New restrictions on mobility scooters

cotatica

I got a little concerned reading this and some other threads so I called Princess yesterday and received the following information:

Boarding Princess ships travelling from the US has no restrictions on scooters being allowed.

The scooter cannot weigh more than 100lbs without the battery.

The battery must be the same sealed type as airlines require.

The scooter must be stored in your stateroom.

The mini suite doorway for our cabin is 24" wide. I don't know doorway dimensions for other cabins. On HAL I had my own scooter from home that fit through their 21" doors so no problem.

I got a little concerned reading this and some other threads so I called Princess yesterday and received the following information:

Boarding Princess ships travelling from the US has no restrictions on scooters being allowed.

The scooter cannot weigh more than 100lbs without the battery.

The battery must be the same sealed type as airlines require.

The scooter must be stored in your stateroom.

The mini suite doorway for our cabin is 24" wide. I don't know doorway dimensions for other cabins. On HAL I had my own scooter from home that fit through their 21" doors so no problem.

Thank you for the Princess input... We were concerned too and now will be sure to check out cruise requirements. DH uses the Travelscoot which stores inside a Princess balcony cabin closet with no problem.

We saw some huge mobility scooters (rental ones) on our last cruise and these were stored in the stairwell areas at night - obviously these folk were not in disabled cabins. Joankiara

Scooters stored in the stairwells overnight is a bigger hazard than parking them in the corridor. Both the corridors and the stairwells are considered means of egress and are not to be used for storage.

I would've reported them.

Hi Folks

I have been reading these posts and similar ones witten last year on the same subject when P&O first announced that mobility scooters would not be allowed in non w/chair accessible cabins. We must accept that these changes will take place but the important thing is that proper safeguards must be put in place that do not exist at the present time to ensure that the w/chair accessible cabins go to genuine disabled passengers who require one as a necessity to enable them to cruise, rather than to people who try to book one simply for the convenience of taking a mobility scooter on board.

Whilst it is good to have an open discussion on the forum, this problem will only be addressed by P&O if we all write or email directly to the CEO and MD with our concerns and suggestions on how to improve the matter. It is no good just one person writing because they view it just as an individual problem and just dismiss it.

Hope my post receives support from you all.:)

I believe that since the Costa incident, the ships want the hallways to be clear, especially at night. I was able to get my travel scoot into my cabin. I am short and use the travel scoot junior so the dimensions are a bit less. On Holland America, they will take the scoot and store it for you overnight. In the morning, you just have to call and they will bring it back.

What about all the strollers I see that are brought on board?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived