Canadian Rockies Cruise Tour

marcruiser

We are looking for any information, tips, comments about the Canadian Rockies Cruise Tour offered by Princess prior to the Northbound cruise from Vancouver. Suggestions about appropriate dress, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

In mid July 2003 my wife and I did a 5 night Princess Canadian Rockies Tour ahead of a 7 night Alaska cruise on Star Princess out of Seattle. We flew into Calgary and had one night each in Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper, Sun Peaks and Vancouver. We just took the basic tour which as we only booked 6 weeks before the trip only cost us a bargain $299 each on top of our cruise. There is a more expensive version which stays at famous hotels in Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper, etc but I believe the tour is otherwise the same. There were about 25 of us on a 50 seater coach so it was very comfortable. About 8 were joining another Princess ship in Vancouver and the rest of us were joining Star Princess in Seattle. We had a super guide and coach driver. It was the first coach tour my wife and I have ever taken so we were a bit apprehensive but we enjoyed it tremendously and the information and sights that the guide was able to point out far exceeded anything we could have learned from a guide book if we had done a self-drive tour. The hotels were superb. In fact in Vancouver we stayed at the Westin right by the marina which to book it privately would have cost then $265 Canadian per night! The tour price also included (which we didn't know when we booked) a group tour photo taken at Lake Louise, lunch at the famous Chateau Lake Louise, a trip on the Athabasca Glacier (well worth doing), a BBQ at Sun Peaks and entrance to the Minter Gardens near Vancouver. Even if we had paid the full price of $499 we would have considered the tour excellent value. The scenery through the rockies, especially the Icvefields Parkway, in Mid July was outstanding, in fact Alaska by comparison was a bit of a let down though we really enjoyed Alaska. The Rockies still had snow on the peaks whereas by then Alaska was snow-less. As the naturalist on the Star Princess told us those snowy Alaska pictures in the brochures are taken in May before everything apart from the Glaciers melts. So we would thoroughly recommend the tour and would have no hesitation booking another Princess tour.

We did the Canadian Rockies tour with Princess prior to our Alaskan cruise in 2003. It was wonderful. The tour guide,Jody, met us in Calgary at the hotel, put us all at ease and did all the logistics for the trip. We were in awe at the sights we saw. She assigned our dinners so that we met all those in our group. The week was casual and we loved that. The hotel at Banff and Lake Louise will alway be remembered as super hotels. The ride on the Rocky Mountaineer was a trip of a lifetime. My husband spent a few hours at the back of the car taking picture after picture. I would recommend this trip to everyone. You will enjoy it.

Susan :)

Archived