DSCN0650.jpg

And.......then we're off to the next port. It's a lovely sail out of the harbour with Atlantis and the lighthouse in the distance.

DSCN0663.jpg

Next stop.........St. Thomas (at least I think that was the next stop!) As Judi and Sherri said, we elected to take the ship excursion (because we didn't want to be left...LOL!) to St. John. The Captain pointed out all of the important sights and gave a bit of a history tour along the route. Rather entertaining as well as interesting.

Yes, we are the Queens of the World!

DSCN0674.jpg

DSCN0671.jpg

Judi, you're an overachiever. LOL!

DSCN0691.jpg

Sheri, you're a Southern Belle with that lovely hat!

DSCN0692.jpg

Butch, are you looking for property to buy?

DSCN0693.jpg

Next stop......St. Maarten. One of my all time favorite islands in the Caribbean! Hands down! What's not to love?

We arrived in St. Maarten, disembarked and hung out on the square waiting for Bernard (Bernard's Tours) to whisk us away to a day of fun! Which it definitely was! No doubt! We had an absolute fun day with 10 of our CC RC thread friends. We even had our own van to ourselves. So, off we went.

IMG_5562.jpg

In the front, it's Capecodrn (Bennaye) and sister, Susan. In the rear, it's Farmer's Wife (who I did not get to spend enough time with!)

IMG_5592.jpg

A beautiful stop along the way to view the sea urchins

IMG_5586.jpg

Oh, Paul.........careful with that critter!

IMG_5579.jpg

You too Butch! (Yours was not as scary!)

IMG_5581.jpg

Archived