keep checking for lower rates

calliopecruiser

Just a reminder to occasionally check in on your reservations to see if they're offering things at a lower rate now than when you booked it......I just booked a room at the same hotel in Miami for almost $50 less than when I booked it several months ago (so I canceled the first after I made the second reservation). I do the same with rental car reservations - check in periodically to see if what I want is being offered at a lower price.

Why didn't I use a discounter/booking site? I don't often find they are much cheaper, especially if the hotel offers a discount for Auto Club or frequent flyer members. I always check several of those sites, but usually the savings don't impress me (YMMV - it probably depends on which properties and which dates). In fact, usually I find booking with the hotel directly on line is at least no more expensive and I have more options - and sometimes it's cheaper (eg with membership discounts).

I agree 100% about rechecking rates. Last year prior to our honeymoon cruise, we booked the cruise pkg at the Holiday Inn Rocky Point in Tampa. Initially, it was $119. I kept checking and found a one-time special for $89. That was a complete steel considering it included a bay view king room, hot breakfast, airport shuttle and a shuttle to and from the port. All incl in the rate. I checked the rates on their web site but booked by calling the hotel direct.

Ditto with a rental car for my Fla trip last month. Orig booked 11 days at $317 and kept checking. Ended up with $268 incl tax and all fees. Not bad for a compact car with pick-up and return, right outside baggage claim.

*** It does pay to keep a vigilant watch on rates. :)

We book early and also check and if the rate goes down (Hotel, Rental Car, etc.) we have them revise the reservation accordingly. The is no down side to this and the additional upside is that sometimes rates go up so you are protected for that by booking early.

Keith

We book early and also check and if the rate goes down (Hotel, Rental Car, etc.) we have them revise the reservation accordingly. The is no down side to this and the additional upside is that sometimes rates go up so you are protected for that by booking early.

Keith

Yup! The smart traveler books an early rate that can be canceled 24-48 hours prior to arrival, then shops around for an even better rate.

Same goes with your cruise reservation, checking that weekly can reveal a sale on your cruise date.

Archived