RCI and a 4 year old

Discodaisy

Hi Everybody, I have been busy reading all your posts about cruising. Thank you all for your great advice.

I still have a few questions in preparation for our first cruise. We will be on the Radiance for Christmas and are counting down the days :)

- my daughter drinks a lot of milk. full cream/skim/light all ok. will there be real milk on board or is it long life etc

-we haven't booked any shore excursions as we are familiar with all the ports and are thinking those might be quieter days on board. what do you think? I have checked out and found a few parks/cafes close to the ship if we need them

- will our 4 year old need an active cruise card for any thing? she doesn't drink soft drink

- we could bring a travel dvd player for her as she has a few favourite dvd's for quiet time, i am expecting that she will have a sleep most days

-some people have talked about a sign on their cabin door, do many people do this?, if so what do they put on them?

- 4 year old is keen to try the water slide. can a parent slide down with her the first few times until she gets the hang of it ( first time slider) or is there an age limit on it

- 4 year LOVES Christmas but not so keen on santa. Will I sound crazy if I let the kids club staff at the beginning of the cruise not to surprise her with santa ( as in a person dressed) or she will probably run crying in the other direction.

- I'm really looking forward to dancing to real music ( ABBA or 80's) will that be possible or will it all be stuff I don't recognise

- for all your posts I know miss 4 will be a bit nervous about the toilet flushing noise, do you suggest I bring a toilet seat to make her feel more stable. She hasn't used one at home for a few months and uses public toilets ok

Thanks again to all the families with young children your questions and answers have reassured us this is going to be a great family holiday.

There will be plenty of milk...have no fear! It's "real"...in those little cartons!

Yes...port days are quite nice on the ship with most of the crowds gone!

Yes...you child will get a seapass...you will keep it with you, since she won't be anywhere alone. She will need it to get off and on the ship. She doesn't have to carry it herself.

There are no TV connections for a DVD...if you bring one, it needs to be self-contained.

Some folks decorate their doors....not something I've ever felt a need to do! They are metal, so magnets will stick.

I don't think the slide is large enough for an adult....

Sure...tell the staff that Santa is scary to her. They understand how kids are!

The ship's band is usually very versatile....they will play lots of different style music in the "disco".

Just don't flush until she's well away from the toilet! I wouldn't lug a child seat, unless she needs it!

Archived