Walking tour / free things?

kornkitten

Hi everyone,

My family and myself will be in Costa Maya in December. We are doing excursions in a few other places so this is kind of our "down" day on our cruise. We were wanting to take in the sights and see what there was without spending a whole lot of cash.

We would love to see picture -esq places, beaches, shopping, just small things without having to fork out major money for a tour or excursion. (Also, best food? We would love to see what we should try at this port of call!)

I know that the Bahamas port of call locations have great walking tour write ups and I was hoping there would be one for Costa Maya.

Thank you for all of your help! I tried to search but it's not pulling up what I need. Sorry in advance if I am doing this wrong. Happy Holidays!

It's really cheap to take a cab into the small village of Majahual, close but not something you can really walk to. Walk out of the tourist trap Carnival Cruise Line port area and hire a taxi. People at the gate may give the impression you can't do that which is not true. You can swim at the free beach (all beaches are free in Mexico) or find plenty of places to eat or shop. It's no problem to hire a cab back. My wife and I like this port as it's a cheap stop and fun. Several years ago Majahual got hit by a hurricane. When they rebuilt it became more of a built up tourist area and lost most of the fishing village charm. We miss the old village but still enjoy it. (Everyone has to make a living). Some people just hang out at the port and don't venture out but we prefer to walk out of the port and head straight to Majahual. Happy cruising! :cool:

ps...The cabs are not in the port area but will take you back to the gate.

Hi everyone,

My family and myself will be in Costa Maya in December. We are doing excursions in a few other places so this is kind of our "down" day on our cruise. We were wanting to take in the sights and see what there was without spending a whole lot of cash.

We would love to see picture -esq places, beaches, shopping, just small things without having to fork out major money for a tour or excursion. (Also, best food? We would love to see what we should try at this port of call!)

I know that the Bahamas port of call locations have great walking tour write ups and I was hoping there would be one for Costa Maya.

Thank you for all of your help! I tried to search but it's not pulling up what I need. Sorry in advance if I am doing this wrong. Happy Holidays!

I booked a table at Tropicante, the owner Steve is American and a table or beach loungers are free, all he asks is that you buy your food and drinks from him. Her also has free wifi and many other things for rent pretty cheap on or near his property. (1 hour masssage for $25.00, kayaks rentals, scuba and snorkeling). His place is #1 on trip advisor. To get to him you walk out of the secure port area to the taxi stand at the Hard Rock cafe (closed, but taxi stand is still open). Taxi is $2.00 per person and abot a 5 minute ride. His site is sandalsandskis dot come. Cheap and easy. We will be there on the 13th Ithink as we arrive on the Star.

I have walked from the port to Mahahual which took about 30 minutes to the lighthouse. Wouldn't due it again as the taxis are very cheap and there was not really much to see and too hot in the sun.

I would not spend my time in the Carnival built cruise port as it is a tourist trap and feels very confining. Take the other peoples advice and go outside the gates of the port, it is very safe and take one of the waiting taxi to go to Mahahual.

Have been to Tropicante and can recommend it as the food is good, cheap massages, cheap snorkeling and Steve Uhl is very friendly. Costa Maya is one of my most favorite stops as it is very relaxing and beautiful.

Read the info from Tripadvisor.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g499450-Mahahual_Costa_Maya_Yucatan_Peninsula-Vacations.html

Archived