Bernard's Tour St Maarten

johnsak123

I'm a first time cruiser and I keep seeing everyone talk about how many ships are in port on the day they are there. Where do you find this information?

Now that I think about it...I'll be there 11/20/13 as well. I'm seriously considering booking a tour with Benards after reading this thread.

http://201.220.14.27/sxmonline/VesselScheduleCruise.aspx

This is a link to the cruise ship schedule for St. Maarten

We just got back from Freedom of the Sea cruise - we took Bernard's tours and I cannot say enough good things about this tour. We had 'mailman' as our guide and he we amazing. He has been on the island his entire life. We had two kids (4 and 7) and he was great with them - by the 2nd stop, they were sitting up in the front of the bus with him.

We did the tour 2. First stop, Iguana farm - kids loved this. Then we stopped at the side of the ocean where Calvin showed us animals from the sea. Mailman stopped at 'picture opportunity' places along the way and I got some great shots. Next, we went to Orient Beach where we rented jet skis - this beach was breathtaking. There were naked people and we also drove through a private resort where there were a lot of naked people (this didn't bother us). Then we went to Margot for shopping and a French bakery (the pastries were amazing). Then we went to Maho beach and got to see the big Air France plane come in. Again, this beach and the view was stunning (bring cash - the bar at Maho only takes cash unless you are spending $50). Last stop was shopping for those that wanted to go, and for those of us that were beat, back to the ship. We left at 9 and didn't get back until about 3:15.

Unlimited beer, rum punch, soda and water plus Mailman's commentary as we drove - he had a lot of great facts and history about each stop. This was one of the best tours we have taken - a GREAT value for what they charge.

• 3 weeks later...

I have to backtrack thru this thread to find the info for this tour but it sounds like something we would enjoy! Thank you posting, I have two boys (7&11) and it is nice to know this might be up their alley!

Was the jet ski rental part of this tour or something you did in addition to?

We are on Freedom of the Seas in Nov, our first cruise- I can hardly believe how quick it is coming!

We just got back from Freedom of the Sea cruise - we took Bernard's tours and I cannot say enough good things about this tour. We had 'mailman' as our guide and he we amazing. He has been on the island his entire life. We had two kids (4 and 7) and he was great with them - by the 2nd stop, they were sitting up in the front of the bus with him.

We did the tour 2. First stop, Iguana farm - kids loved this. Then we stopped at the side of the ocean where Calvin showed us animals from the sea. Mailman stopped at 'picture opportunity' places along the way and I got some great shots. Next, we went to Orient Beach where we rented jet skis - this beach was breathtaking. There were naked people and we also drove through a private resort where there were a lot of naked people (this didn't bother us). Then we went to Margot for shopping and a French bakery (the pastries were amazing). Then we went to Maho beach and got to see the big Air France plane come in. Again, this beach and the view was stunning (bring cash - the bar at Maho only takes cash unless you are spending $50). Last stop was shopping for those that wanted to go, and for those of us that were beat, back to the ship. We left at 9 and didn't get back until about 3:15.

Unlimited beer, rum punch, soda and water plus Mailman's commentary as we drove - he had a lot of great facts and history about each stop. This was one of the best tours we have taken - a GREAT value for what they charge.

Could you tell me how much (ish) it cost you to rent the jet ski's? We're doing this same tour were wondering how we could fit this in afterwards, but if we can do it during the tour this would be ideal for us (unless it's really expensive!)

Thanks

Could you tell me how much (ish) it cost you to rent the jet ski's? We're doing this same tour were wondering how we could fit this in afterwards, but if we can do it during the tour this would be ideal for us (unless it's really expensive!)

Thanks

The posted amount was $60 for 30 minutes but I ended up using the debit card so it was more based on the conversion rate and fees (I think it was almost $80) but it was worth it. It was very rushed as we only spent about 50 minutes at the beach (wouldn't have been a big deal without kids but the kids were hungry and we hardly had time to order them food and ram it down their throats. I assume time spent each place varies but the tour guide wanted to get us to Maho in time to see the Air France plane come in. The water and sights were just amazing.

The posted amount was $60 for 30 minutes but I ended up using the debit card so it was more based on the conversion rate and fees (I think it was almost $80) but it was worth it. It was very rushed as we only spent about 50 minutes at the beach (wouldn't have been a big deal without kids but the kids were hungry and we hardly had time to order them food and ram it down their throats. I assume time spent each place varies but the tour guide wanted to get us to Maho in time to see the Air France plane come in. The water and sights were just amazing.

Thanks so much for this info, this is fantastic news! I'm so glad you posted this, it will be a treat we will definitely take advantage of! So handy hint... take cash :)

I am assuming the answer to my question depends on the time of year that you go but I will throw it out there anyways....we are going on a cruise Dec 7-14, 2013....how soon in advance do we need to book a tour with Bernard's? Do they fill up really fast? Thanks!

i'm cruising 12/14 but booked it today since its just $10 deposit for two on tour II. but i have a question now, no where in the FAQ's or tour info does it say how you pay the remaining cost.... if you pay with cash, is it US balance of $80 or does he convert to euro's making it higher? or does he take a credit card? i rarely carry a card with me on cruises.

i'm cruising 12/14 but booked it today since its just $10 deposit for two on tour II. but i have a question now, no where in the FAQ's or tour info does it say how you pay the remaining cost.... if you pay with cash, is it US balance of $80 or does he convert to euro's making it higher? or does he take a credit card? i rarely carry a card with me on cruises.

i think that when we booked ours I remember seeing that we could pay the balance in cash or by credit card. I can't really remember now, but I know that we're OK to pay in US dollars and that's what we're going to do.

Last Nov we paid cash, it is the bank or clearing house that will do the going exchange rate if you use a credit card. Never use a debit in another country tho.

We did a private tour with Bernard's group last week in SXM. There were eight of us, six adults and two kids. Driver was "DJ Dave," he was very knowledgeable about the island, very friendly with the kids, and we had a great time.

BUT….

I'm going to be one of the few people with a minor complaint regarding Bernard's Tours. Every review I've ever read on here said the drivers made sure to get you to Maho Beach in time to see at least one plane landing, if that's something you want to see. Because of that, I didn't research ahead of time and pull up an arrivals schedule for SXM. That part is my fault.

I told Dave early in the tour that we wanted to see a plane land at Maho. He didn't know the schedules, but said he could check in with one of the other Bernard's drivers, either via cell phone or in person when our paths crossed, and they'd let him know.

He never did. That part is his fault. By the time we got to Maho, we'd just missed a 3:05 JetBlue landing. The next plane wasn't due until 4PM, and none of us were comfortable waiting that long.

I was quite cranky about it for a couple of minutes. It was the one thing I really, really wanted to see in person on SXM. And if we'd known we had to get there well in advance of 3:05, we could have. We chose to spend an extra 30 minutes on Orient Beach so two in our party could go parasailing. But if they'd known that those 30 minutes would make us miss the plane landing, they would have skipped it.

Same thing in Marigot. We had a fairly leisurely lunch (at Rosemary's, fantastic!) and then did a little browsing/shopping. But if we'd known we had a schedule to keep, we would have moved quicker.

So I place the blame 50/50 on myself and DJ Dave. I should have followed up with him, since seeing at least one plane land was really important to me. But I also think Dave should have checked on the schedules, like he said he would -- and, as nearly every review on here mentions, the drivers normally make every effort to get you to Maho to see a plane land.

Anyway, I would certainly use Bernard's Tours again. But I would also print out the airplane arrival schedule for SXM, and make sure I got there on time! Or, next time I go to SXM, I may just plant myself at the Sunset Bar all day. :D

We did a private tour with Bernard's group last week in SXM. There were eight of us, six adults and two kids. Driver was "DJ Dave," he was very knowledgeable about the island, very friendly with the kids, and we had a great time.

BUT….

I'm going to be one of the few people with a minor complaint regarding Bernard's Tours. Every review I've ever read on here said the drivers made sure to get you to Maho Beach in time to see at least one plane landing, if that's something you want to see. Because of that, I didn't research ahead of time and pull up an arrivals schedule for SXM. That part is my fault.

I told Dave early in the tour that we wanted to see a plane land at Maho. He didn't know the schedules, but said he could check in with one of the other Bernard's drivers, either via cell phone or in person when our paths crossed, and they'd let him know.

He never did. That part is his fault. By the time we got to Maho, we'd just missed a 3:05 JetBlue landing. The next plane wasn't due until 4PM, and none of us were comfortable waiting that long.

I was quite cranky about it for a couple of minutes. It was the one thing I really, really wanted to see in person on SXM. And if we'd known we had to get there well in advance of 3:05, we could have. We chose to spend an extra 30 minutes on Orient Beach so two in our party could go parasailing. But if they'd known that those 30 minutes would make us miss the plane landing, they would have skipped it.

Same thing in Marigot. We had a fairly leisurely lunch (at Rosemary's, fantastic!) and then did a little browsing/shopping. But if we'd known we had a schedule to keep, we would have moved quicker.

So I place the blame 50/50 on myself and DJ Dave. I should have followed up with him, since seeing at least one plane land was really important to me. But I also think Dave should have checked on the schedules, like he said he would -- and, as nearly every review on here mentions, the drivers normally make every effort to get you to Maho to see a plane land.

Anyway, I would certainly use Bernard's Tours again. But I would also print out the airplane arrival schedule for SXM, and make sure I got there on time! Or, next time I go to SXM, I may just plant myself at the Sunset Bar all day. :D

Thanks for your honest comments. Question: During the day and after your initial inquiry, did you ask Dave if he had checked on the schedule with the other drivers?

Thanks for your honest comments. Question: During the day and after your initial inquiry, did you ask Dave if he had checked on the schedule with the other drivers?

I didn't, and I blame myself, as well as the several Carib beers I drank throughout the day. :D

(Dave told us we had a mission -- to empty the cooler by the end of the tour. My brother and I took that mission seriously.)

I didn't, and I blame myself, as well as the several Carib beers I drank throughout the day. :D

(Dave told us we had a mission -- to empty the cooler by the end of the tour. My brother and I took that mission seriously.)

Ha! It still sounds like you had a great time! Thanks for sharing your experience!

Ha! It still sounds like you had a great time! Thanks for sharing your experience!

We definitely did, and that's why I hesitated to even post anything negative. I wouldn't want Bernard's to lose business, and as I said -- we'd use them again.

In the end, I decided to post it because I feel that most people here on CC are like me -- information junkies. We want all the information possible about a cabin, a ship, a cruise line, a port, an island, a tour company. That way, we can make the best decisions possible when spending our hard-earned dollars on vacation.

So I figured that maybe this tiny bit of warning/advice re. Bernard's might help someone in the same situation. Bring the arrival schedule for SXM with you -- that way you don't have to rely on the driver to do it!!!

Oh -- and regarding the payment question from upthread, you can pay via cash or credit card when you check in. They take Visa, MC, Discover, and Amex -- though when I presented my Amex, the clerk asked if I had another method of payment. I didn't. I know merchants pay a higher surcharge with Amex, but it also offers me, the traveling customer, more protection when I use it. So I use my Amex almost exclusively when traveling, unless that isn't possible.

We definitely did, and that's why I hesitated to even post anything negative. I wouldn't want Bernard's to lose business, and as I said -- we'd use them again.

In the end, I decided to post it because I feel that most people here on CC are like me -- information junkies. We want all the information possible about a cabin, a ship, a cruise line, a port, an island, a tour company. That way, we can make the best decisions possible when spending our hard-earned dollars on vacation.

So I figured that maybe this tiny bit of warning/advice re. Bernard's might help someone in the same situation. Bring the arrival schedule for SXM with you -- that way you don't have to rely on the driver to do it!!!

Oh -- and regarding the payment question from upthread, you can pay via cash or credit card when you check in. They take Visa, MC, Discover, and Amex -- though when I presented my Amex, the clerk asked if I had another method of payment. I didn't. I know merchants pay a higher surcharge with Amex, but it also offers me, the traveling customer, more protection when I use it. So I use my Amex almost exclusively when traveling, unless that isn't possible.

I soooooooooooo appreciate that. I will be printing the schedules for landings and take offs at Maho. My son has been asking to see these planes for over a year and he'd be so sad if he knew he had just missed it.

We were with Bernard this past week as well. It must have been a different day, we saw the Jet Blue 3:05 plane, but it came in about 10 minutes early, which they say is somewhat normal. On the schedule that day there were a couple of smaller planes around 11:30, and a couple between 1:15 and 1:40. DJ Dave had mentioned it was there slow season. So if you want to see the planes, I would suggest getting there early for a specific landing.

I agree, the rest of the tour was great. Rosemary's was outstanding.

I know there has been a short answer but I'm looking for times. We are in port 8-5 and are the only ship in port. We currently have Tour #2 booked but I'm afraid there may not be enough time for any shopping afterwards. I don't want to stop at Rima's but would rather have an hour or two on Front and Back Streets. Want to stop at the Guavaberry Emporium, maybe Banane Vanille and maybe a little jewelry shopping for my 25th anniversary:D. Would I be better off switching to Tour #1?

FYI - There are only 4 in our group so I didn't book a private tour. Orient Beach sounds good but we have the private island stop and are gonna be at Coki Beach for several hours the day before. Suggestions or comments?

Thanks!

Cathy

Edited by Shedraggon