One awesome tip when cruising with kids?

B_Mc

Friends of mine are taking their kids on a cruise for the first time. One friend has cruised once before, one is a new cruiser.

I started imparting some tips but feel like I was overwhelming them a bit with my enthusiasm about their trips!

They were both aware of swim diaper policies, but hadn't heard about bringing along a blow up pool. I also mentioned scented bags for diapers in the cabin.

What would be the one best tip you'd share with a family setting out on their first trip?

Whatever the child's age - set expectations accordingly. Our DD is 8 and very active. She enjoys "fancy" dinner, but could not sit for 1 1/2 - 2 hours. We always order her food immediately - she eats while we enjoy our first few courses. Then - daddy whisks her off to kids club and we enjoy a great dinner while she has fun with her new friends. This works great for us. You can try the handheld games and crayons at dinner - but they could be having so much more fun in kids club.

Friends of mine are taking their kids on a cruise for the first time. One friend has cruised once before, one is a new cruiser.

I started imparting some tips but feel like I was overwhelming them a bit with my enthusiasm about their trips!

They were both aware of swim diaper policies, but hadn't heard about bringing along a blow up pool. I also mentioned scented bags for diapers in the cabin.

What would be the one best tip you'd share with a family setting out on their first trip?

I am guessing the kids are too young for my tip since you are talking about diapers. but in case they are a bit older or someone else reads this, buy them a camera of thier own. I say this on here a lot, but kids love to take photos and love to show people 'thier' photos that they took. You can get cheap digital cameras for kids, and it creates very special memories!!

I agree that planning is the key. Know your kids, stay within their limits and respect their need for rest. Heck, my 7.5 yo will likely take an afternoon snooze at least once on our next trip...we leave tomorrow morning ;)

We started travelling when DS2 was 4 months old. Ask if you need help, and don't be shy about being explicit with your requests. Staff are amazing and can really make the trip more enjoyable once they know what you need.

Be flexible!

know your kids, don't push them, remember nap times and bedtimes. Remember to FEED them on port days (yeah...ok, so we lost track of time...and dd didn't say anything!) Make sure they have water as well.

Plan downtime. It's ok to hang out in the room/empty room on the ship and just chill/talk/read/color. We take our time getting ready for dinner and allowed dd to roam the room/balcony.

We also took turns walking with her during meals so she wasn't sitting for 2 hours. We'd order, one would leave till food arrived. Then for dinner, dh would take her and I'd enjoy dessert.

10months--does the baby walk yet? Stroller for ports. We waited till dd was 14 months. At 10 months, while she was walking, I wasn't ready yet. plus, she was still on THREE naps. 1 nap is better.

" I also mentioned scented bags for diapers in the cabin."

I threw the diaper in the trashcan the first day, then asked for a diaper genie.

Also think about STAYING on the ship on port days. We got off and that was silly. I wish we would have stayed on. Since we didn't bring the carseat, no taxi rides, we walked, but there's really only shopping within walking and not much we could do with a 14 month old. We did walk to the 7 mile beach, but would have had more fun in the splash pad on the ship.

Next year, we're staying on the ship for two ports and getting off at the beach one. Once dd is old enough to snorkel/doesn't need a carseat, we'll do more stuff.

It doesn't take much for kids to have fun. DD had blast pushing chairs around and one night the basketball area was empty!

We didn't bring a blow up pool, dd had no idea she was 'missing' the pool.

Since no fresh food can be brought off at port bring prepackaged snacks--Cheerios, snack bars, gummy fruits, etc

Research ports so if your first plan falls through you have a second (and a third).

Hello, my wife, daughter, and myself are taking our first cruise in April. I am familiar with the port calls, due to recent visits while in the military, however I while there I was not visiting with family or with a cruise line.

So I would greatly love to hear from any parents, who can offer any advice, or tips either for excursions or cruising. My daughter is 3 and a half, fully potty trained, VERY active, and extremely sociable. Any advice or tips would be great!

There are also lots of great suggestions on the family page.

Your cruise ships website will have info about the services offered to each age group.

We just returned from 10 nights on Radiance. We made time for a family nap each afternoon. Kids club was great for us but met a lot of families who's kids refused to go.everyday we had an hour or 2 chilling by the kids pool while our 4 year old played.

Meals were a bit of a challenge as our 4 year old didn't like the kids menu but once we figured out the menu was flexible she was much happier eg plain rice or pasta for dinner.

Archived