Review, Liberty of the Seas, Nov. 24th

LouLou921

We actually had cabin 1400 on this cruise - yes it is very big, yes there is one lounge chair - however, there is a pole right in the middle of the cabin:D

Do you have any pics of the cabin that you can email me? We have this room next year and are really looking forward to it. I have a feeling the kids are going to be climbing that pole! Hey it will keep em busy:) I hope the don't change the rules again and take the loungers out. When a balcony is that big it's silly not to be able to have them.

You touched on a very important point. Thank God Royal does't make you put on the life vest and then stand around in them for a long time or this would probably happen more. The Florida Musters where you are forced to stand out in the heat (not disparaging the process, I know its important) can be tough. We try to balance not keeping others waiting and not being first so you are cramped up again the bulkhead with dozens of bodies between you and any air flow.

Will be sailing on RCCL for the first time in January. After reading this, I am concerned as I have mobility issues due to a stroke and standing outside for a long period of time being cramped up. Are provision made for such passengers? Thanks for any and all comments.

Since 1700 is an aft cabin, how was the motion? Any sea sickness?

I felt the ship moving but I enjoyed it. I didn't have an issue until the last day. We left Cozumel and I really felt the motion. But so did most of our friends. The very last night, we woke up around 4am and there was a lot of vibration, noise, shaking. It was a little unnerving.

I was never ill, but I did eat some ginger candy/ginger chews each day.

We woke up as we were getting into Cozumel. Sat on the balcony and watched other ships come in. Then up to the Windjammer for breakfast with our friends. Had no trouble finding two tables of 4 side by side.

Breakfast was very good. I'd discovered that one of the rolls at breakfast is very similar to a German roll I love, brotchen. I made some open-faced sandwiches with these, butter, blackberry jam, cheese and the deli meat from the buffet.

We all felt the need to carbo-load as we were doing the Cozumel Bar Hop Bus. We got off the ship quickly, got a taxi to take the 7 of us to Starbucks for $15 and met the group. This was a wonderful day. It was cloudy in Cozumel, so I'm glad we did something different. We did a great job pacing ourselves. Beer, margarita, guac, ceviche, giant margarita, coconut shrimp and a fantastic drink they called an iguana.

The bus dropped us off at our port. We thought about doing some shopping, but I found it a little overwhelming. A few friends went to Senor Frogs---this was not my scene at all. So we went back to the ship. We split a bistro burger from room service and napped a little.

Dinner in the MDR--tonight was lobster tail night. I'd had fantastic grilled lobster tail in Belize and decided to skip it tonight. I had the roasted peach soup as a starter and the creamed wild mushrooms from the starter menu as my main. Both were fine. I was very excited about the Grand Marnier Souffle for dessert, but it didn't live up to my expectations. The waiter surprised me by bringing the ivory chocolate mousse as well---I liked this much better.

We had a few tired friends who adjourned to their rooms after dinner, but our group of 4 wanted to hang out some more. We hadn't made it to Vintages yet, so off we went. Loved this place, loved it. Loved the atmosphere, all of the wine at my fingertips. I tried several different reds. And then got a nice big pour of my favorite. We talked and lounged in the comfy seating. Then a quick walk through the cigar room, it wasn't too busy, and down to the Schooner Bar. The guy at the piano this sailing was fantastic and he had quite the crowd of regulars. We chilled here for a while and called it a night.

We were already getting sad that tomorrow was our last day. I was planning on reading and relaxing on our balcony. I brought my kindle but had visited the ship's library a few days before and picked up Tracy Chevalier's "Remarkable Creatures". I'd been wanting to read this book and hadn't even started it.

We both fell asleep on the loungers on the balcony. We almost spent the night out there, but I got chilly.

We all felt the need to carbo-load as we were doing the Cozumel Bar Hop Bus. We got off the ship quickly, got a taxi to take the 7 of us to Starbucks for $15 and met the group. This was a wonderful day. It was cloudy in Cozumel, so I'm glad we did something different. We did a great job pacing ourselves. Beer, margarita, guac, ceviche, giant margarita, coconut shrimp and a fantastic drink they called an iguana.

We are going on Liberty next week (12/13) and are really looking forward to this short break! We did the Cozumel Bar Hop last year and are doing it again this year. Congrats for pacing yourself - it can be tough (especially with the giant margaritas!)

I cannot recall what "time" (EST or CST) the ship used and wondered if you could help. The Bar Hop instructions say to meet at 10:15am and I'm wondering if that's actually 11:15am ship time (hope it is because I'd like to do some shopping prior to the hop) or if the ship did adjust their time to follow Cozumel (CST) time.

Appreciate any help you can provide!

Hi, Mysparky!

The ship was on EST & Cozumel was an hour behind. You are correct in stating that 10:15am meeting time is 11:15am ship time.

I've heard that some ships/captains may change this, so just check your compass.

I preferred the shopping area near Starbuck's and wished I'd built in some shopping time for that area.

I felt the ship moving but I enjoyed it. I didn't have an issue until the last day. We left Cozumel and I really felt the motion. But so did most of our friends. The very last night, we woke up around 4am and there was a lot of vibration, noise, shaking. It was a little unnerving.

I was never ill, but I did eat some ginger candy/ginger chews each day.

Thanks for the heads up on the vibration! I am definetely taking motion sickness stuff with us, since my daughter and I our prone to motion sickness! But, I really, really want to try the aft cabins!

John woke up early this morning to head to the gym for a run. I ordered hot water from room service and made a strong cup of coffee using a Via packet. All set to read on the balcony, when I got a phone call from a friend.

She had a section of chairs together near the pool and was calling everyone to come up and join her. Well, I wanted to read, but didn't want to miss out on anything. :p So I got quickly got ready and dropped my stuff off on a lounger. Then made a quick trip to the gym to tell John where I was. Without really saving any chairs for longer than 20 minutes or so, we were able to have a great spot for our group of 7 to hang. We were in one of the elevated sections by the pool and near the bar. Took turns to grab a quick breakfast from WJ---I had more "brotchen". Then I read and napped all morning. Discovered my new favorite drink, the Coco Loco and had a lot of fun people-watching. Also, made time for another strawberry cone from the Sprinkles station. Loved this stuff! And finished my book!

We checked out the Flowrider and watched some people ride for a few minutes. Then a late lunch in the WJ, more Indian food for me.

The afternoon was spent packing and getting ready for the evening. We had a little get-together in our room before dinner. Room service brought ice and red & white wine glasses.

Before dinner, we checked out the photo gallery again, pretty disappointed. I was ready to purchase some pics.

And our final dinner in the MDR...I started with the pineapple lychee soup and a shrimp cocktail. This soup was my favorite of the week! I had the fish, seafood & chips and did not care for this at all. Just too much fried food, I don't know what I was thinking. I stared longingly at my friend's turkey, when the waiter surprised me with a bowl of the pasta with a chardonnay proscuitto sauce. This was outstanding!

Dessert tonight was also very good, the sugar free key lime slice. And a double espresso for me, I wanted to stay up late.

Schooner Bar for another excellent Long Island Iced Tea and to listen to the very popular Paul at the piano. Then back to the Hoof & Claw. We really felt at home here. Beer and laughter and interacting with the talented Chuck Brown. We shut the place down. Everyone traipsed across the way for some pizza. How could they eat that stuff? Once was enough for me, but judging by the line, others liked it. My friend Evan finished his third slice and said, "You know, this pizza isn't very good". :p

I went to the Cafe and brought back a variety of sandwiches and cookies for us all.

Goodnight to all, we went back to our balcony for one more rest on the loungers.

Morning came too quickly. I mentioned earlier that this last night there was a lot of motion and vibrations. "The sea was angry, my friends!"

We got ready and told Francesa we were headed up to the WJ for a quick bite. She started removing our bedding and getting ready for the new guests.

This was the one and only time we had difficulty finding a place to sit. It took a turn through the place and we ended up at one of the bar-type sections. Just granola & yogurt for me.

Back in the room, we gathered our things and told Francesa goodbye and thank-you. She was really wonderful and so sweet. We got out of her way and hung out in a friend's cabin for a bit before meeting our group in Studio B. I'm ashamed to say this is the first time I saw the skating rink.

Getting off the ship was a breeze. Getting through customs was another thing. I just didn't think 4 people processing us all was enough, but what do I know? 5 of us shared a taxi and made it to the airport an hour and a half before our flight.

There was a lot we didn't do. I don't regret missing any of it. I know I'll cruise again and this trip was about us and spending time with friends.

We didn't see a single show. Not that we don't like shows, we see a lot of local theatre, but it just wasn't something we were interested in this trip.

We didn't use the Flowrider, play mini-golf or basketball or ice skate.

We didn't eat at Johnny Rockets or Portofino's or Chops.

We didn't use the Spa.

I will probably think of more things...

We both came away very happy and very tired from this trip. We absolutely would cruise with Royal Caribbean again.

I want a longer cruise and I would like to try one of their smaller ships.

I did love the layout of this ship and the way traffic flowed. I very rarely felt like I was cruising with 4,000 other people.

This was our first aft room and I'm a big fan. Walking to it was a non-issue. And I loved being on Deck 10.

Our next big vacation will most likely be in Costa Rica. So I probably won't cruise until 2014 or 2015, but I am fairly certain it will be with Royal Caribbean!

We hadn't made it to Vintages yet, so off we went. Loved this place, loved it. Loved the atmosphere, all of the wine at my fingertips. I tried several different reds. And then got a nice big pour of my favorite. We talked and lounged in the comfy seating.

How does Vintages work - do they pour a full glass, or can you choose a half? What is the pricing? Thank you! Going soon on the Liberty and was wondering about this. :)

You can buy glasses at the bar or use your seapass to swipe at the units on the wall, select your wine and the amount. I think it's 1 ounce, 3 or 5. The price for 1 ounce varies, but most seem to be around $3 or $4. It's easy to get carried away!

Archived