First time to St Thomas,are their private guides to hire for the day

katlife

Be there on a Dec 10 a Monday so not sure how many ships will be there. Haven't had a chance to really research on here as i would have liked. What is a must do...and where do the locals hang out? I am not interested in shopping only to grab a shirt from a local shop. Love to snorkel,love to see the sights.

There are tour operators that offer shopping/beach excursions as well as private guides that are more personal and totally customized to your group. We have a favorite as do others, I would check reviews on tripadvisor for different options to find what works for you. We pay $25pp for a 5 - 6 hr private tour, the tour operators are probably cheaper.

For snorkeling look at Coki (busier) and Sapphire (less crowded), a quick look at the other threads on the first couple of pages will tell you everything you need to know to help you plan your day.

Thank you, the tour you go on can it be just two people? what guide do you use? where do you think is the most scenic beach or area to hang out and have a few drinks. I also would like to a wonderful lunch it can be a hole in the wall if its great.

If you hire a private guide it will be just you, no others. One driver we like is Glen (if I remember his name right). He's affiliated with the Secret Harbor Resort and if you google their e-mail address they will give him your particulars (date, interests) and give you a price.

We love Sapphire Beach for relaxing on the beach, there'sva small hut on the beach (Banana Cabana) serving drinks as well as great mahi sandwiches.

If you wantba busier vibe with more food/drink options Coki Beach is just down the road.

The driver will take you where you want to go, and he can also recommend great vantage points for views and lunch spots (like Paradise Point).

You could ask what's open in Red Hook for lunch, there are a few spots there that are fun but they're more fun in the evening of course. But Red Hook is very close to Sapphire. Just a few miles toward the dock is Iggie's beach bar, neat spot for lunch and great rum punches.

But our favorite lunch spot is Paradise Point because of the view. We have the driver leave us off there and we take the tram back down and it's a short walk to the Havensight dock. If docked at Crown you'd taxi back. PP is our favorite spot to relax before returning to the ship.

But try the SC contact, there are other private drivers you can find as well but we enjoyed Glen. Much more enjoyable than a group tour.

• 4 weeks later...
How much did did it cost? How long was your tour/ride?

There are 2 of us

Hourly Rates (1-4 passengers): Sedan/Mini Van $40; Van/Safari(14 passenger capacity) $55; Safari $80. Rates for additional passengers will be negotiated between the taxi operator and passenger(s).

Archived