The Copenhagen Card

Hello All,

Before I read this thread I was thinking of using the "Hop On Hop Off" bus for our day in Copenhagen, but now I'm not sure if the Copenhagen card is a better purchase (maybe combined with the HOHO bus? mostly for the "commentary").

I loved Steve's 3 day itinerary, and am wishing we had more time in Copenhagen (always the case), but for 1 day, what should I be trying to do that isn't covered by the HOHO bus?

I know that this is a personal question and everyone will have different ideas, but all suggestions are welcome!

Thanks.

Elin

Swdke: I think you and I talked last year when I was planning our trip to Copenhagen before our Baltic Cruise.

Princess Di: You also just helped me with information on the Tahitian Princess also.

We bought the 3 day Copenhagen Card last year when we were there before our Baltic cruise on the Grand. We flew in 6 days ahead, so we had a lot of time. Definitely don't date or time your card until the actual first time you use it. We took the trains to all three areas that have been talked about. Our absolute favorite though was out to Helsingor and Kronberg Castle. It is an absolute must. The town area is such fun to walk around in and the people were so very friendly. Had we taken our actual passports with us taht day, we could have taken the ferry across to Sweden. Another must is Hillerod. We did each one of these areas on a different day because we had quite a bit of time. Do Roskilde if you have time. Truly, we didn't care much for the Viking Museum. It was just okay! When you are in Stockholm, the museum there is so much better and not to be missed. The best part of Roskilde is the church at was built in 1000 AD. This is where all the Kings and Queens are buried. It truly is beautiful and interesting. For the trains, you do just board the trains with the card. The only time it was actually checked was on the way to Roskilde. That is a different type of train and they had conductors that came through and checked everyone's tickets. On the "S" Trains it was never checked.

The Card does not give you a free tour on the canal boats. Truly, I don't think it even discounted it much either. There are 2 different companies at the canal with these tour boats. One company is twice the price as the other one. Both do the same routes, but the cheaper boats do not have a covering on top. We opted for the cheaper one, but don't know it if differed much from the other. Had seen Rick Steve's talk about this on one of his shows, and knew that this was the difference.

The Copenhagen card does give you unlimited use of public transportation, which is nice. It doesn't give you a free ride on the hop on hop off buses though. I can't remember if it does give a discount or not. Unless things have changed from last year, it only gave a small discount for Tivoli also. It didn't give you free access at all. I had been in Tivoli back in 1986 when I was on another cruise. It was very disappointing now compared to then. To me this was our only waste of money there.

The card is a good purchase if you plan on taking the trains. We felt that it paid for itself in that respect only. The small discounts you get for admission to different places though isn't enough to cover the cost of the card.

One thing we did that was fun was take a walking tour of Copenhagen. We met outside the tourist office and hooked up with a guide who takes a small group. She had excellent information and gave us an overview of the main area of the city. There were several things that we would not have known about had we not done this tour. It was fun and worthwhile.

Hope this helps some.

Princess Di and swdke,

This Copenhagen thread is such a helpful one for everybody! I'm sure for many people, "Swdke" is synonymous with Copenhagen!

Just want to add that I looked at the booklet that came with the Copenhagen cards I have ordered and received, and admission to the Tivoli garden is free with the card...

Donna, is your daughter a teenager too? Great that she can travel with you to many places...I can't wait until mine is in college so that she can more flexibly travel with me outside of summer vacations and X-mas time! We are already discussing about it (DH can only travel once or twice a year, and preferably less than 10 days at a time; he feels better being in town close to our business)...I'm going out of town for conferences the next 10 days and might be silent from the board, unless I will have the compulsion to check!!!

Kim

• 2 weeks later...
Hello All,

Before I read this thread I was thinking of using the "Hop On Hop Off" bus for our day in Copenhagen, but now I'm not sure if the Copenhagen card is a better purchase (maybe combined with the HOHO bus? mostly for the "commentary").

I loved Steve's 3 day itinerary, and am wishing we had more time in Copenhagen (always the case), but for 1 day, what should I be trying to do that isn't covered by the HOHO bus?

I know that this is a personal question and everyone will have different ideas, but all suggestions are welcome!

Thanks.

Elin

We to have only 1 day in Copenhagen so I dont feel the "card" is something we need to purchase. Our plans are to take the 21/2 city tour that includes a boat tour, then take the train to Fredricksburg Castle (40 min ride) and then return and still have time for walking Nyhavn and Stroget or take in another palace. This plan would be continguent upon making that morning tour at 9:30.

• 2 weeks later...

Since we leave June 30th for our cruise, I recently spent time reading my Rick Steves' Scandinavia book and looking at the booklet that came with the Copenhagen Card. According to the booklet, "the Copenhagen Card gives free admission to Tivoli, but not to Tivoli's rides or attractions." The discount for Rosenborg Castle is 38%; for the hop-on/hop-off bus - 15%. As others have mentioned, the advantage of having the Copenhagen Card (or similar cards for Oslo, Stockholm, Helsinki) is that you can briefly visit a number of museums/attractions that sound interesting, but might not be worth the time or money if paying the normal admission price.

Archived