NCL Spirit 9-Day Canary Islands- Nov 6-15, 2012 - Review and Pictorial

computerworks

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everybody,

I am just trying to keep the thread alive....

Waiting to hear from you

Oops accidentally posted on the wrong thread and now can't figure out how to delete....sorry

Still anxiously waiting for the Malaga pictures and report

Edited by Ssislandgirl

Still anxiously waiting for the Malaga pictures and report

Thanks for the tickler... :p

I apologize to all for not wrapping this up in a timely fashion. As most all have experienced, life gets in the way when you return from a cruise.

Let me post our day in Malaga right now, then wrap it all up shortly.

Day 8 - Malaga

This port had the longest stay; we were not scheduled to leave until 7pm.

Since we had been to Malaga before...and took the all-day tour to Grenada and the Alhambra on a prior visit, we decided to explore the Costa del Sol this time.

(If you have never seen the Alhambra, it should be your first choice when visiting Malaga...it is simply amazing.)

We had our rental car waiting for us at the cruise terminal. We used http://www.malagacars.com and they were very accommodating.

This is an important note if you are driving at this port. The Marine terminal in Malaga is huge...and has many different sections. Be sure to remember where you started from!

Finding the passenger terminal is a challenge....you can't get there from within the commercial Marine terminal.

Take notes when you drive away in the morning, so you can find your way back!

There are two ways to get to the Western resorts near Marbella...a coastal road and a toll highway. We decided to sightsee on the way out and took the southern road that went thru each of the resort areas.

Arriving in Marbella, we found a beautiful resort town with a magnificent promenade.

8204486928_a38ba87d9e_b.jpg

8203395479_410fd3b695_b.jpg

The beaches are not your typical white-sand types that you see in the Caribbean, but darker, as in most European beaches.

8203395421_e6eb0daceb_b.jpg

We stopped at a nice seaside cafe for some coffee and croissants.

After that, we strolled and shopped.

8203395375_ca1171df83_b.jpg

8204486708_9334d2f729_b.jpg

8204486662_535ab0c435_b.jpg

We stopped for lunch in one of the many cafes that surround the Marina...what a beautiful day in a beautiful place.

8401792265_abdec56e61_b.jpg

This is our car for the day...a Smart Car. I like to rent things I have never driven before... This was a hoot to drive.

No problem on the highway at speed, although it gets a little spooky over 140 km/h

8204486274_d3dea54cec_b.jpg

We decided to take the toll road back to Malaga. Nice scenery and no traffic. I guess local folks would rather avoid the toll.

8203394799_2daf22e739_b.jpg

Back on the ship after a great day, we went to Cagney's for my birthday dinner.

8203394759_236a6d98ba_b.jpg

I chose the steak for 2...for one. Forgive me...but it was my birthday.

8203394697_f42f47c52b_b.jpg

After a great dinner, we went to see Elements and the Cruise Finale in the theater.

8203394629_fe52659e22_b.jpg

Armando, the Hotel Director acknowledges a wave to him from us...

8204486014_324808a4ae_b.jpg

8203394527_d8baf45bf9_b.jpg

The Captain of the Spirit...

8204485962_17ff752e7b_b.jpg

Well, the day was done and it was time to call it a night. We were met by a surprise when we returned to our cabin.

Belkys, our concierge, and Mary Jane, our butler, had decorated the room with ballons and confetti and filled the table with surprises and treats.

8204485916_38011c2e87_b.jpg

8402881604_da41e8219e_b.jpg

This was really a surprise, because we never mentioned a birthday to either of them.

While we were settling in for the night...the phone rang and it was both of them singing Happy Birthday!

I was really touched by this... what a treatment!

I really should stop here and describe what an amazing Concierge Belkys is.

I have never experienced that attention to detail and the level of service and assistance.

It truly seemed that whenever we had an issue or a question, Belkys was there in an instant, anticipating our needs.

My wife and I joked that if I ever so much as mildly scowled at something...it was like the Bat Signal for Belkys...she was there to solve the cause of the scowl.

She administered all the obligations that suite guests are entitled to...and so much more.

Wherever we were...she showed up and made sure all was going smoothly...often being at a location before we arrived, just to be sure all was OK.

This was an attitude that was pervasive throughout the crew on the Spirit... above and beyond was the norm.

I really hope I get to sail with her again.

8203394337_3ab8b1be3c_b.jpg

8203395579_88b5585fa6_b.jpg

What a great day this was.

One more Sea Day to go...and our trip would come to an end.

More later...

Thank you so much for this review computerworks. It is fabulous. We are going to be on the spirit to the canaries in April. I am also looking forward to your next cruise reviews because we are sailing to Bermuda in June and then to the Greek islands june 2014.

Thanks again for the all the hard work

Regards

Petra

We took the opportunity to upgrade to a suite and have room 10000. Was that close to your suite?

Roses1007

We were in this suite in December and absolutely adored it!

My camera was not working well, I don't have any pictures of the inside of the suite. It is front and center of the ship and sits out just a little further from the cabins on either side and you cannot see them from the balcony and no passengers are allowed on the deck forward below you.

483625_4954129380781_719856220_n.jpg

Here is one taken on the balcony with my phone.

It got a little windy some of the evenings out at sea, but having spent some time on my father-in-laws' yachts, we loved it! When it was calm, we spent more time on the balcony than out in the public areas, it was just so peaceful and quiet. In the Mediterranean at night, we were able to go out on the balcony because it was very calm, but you have to keep your lights off because the bridge is just above you. This actually works in your favor because with so little light pollution, the stars are beautiful. We had a wonderfully romantic moment after spotting a falling star, passing through the straits of Gibralter.

It seemed larger than Computerworks pictures, but probably because you enter into a hallway with a half bath on the left before you enter the main part of the cabin. There is a small table in the entryway that served as a nifty catchall for the working camera, room cards and sunglasses.

The bathroom is HUGE. Loved the little vanity table and stool all to myself.

One of the nicest things about it was every time you see the ship, you can see your balcony. It's just a really welcoming feeling to see your home away from home waiting for you.

Have a great cruise, you'll love the Spirit!

• 3 weeks later...

Computerworks,

How did you get on with your car hire in these ports? Did you get the car quickly after arriving? Did you get the car full of fuel and return it full of fuel? were they all booked up front, or did you just arrive at the terminal and get a car then? any other guidance you can give me?

Computerworks,

How did you get on with your car hire in these ports? Did you get the car quickly after arriving? Did you get the car full of fuel and return it full of fuel? were they all booked up front, or did you just arrive at the terminal and get a car then? any other guidance you can give me?

Hello... we reserved all our cars in advance online.

Here are the companies we dealt with:

Rodavante in Madeira. Very nice people and easy to work with. We had them bring the car to the cruise pier; they met us right outside the gate. With a pre-arranged time, they met us back at the pier to pick up the car.

Cicar in both Tenerife and Lanzarote. On both islands, they have their office right in the cruise terminal area.

In Tenerife, their office is in the Marine Terminal building, just opposite the Fred Olsen ferry dock, at the end of the cruise terminal pier. It is a long walk, since the ships dock end to end.

In Lanzarote, they have an office just at the end of the pier, inside security. Very easy pick up and drop off.

Malagacar in Malaga. We had them deliver and pick up the car right at the cruise terminal. A little confusion, since the terminal area is very big. They will meet you in a large parking lot away from the main terminal area...just a short walk.

As far as fuel, I recall it was bring it back at the same level you took it out at.

Terrific review. Really enjoyed the photos and thanks for taking the time to post everything. We also enjoyed seeing the pictures of Armando Da Silva. He was HD when we cruised the Med on Jade and took fantastic care of our roll call group.

• 6 months later...

I know this thread is a little old, but I was wondering about a few things.

For the rental cars - did you take out extra insurance? Did you feel unsafe at any point (we love to rent cars, but worry about accidents and theft)?

Also, in Galaxy of the Stars.. is that a working pool table??? Post #17, in the background. Just curious!

Thanks.. we're excited for this trip, even if it's over a year away!!

For the rental cars - did you take out extra insurance? Did you feel unsafe at any point (we love to rent cars, but worry about accidents and theft)?

Also, in Galaxy of the Stars.. is that a working pool table??? Post #17, in the background. Just curious!

Thanks.. we're excited for this trip, even if it's over a year away!!

Most of the time, no extra insurance. The rentals often included sufficient liability insurance.

Yes, that is a real usable pool table. :p