Is NCL any good??

Tinman37

For what it is worth, being in a suite doesn't guarantee a smooth edge.

On our last NCL trip, DDP and I were given VIP benefits which granted us all the benefits of being in a suite, except for the actual suite:mad:. We really enjoyed the breakfast and lunch benefit in Cagneys and going to the Haven cocktail party was interesting. At that affair, the lady (and I use the term loosely) occupying the Garden Villa was pretty loud and obnoxious and at one point, Mike nudged me, cut his eyes her way so I would take a gander at where she was sitting/sprawling on one of the chaises, and said under his breath, "I wish she would put her legs together, I can see Christmas!":D The last morning aboard at breakfast, she appeared in Cagneys in her NCL robe and slippers for breakfast...talk about rough, with her it was more than just the edges!:eek:

Each cruise line has its' idiosyncrasies. Reputation certainly counts for a lot but whether that's actually true depends on the clientele. In reality, one never really knows what to expect since the ship's passengers change on a constant (weekly) basis.

Saying people were rude while you were cruising is like saying people were rude while you were walking into Target or the office building where your doctor works. Surprise!

Do some people think they can treat the 'help' in a certain (negative) way? Sure! They feel they've paid their money and can act how they want. Simply stated, they're just morons. What can any of us do about it but shake our heads.

That being said, if you're doing a 3/4 day cruise on most any line, you can pretty well expect it to be a party cruise. A seven/+ day cruise (we're doing an 11-day cruise on the NCL Sun Feb. 27/13 is more likely to have people who enjoy the 'art' of cruising.

I myself hope that since I'm doing an 11-day cruise (I've only done 5 and seven-day cruises), I won't be stuck with a bunch of idiots. But with 1,500 or whatever the number ends up being, I'm sure there'll be a few just to keep the rest of us 'entertained'.

I've been on the NCL Jewel, Pearl and Sun and will be on the Sun again. I've also been on two Carnival ships back in the early 90s and I've been on the RCL Allure of the Seas in November 2011 and RCL Freedom of the Seas in December 2012. Again, while the ships are nice, the 'vibe' pretty well depends on the people on the actual ship during the actual week you cruise.

So did I answer your question? In a way, not really, other than to say, go with the flow. I believe NCL is in the middle of the ships. Certainly not the worst but not the best either. If you want the 'best', I guess you can pay for a smaller yacht cruise - and pay you will! Otherwise, enjoy the cruise for what it is. Keep your head down and don't overdo the buffet! :)

As for being gay, my partner and I have never had ANY issues on ANY ship.

We aren't huge fans of PDA (public displays of affection) but being in our 40s/50s (young 40s/50s I might add!), we probably don't give off the vibe of being gay (whatever that entails...). At the same time, we don't pretend to be single men on the prowl either.

And now that we have kids, we do get crew who ask where the moms are. But that's based on culture and background and not necessarily because they're 'ignorant'. Other passengers have never said anything openly to us, so whatever people think, they haven't bothered sharing their opinions with us.

Can't wait until February 27th! :cool:

Each cruise line has its' idiosyncrasies. Reputation certainly counts for a lot but whether that's actually true depends on the clientele. In reality, one never really knows what to expect since the ship's passengers change on a constant (weekly) basis.

Saying people were rude while you were cruising is like saying people were rude while you were walking into Target or the office building where your doctor works. Surprise!

Do some people think they can treat the 'help' in a certain (negative) way? Sure! They feel they've paid their money and can act how they want. Simply stated, they're just morons. What can any of us do about it but shake our heads.

That being said, if you're doing a 3/4 day cruise on most any line, you can pretty well expect it to be a party cruise. A seven/+ day cruise (we're doing an 11-day cruise on the NCL Sun Feb. 27/13 is more likely to have people who enjoy the 'art' of cruising.

I myself hope that since I'm doing an 11-day cruise (I've only done 5 and seven-day cruises), I won't be stuck with a bunch of idiots. But with 1,500 or whatever the number ends up being, I'm sure there'll be a few just to keep the rest of us 'entertained'.

I've been on the NCL Jewel, Pearl and Sun and will be on the Sun again. I've also been on two Carnival ships back in the early 90s and I've been on the RCL Allure of the Seas in November 2011 and RCL Freedom of the Seas in December 2012. Again, while the ships are nice, the 'vibe' pretty well depends on the people on the actual ship during the actual week you cruise.

So did I answer your question? In a way, not really, other than to say, go with the flow. I believe NCL is in the middle of the ships. Certainly not the worst but not the best either. If you want the 'best', I guess you can pay for a smaller yacht cruise - and pay you will! Otherwise, enjoy the cruise for what it is. Keep your head down and don't overdo the buffet! :)

As for being gay, my partner and I have never had ANY issues on ANY ship.

We aren't huge fans of PDA (public displays of affection) but being in our 40s/50s (young 40s/50s I might add!), we probably don't give off the vibe of being gay (whatever that entails...). At the same time, we don't pretend to be single men on the prowl either.

And now that we have kids, we do get crew who ask where the moms are. But that's based on culture and background and not necessarily because they're 'ignorant'. Other passengers have never said anything openly to us, so whatever people think, they haven't bothered sharing their opinions with us.

Can't wait until February 27th! :cool:

Nicely stated!

I concur! :) I'm sure you will have a great time no matter what you decide. My partner and I have also not had any problems on any ship. On occasion the bed setup isn't correct but after a quick conversation with the steward you leave your room and come back and it's fixed - no problem. What ever you decide you will have a great time - especially if you like to cruise!

Hans

Archived