IAH to Houston to Port

SunSeekerEBS

Hi. We are flying into IAH in March for a cruise and don't know where to stay that night before the cruise. We aren't getting into Houston until 6:30 with two kids and will need to eat dinner so I figured maybe going halfway and finding a hotel might be the best idea. I have no idea about Houston though. Should we stay downtown or is a suburb better? Anyone that knows Houston please chime in. Thanks!!

Hi. We are flying into IAH in March for a cruise and don't know where to stay that night before the cruise. We aren't getting into Houston until 6:30 with two kids and will need to eat dinner so I figured maybe going halfway and finding a hotel might be the best idea. I have no idea about Houston though. Should we stay downtown or is a suburb better? Anyone that knows Houston please chime in. Thanks!!

You'll be better served to stay at a hotel at or near the airport. There are several near by, and there's a hotel within the IAH complex. Most offer airport shuttle service.

The airport Marriott:

http://www.hotelsavings.com/booking/1061556

I recommend the Sheraton Hotel. It's a short distance from the airport and has a reliable shuttle service:

http://www.hotelsavings.com/booking/1071682

Or, your might prefer the Holiday Inn:

http://www.holidayinn.com/hotels/us/en/houston/houap/hoteldetail

Another thought: stop for fast food somewhere near IAH, which would let the final Houston rush hour traffic die down (though you'll be going in-bound, which is somewhat less traffic). Then go ahead and drive toward Galveston to stay in a hotel somewhere between Hobby airport and the island. You will find lots of choices in various price ranges (we are staying at the Hampton in Texas City the night before a January cruise; DH is a native Houstonian and I lived there for 25 years so we do know the area a bit ;) ).

If you are closer to the island, then you can sleep in a bit the day of the cruise and not have to drive so far; can get to the island earlier if you wish--but do allow enough time for the previous cruise's passengers to get away.

You didn't say if you were taking the ship's transportation from IAH. If so, then staying nearby where there is a free airport shuttle would be a great idea. You could then go back to the airport the next morning for your shuttle. I imagine the hotel van would drop you at baggage claim but even if they didn't, it's not difficult to get there from the ticketing areas.

BTW: downtown hotels are pricier than those almost anywhere else; Galleria also pricey but that's out of your way; those on the island run the gamut in pricing and quality so shop around a bit.

Another thought: stop for fast food somewhere near IAH, which would let the final Houston rush hour traffic die down (though you'll be going in-bound, which is somewhat less traffic). Then go ahead and drive toward Galveston to stay in a hotel somewhere between Hobby airport and the island.

I agree with that. Eat up by IAH, then drive and stay at least south of NASA Rd.1. I would go on further and get a hotel on the Galveston seawall. Pick a high floor. The kids would love waking up the next morning overlooking the Gulf of Mexico. That would surely set the mood for a cruise!

Archived