Retirement of Entertainment Director

capnpugwash

Ray Rouse was CD on my first ever cruise back in 1993. That was on RCI Majesty of the Seas. Thought he was top class then tbh. Next time I saw him was on the QM2 ship video tour!

Not seen him in action for Cunard but he was a natural and a very personable bloke from memory. Happy retirement Ray.

Maybe he'll appear on the last leg of the QM2 world voyage next year? If he does, I might well see him again.

Probably time for some new ideas.

I like Keith Maynard's style, he's a funny man.

I like Keith, too. I was surprised that, on our TA, he didn't start his jokes with "You won't believe what happened to me today." I thought it was his standard way into a joke. I asked him about it, and he said it works better for longer voyages, when people get into the joke. Remember how he would walk out on stage after a show, and there would always be someone in the audience who would call out, "What happened to you today, Keith?"

He did do a joke each night. He recycled a few jokes I'd heard him tell before.

I like Keith, too. I was surprised that, on our TA, he didn't start his jokes with "You won't believe what happened to me today." I thought it was his standard way into a joke. I asked him about it, and he said it works better for longer voyages, when people get into the joke. Remember how he would walk out on stage after a show, and there would always be someone in the audience who would call out, "What happened to you today, Keith?"

He did do a joke each night. He recycled a few jokes I'd heard him tell before.

Yeah I do remember that. :) Although the first time I heard him say "You won't believe what happened to me today" I thought he was telling a real story..:o

He's really good, I'm hoping he's on board in Feb 2013.

Lucky you being back on board so soon.

Retired Captain Paul Wright is an ambassador as is Maureen Ryan who was a very popular social hostess and served aboard numerous Cunard ships for many many years.

Oh yes, the wonderful Maureen Ryan! -- what a simply wonderful social hostess with a history dating back to the original Queen Mary. She is a true Cunard treasure and noone has come close. We miss you Maureen!!!!

Cunard will never be the same without you.

Personally, I like Ray Rouse a lot but I think it is time for fresh blood (hopefully not literally!) Even with Cunard's traditional entertainment there is a need for more enthusiasm and vitality in the entertainment department. I am a great fan of Keith Maynard - I actually find his stories genuinely funny and he is a very visible, involved Ents director when I have seen him on QE and QM. I wonder if his sights aren't set on greater things than long-term Cruise ship entertainment though?

I was never a great fan of Ray Rouse, he seemed to be invisible most of the time and I never like to see a lecturer left to introduce himself as happened too many times.

Of course cruise directors on big ships can't be expected to get involved in the same way as on the smaller ones, but let's hope some younger ones will try to be a bit more visible.

And let's not forget the ladies.

David.

Personally, I like Ray Rouse a lot but I think it is time for fresh blood (hopefully not literally!) Even with Cunard's traditional entertainment there is a need for more enthusiasm and vitality in the entertainment department. I am a great fan of Keith Maynard - I actually find his stories genuinely funny and he is a very visible, involved Ents director when I have seen him on QE and QM. I wonder if his sights aren't set on greater things than long-term Cruise ship entertainment though?

I believe that Keith leaves Cunard in January 2013 which is a great pity.

Do you where he is going?

We met him on the Queen Victoria when he first started and we had the feeling he would be " going places". :)

We enjoyed Ray, but Keith did give a new vitality to the entertainment staff.

Lorraine

Do you where he is going?

We met him on the Queen Victoria when he first started and we had the feeling he would be " going places". :)

We enjoyed Ray, but Keith did give a new vitality to the entertainment staff.

Lorraine

He is leaving the cruise industry totally, this is him now - http://www.facebook.com/KeithMaynardTV?ref=ts&fref=ts

That's shame. I was looking forward to seeing him in action in February 2013. I wonder who will replace him?

I don't suppose there's any truth to the rumours that Jimsgirl has signed on for a 2 year contract. :)

I sailed with Ray in the early days Of QM2 and he was good then. I look forward to seeing him as an Ambassador ,on board.

Keith is a funny man and he really livened up the QM2.I hope to sail with him

soon before he leaves Cunard.

I think your chance of achieving your hope is quite remote as he left QM2 yesterday and leaves Cunard next month.

That's shame. I was looking forward to seeing him in action in February 2013. I wonder who will replace him?

I don't suppose there's any truth to the rumours that Jimsgirl has signed on for a 2 year contract. :)

Considering her wealth of experience and her stamina, Jimsgirl would make an good candidate for the job. -S.

On QM-2 last week I passed a Maitre d' talking to someone more senior in the Hotel Department and I caught, "He's leaving because he wants a career in TV". It struck me at the time; I wonder if they are talking about Keith Maynard. He'll be a loss to Cunard.

After the last act of the last show on the last night, the audience were waiting for Keith to make his usual appearance and crack his joke about who is going to G32 etc.

Keith did not appear and for a couple of minutes there was a stony silence until everyone rose from their seats to exit the theatre.

Archived