How do you do beach type excursions

Izzybeff

when you cruise solo?

I'm planning for an upcoming cruise, my first solo and I was looking at a few beachy type excursions. I haven't booked anything yet because 1. I'm afraid it will be lonely sitting on the beach for a few hours, 2. What do I do with my stuff while i'm in the water?

You may meet up with some folks doing the same thing. I have done this and had a great time. I also have gone alone and enjoyed myself as well...I enjoy just setting back and people watching....its kinda like my "chill" time. I keep my cash and CC in velcro pocket in swim trunks.

I have done 5 solo cruises and will usually meet people to share beach excursions with. The best place to meet people is by joining your roll call and signing up for any Meet and Greets.

If you don't meet anyone then try to find a locker that you can rent. For my room key, credit card and cash, I will put them in a waterproof container that fits in my swim short pocket. You can buy these small containers at any local scuba dive shop and cost about $7.

On occasions, I have sat alone on the beach but have asked people around me to watch my bag. The best idea is not to have your camera out in plain view as it may get stolen.

when you cruise solo?

I'm planning for an upcoming cruise, my first solo and I was looking at a few beachy type excursions. I haven't booked anything yet because 1. I'm afraid it will be lonely sitting on the beach for a few hours, 2. What do I do with my stuff while i'm in the water?

I just got back from a solo cruise and did 2 beach days. In St. Thomas I took a shuttle/cab to Sapphire beach and the nice people I rode with invited me to sit with them on the beach. We had a nice time visiting, they left before lunch time and I stayed for lunch on the beach, snorkeling and a few beers. In Aruba I took the public bus to the beach and spent the day alone on a beach full of people. ;) I can easily entertain myself with people watching, or a book, which is basically what everyone else is also doing even if they are with others. If you need actual entertainment to keep from feeling bored just make sure you hit a beach that has a lively atmosphere, maybe live music.

As far as what to do with your stuff....I keep my cash, ID, and ship card (or room key if your not cruising) in a Witz dry case either around my neck or clipped to my swimsuit bottoms. My camera is waterproof so it comes with me. Everything else I leave on my blanket. Granted there is nothing of value, just flip flops, sunscreen, water bottle, etc. I travel alone to Central America a few times a year to snorkel and this is what I always do. So far I've never had my towel or flip flops stolen :D

Unless you are actually asking friends I think it's rude to ask others to watch your things. I wouldn't want to get stuck watching someone elses belongings.

• 4 weeks later...

I generally only bring a small amount of cash if I am doing a beach excursion alone..I will either bury it in the bottom of my bag or put it & my seapass card in a plastic water wallet that hangs around my neck...If I go in the water it is only for a short time & my items are never out of my site so I don't worry much about them.. I also only bring my disposable water proof camera with me...

Archived