Just off Regal Alaska 5/18 Sailing Part 3

Ethel5

After a sea day, we had our final dinner in the dining room. We left auto tipping in place and were very happy to give extra to the waiter, asst. waiter and head waiter for the excellent service we received. (see I'm not a cheapo after all).

We sailed into SFO and took more pictures of the Bridge this time in sunny weather but still colder than Alaska! We were supposed to go back to Pier 35 but they changed it to Pier 2 which is much further away. We did the usual disembarcation thing-hurry up and wait, but we were off the ship by 10:30. We did the tearful goodbyes to DD and her family. Evidently there was a baseball game going on, plus the holiday w/e which made the entire Wharf area very busy! Wall to wall people. We took a taxi back to the same hotel and faced the same stuff with the tipping. Our room wasn't ready and we didn't expect it to be. But we were informed that we were being upgraded to a king room with a sofa bed instead of the 2 double beds. We did more of the touristy things and got to ride cable cars which was a blast! The next day we rented those funny little electric cars with GPS system that tells you when to turn etc. That was another fun thing to do. Got to see a lot of stuff in one day and our flight didn't leave until 11PM. This time instead of getting a taxi, the bell person set us up with a town car and driver for the same amount of money. Now he got an EXTRA tip!!! It don't take much.

All of our USAIR flights coming and going with connections in Charlotte went on time and without a snag. Luggage arrived in the same place at the same time we did. Can't ask for better than that.

Ramdom Thoughts.........

Regal Princess is a classy Lady. She doesn't have the glitz and glamour of the newer ships but she has understated elegance. Her rooms are larger and the showers big by cruise ship standards. She is easy to navigate and her public rooms remind me of the days of the great cruise ships. I'm not that old, but I've seen pictures!

Traveling with a 2.95 year old (her birthday is 6/8) is not that hard. She was not allowed in the kids area unless she was with an adult. We kept her busy enough that she only went there once. The crew bends over backwards with kids. Both the little one and the 10 yr old had a great time and didn't bother anyone else on board. We were told many times what a great kid the little one was. The grandson wore a tux on formal nights and got some compliments too. A funny thing did happen-we were in Skagway and found a children's playground so we let her blow off steam by riding the swings etc. When it came time to leave, she didn't want to go (typical) and put up a protest not very loud or long. Well one of the wags from the ship said to my DD "I suppose you have to eat in the buffet every night" to which DD replied "Of course not-we eat in the dining room."

Things that are missing from past cruises......

A lot of little things but not enought to ruin anyone's trip. My DD and her DH already booked their next cruise and this was their first time! Stupid things like fish knives, the waiter offering grated cheese for pasta dishes, the freshly ground pepper on your salad, the waiter putting the napkin in your lap for you.....ah the grand days for cruisers!!! The pasta course. The free specialty coffes after dinner. Just little things that are missing.

Please read Princess Praise for details on what happens when you miss the ship!!!

Things that are missing from past cruises......

A lot of little things but not enought to ruin anyone's trip. My DD and her DH already booked their next cruise and this was their first time! Stupid things like fish knives, Wife had fish knife with her fish dishes. the waiter offering grated cheese for pasta dishes, He did for us. the freshly ground pepper on your salad, Waiter knew that I like pepper and my wife did not so with each of my salads pepper was offered. the waiter putting the napkin in your lap for you. Waiter twice, most times it was by the Head Waiter or Maitre D' ah the grand days for cruisers!!! The pasta course. Head Waiter made us 3 special Pastas that were not on the menu. The menu had at least 2 pastas not including the Alfredo each night. The free specialty coffes after dinner. I agree. What is so hard about giving us a free expresso after dinner.. Just little things that are missing.

The Regal is our second most favorite ship.. About the things missing in the past. We just returned from a week in Alaska on the Coral. See my comments above in red.. We had Personal Choice and had a reserved table for two for the entire cruise with the same wait staff. We usually at dinner between 8-830.

Our waiter was wonderful in every other aspect. He catered to the kids and had a great personality BUT he also had 18 people to take care of. I chalked it up to being rushed that the "little" things were missing. Not too long ago the waiters had only 12-14 to care for. I did eat a pasta course each night but we had to make up our own instead of it being part of the dining experience. As I said - it didn't ruin my vacation one bit-just some noticable changes over the last few cruises.

Great reviews Ethel :)

What time did you get to the port in SF and how long did you have to wait to checking?

I'm going on the 7th June.

btw, I had to laugh at your comment about tipping. The tipping part in SF is worrying me a bit - I'm not use to it but I did get a chart from the internet on how much you should tip and to who. At least if I think it is excessive I won't be the only one ;)

We got to the port about 11:15 under moderate rainy cold weather. There was a line outside but they opened the doors early to get people out of the rain. Normal check in isn't until noon but they started early due to the weather. We were all checked in in about 15 minutes. Princess really does a great job of embarcation. The SFO terminal is a lot smaller than the one in FLL but we had no problems. Just remember to tip the porter or the luggage will end up in Rhode Island!!! :-).

Thanks Ethal, I was expecting a lot longer :) , we were planning to get there before 12nn.

My DH has just put me in charge of tipping :( . He and I are both afraid he will grossly overtip. Mind you I will most likely undertip but the chart should help.

Archived