Is the balcony worth the extra $$?

sierraN

I really agree with MJC on this one...to me it depends on where your cruise is going. I've been in insides, outsides, and balconies on various cruises, and it seems to me that no matter what category you choose, the room is generally going to be nice and comfortable - it's whether the scenery and atmosphere outside are worth the extra money. For cruises in the Mediterranean, Alaska, South Pacific and the like - I'd certainly prefer a balcony to soak it all in and enjoy the views as they pass by in my own private slice of cruising heaven. But in the Caribbean, assuming one is on a major cruiseline, more often than not you're going to spend the majority of your days parked at the dock right up next to another large ship - and everyone on that ship is going to have the opportunity to look right at you for as long as you're docked there. Not exactly the luxurious escape I'm hoping for when I pay for a balcony.

That's my opinion anyway. It's completely a personal thing and everyone wants - and gets - something different in their own cruise experience.

We have only had balcony cabins. It is wonderful to be able to just walk over and go outside anytime you want - it will provide privacy for you to enjoy the outdoors without being with 2-3,000 other people doing same- sometimes you will want a piece of solitude for yourself and/or yourself and SO. When our kids cruised with us, we brought breakfast back to room for them and they ate out there also- Some like to be out and about on ship unless sleeping/getting ready to go - we like mini breaks from the days/nights activities and spend that on balcony- great place for coffee, before dinner drink, and late night nitecap- can't say enough about them!

good luck- hope you have a great cruise!

• 4 weeks later...

I posted this in another thread, so please excuse the double post.

We have never cruised before ... and are currently planning ours.

We definately want to have a balcony.

Can anyone tell me if the balconies are private? I mean, when you're in your cabin can you walk around in whatever (or nekkid) or will other people or your neighbors be able to see you?

Just curious. :o

HUGz! Jules

Most are private until you realize plexiglass acts as a mirror from certain angles in certain light.

Also, in port, they are see through. They may look dark from your angle, but from the ground, all can be seen.:eek:

It depends on whether money is an object or not. You have 2 kids, you will be at the pool most of the day. We never spent much time in our cabin and decided we would use the money on other things instead of a balcony.

Archived