Yacht Club Forward Facing Cabins

Fredric22

Has anyone ever stayed in one of these? They look like they are larger than the other standard cabins (a lot longer). I know the balconies are partially enclosed because of their location but are there are any other drawbacks to these cabins? Noise from wind? Extra movement? Thanks!

Hmmmm the fact that no one seems to have stayed in one makes me slightly nervous! Perhaps I should switch to one of the wider, side facing YC cabins everyone has recommended.

Fredric, I have HEARD from others that forward facing cabins that do have balconies usually have more wind noise, and extreme suction when you open the door. I have also heard the balcony doors slams loud! Like I said I have only heard this - never wanted to risk staying in one. But one would think that it could be an amazing view!;)

Fredric, I have HEARD from others that forward facing cabins that do have balconies usually have more wind noise, and extreme suction when you open the door. I have also heard the balcony doors slams loud! Like I said I have only heard this - never wanted to risk staying in one. But one would think that it could be an amazing view!;)

I had a forward facing balcony cabin on a high deck on MSC Lirica whilst sailing in the Caribbean. Never again! The view was spectacular but the balcony was unusable, unless we were docked. The wind was just too much to be comfortable out on it at all when the ship was moving. Can't see the much larger Fantasia class ships being any better.

Thanks for the information. I think the YC balconies may be specially designed to minimize the wind effect, but without any first hand opinions we may have to switch rooms. Luckily our cruise isn't for another year, so hopefully someone who has been in one will come across this post in the next few months.

Thanks for the information. I think the YC balconies may be specially designed to minimize the wind effect, but without any first hand opinions we may have to switch rooms. Luckily our cruise isn't for another year, so hopefully someone who has been in one will come across this post in the next few months.

If you view the 360 virtual tour of the royal suite on the link below you'll get a good idea of how the glass is used as a wind break.

On our cruise on Divina we made friends with people who had a forward facing balcony on deck 16 and they said that staying behind the barrier on the balcony,(clearly visible in the tour) makes the forward view restricted in that you can't see down in front of you because of the metal lower portion of the balcony surround, unless you go over the barrier and start to stoop/ crawl towards the front of the balcony, which I presume is not advised. They made no mention of wind noise or gusts in the cabin so it can't have bothered them. but they were disappointed with the view.

link

When you get to the link:- PRESS "CABINS and SUITES" tab then go to page 2 of the list (bottom right below Aurea Suite floor plan). Look in the Royal suite and use your mouse to zoom around and go into the bedroom and zoom around in there, you'll find the view of the bacony I describe

http://www.msccruises.co.uk/uk_en/Ships/MSC-Divina.aspx

here is a screen dump from the tour to illustrate what i mean

front.jpg

Pete

Thank you for the information! I did notice that when I looked at the virtual tour so I knew the balcony would be somewhat blocked. I am more concerned about any potential noise than I am with the view. Honestly, I am really not the type of person to spend long periods of time on the balcony. Also, the cabin does look larger than the other YC cabins, so I was curious to see if that was in fact true, or if it only appears that way on the deck plans.

Thank you for the information! I did notice that when I looked at the virtual tour so I knew the balcony would be somewhat blocked. I am more concerned about any potential noise than I am with the view. Honestly, I am really not the type of person to spend long periods of time on the balcony. Also, the cabin does look larger than the other YC cabins, so I was curious to see if that was in fact true, or if it only appears that way on the deck plans.

I can confirm that the forward cabins are larger than the other YC1 cabins with the exception of 15028 - 15031 and 16032 - 16035 and the two (16005, 16006) cabins for guests with disabilities. These are the cabins I would choose to have (not the disability cabins though), given the option, as they have larger balconies as well.

Here is a look through the door of 15029; it's significantly wider, about 5 to 6 feet wider and that is reflected in the balcony as well, than my cabin 15013

Cabin 15029

P1030268.jpg

cabin 15013

P1020616-2.jpg

Pete

• 5 weeks later...

I was in cabin 16003 in Feb 2012 on Splendida and it certainly creaked a lot more than when I'd stayed in 10107 previously on Fantasia. I would NOT recommend a forward cabin. Also, we had no view whatsoever from our balcony because the metal wall obstructed it. It was virtually impossible to view the sea at all!!!:mad:

I was in cabin 16003 in Feb 2012 on Splendida and it certainly creaked a lot more than when I'd stayed in 10107 previously on Fantasia. I would NOT recommend a forward cabin. Also, we had no view whatsoever from our balcony because the metal wall obstructed it. It was virtually impossible to view the sea at all!!!:mad:

Oh No! I wish you hadn't said that.....

I am in 16003 in July on the Divina. The thing is I won the cruise in a photo competition and after a bit of chat and some persuasion I managed to get them to give me a forward facing cabin. The ver same one you mention above.

Is it reeeeaaaally that bad?? NO view at all?? I thought I would get the best of both worlds and see front and both sides!?

I really don't want to contact MSC with my tail between my legs and ask for the cabin that they gave me in the first place.......

Give me a real honest opinion. Bare in mind I have only cruised in inside cabins so far, so will I find it unbearable!??

Gossyboy.....

I am in 16003 in July on the Divina. The thing is I won the cruise in a photo competition and after a bit of chat and some persuasion I managed to get them to give me a forward facing cabin. The ver same one you mention above.

Is it reeeeaaaally that bad?? NO view at all?? I thought I would get the best of both worlds and see front and both sides!?

I really don't want to contact MSC with my tail between my legs and ask for the cabin that they gave me in the first place.......

Give me a real honest opinion. Bare in mind I have only cruised in inside cabins so far, so will I find it unbearable!??

Gossyboy.....

I hate to say I told you so , but the recent post backs up what i said in post #6.

However I would expect that you'll not be on your balcony much as the cruises are port intensive so mostly in the daytime the ship willl be in port. And unless it's raining the view from the YC deck area , with it's nice pool and bar/buffet, is great as is the view from the lounge.

The other point being you said you'll be making use of the WHOLE of the ship's facilities with your friends. So I'd stick with your choice, you'll find it a massive improvement over an inside cabin and as you've not had a balcony before you have nothing to compare it to so yoiu won't be too disappointed. The other balconies are mostly minute and I was very disappointed with ours and we hardly went on it.

Have a brilliant cruise and enjoy the yC experience

Pete

Gossyboy.....

This is the minute balcony you would have if you changed to a side facing cabin. It's not much of a balcony!!!

P1020628-1_zpsce4fb204.jpg

P1020627.jpg

Pete

My parents were in a cabin on the side (16009, I think) and their balcony was exactly like that photo - tiny! We had a bigger balcony and same size cabin on Deck 10 on Fantasia. I had greater expectations of the cabin in the Yacht Club and so found it very disappointing at first. However, the L'Olivo dining experience and the Yacht Club lounge more than made up for it.

Incidentally, I travelled in February so use of the balcony wasn't an issue as the weather wasn't warm enough to bother but I see you're sailing in July which may make it a bigger issue for you.

My real, honest opinion, Gossyboy, is, if you can change cabins I'd say do so - especially as you've only been in inside ones before. Even if it means a small balcony, at least you'll have a sea view. I had to stand on tiptoe to see over the ship's metal wall to see anything.

Bytheway, I'm sailing on Splendida again in February but this time it will be on Deck 12 with the premium Allegrissimo package which to my mind is the next best thing to the Yacht Club although I'll miss the wonderful exclusive dining room.

I had greater expectations of the cabin in the Yacht Club and so found it very disappointing at first.

Not being much of a balcony person and the fact that the Royal Suites are always booked before I can get my grubby hands on them I always take one of the 51 sqm YC2 cabins on deck 12 looking forward and these, together with the Royal Suites define what a suite is.

YC1 cabins on the other hand are average cabins with pretty ribbons.

Thanks for all the input.

I don't think it would be right to ask to change again. I would feel like i'm taking the mickey a bit :)

I think you are right Pete, I haven't chose the cabin for the balcony really. I don't think I will spend much time on there to be honest.

There is plenty to do and i'm not really the "sit and watch the world go by" kind of person. Also we prefer to be around others than sit on our own.

I'm happy to go with 16003 and can't wait to get on there :)

Archived