Skinny In Italy!

CupKayke

Hi all - I found the Cruising in May thread and see that everyone gravitated over here. I was sooo excited when I saw there was a Cruise to Lose board! My husband and I will be on the Magic for a week starting May 19th. My goal is to lose 5 lbs per month. What's nice is my husband and I both are losing together so that makes it a bit easier. I'm counting points on WW and going to Curves a couple times a week. Then my husband and I try to walk 1-2 evenings a week and last weekend we actually pulled out our bicycles and rode the trails in a state park close to our home and had a blast! Ended up buying a yearly park pass so we can go out a lot more often! We actually started losing in the middle of January and have lost almost 10 lbs each!

It's so nice to have a place to talk with others and keep each other motivated! I haven't read the whole thread yet. I'll probably take the time this weekend. I'm going to school full time and have a few busy days ahead. Good luck all and can't wait to meet everyone!

Tammy

Welcome!! I cruise on May 18th...

It is good to have a group to get support from. And it's nice you have your hubby doing it with you.

The weather is gross where I am so no getting out much for exercise.

Some of us use the My Fitness Pal app to track our calories and are friends on there as well. If you do that, let us know so we can send you a friend request on that.

Thank you!! I have the My Fitness Pal app on my phone but have never used it. My user name is tperez77498. I just logged on to the news feed message that I have not logged in for a month and might need some encouragement! I'll have to start playing with that app too! I do know I do so much better when I track all of my eating and activity. Then I can see everything I put into my mouth.

Welcome to another person from Texas!! Ya'll have better weather than some of us. ;)

I'm "Skinny in Italy" on the My Fitness Pal board. Feel free to friend me. :D

I have switched-up what I'm eating a bit here and there and I'm back to more fruits and veggies. I'm going to read an aritcle about the "Mediterranean Diet" tonight... it can't hurt and it sounds healthy. I'm back on track after a few blows to the system. I think we need to switch it up a bit to get better results, IMHO.

I'm ready for March Spring-like weather here in Missouri ~ so I can walk outside, move shrubs, mulch, plant some things, etc... that's a "hidden workout" that burns calories and I love it all!! Just hanging-on a few more days through cold weather... at least that's what I'm telling myself!!:D:rolleyes:

It's so nice to have a place to talk with others and keep each other motivated! I haven't read the whole thread yet. I'll probably take the time this weekend. I'm going to school full time and have a few busy days ahead. Good luck all and can't wait to meet everyone!

Tammy

Welcome Tammy!!

Good group of ladies here, and everyone is in a different place in their journey.

Most of us weigh in and report back on Fridays, some saturdays. Pick whatever day works for you though. Some of us do weigh everyday, just don't count it until friday. The board is most active then, but most of us check in here and there.

And we are all on different cruises. A few of us are May 4th out of Venice.

I'm agottula on my fitness pal, feel free to add me.

Good luck and welcome again :)

Ashley

Welcome Tammy,

We sure have a lot of names ending in "Y" on this thread!

Kay, the Meditteranean diet is a great one. I love vegetables - but am not a big fan of fruits, nuts, legumes, etc. so I haven't adopted it. There was just a feature on a local television show about it yesterday and people have a lot of success on it. Very healthy.

Hope everyone has a good couple of days before Friday's weigh in.

Charlene

Welcome to another person from Texas!! Ya'll have better weather than some of us. ;)

I'm "Skinny in Italy" on the My Fitness Pal board. Feel free to friend me. :D

I have switched-up what I'm eating a bit here and there and I'm back to more fruits and veggies. I'm going to read an aritcle about the "Mediterranean Diet" tonight... it can't hurt and it sounds healthy. I'm back on track after a few blows to the system. I think we need to switch it up a bit to get better results, IMHO.

I'm ready for March Spring-like weather here in Missouri ~ so I can walk outside, move shrubs, mulch, plant some things, etc... that's a "hidden workout" that burns calories and I love it all!! Just hanging-on a few more days through cold weather... at least that's what I'm telling myself!!:D:rolleyes:

Did I know that you were from Missouri?? I am freezing here in Springfield, MO!! But I will be on a plane to Vegas and 70 degree weather on Friday!!

Did I know that you were from Missouri?? I am freezing here in Springfield, MO!! But I will be on a plane to Vegas and 70 degree weather on Friday!!

Well.... you do now!! LOL ;) I lived in Springfield, MO for 15 years. I love Springfield very much and my husband & I discuss returning to Springfield or a surrounding town (like Nixa) on a weekly basis. I miss Springfield. We aren't very far from you as it is. My sister is relocating from NC to Nixa this summer... which is REALLY putting the pressure on us to relocate too... but large houses sell slowly in small towns... which is where we are now.

Are you flying Allegiant to Vegas?? We used Allegiant to Orlando in 2010. GREAT DEALS TO BE HAD THERE!! I am looking at the Allegiant to Vegas packages for October ~ Hubby's 40th! I look forward to the day when we can always fly out of Springfield instead of having to drive to KC or STL.

It's FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZING here today too!! :( The wind is killer, eh??!! I keep thinking about warm sun and it being so hot outside we have to wear hats and SHORTS... and it keeps me from eating warm, hot bread. :confused:

PS ~ For those of you wondering, I have all of my teeth and they are nice and straight and I'm quite proud of them. I've read the no-teeth joke on a lot of CC threads when people mention Missouri. Winter's Bone was the worst thing that ever happened for "The Ozarks" reputation. :rolleyes:

Ashley ~ I am not usually one to jump on "fads" but that Mediterranean Diet was too good to be true. Tonight I had baked salmon (olive oil and herbs), steamed broccoli (no butter), and one glass of a Riesling. It was the best meal (and drink) I've had since January 1st. :D:D:D:D

Ashley ~ I am not usually one to jump on "fads" but that Mediterranean Diet was too good to be true. Tonight I had baked salmon (olive oil and herbs), steamed broccoli (no butter), and one glass of a Riesling. It was the best meal (and drink) I've had since January 1st. :D:D:D:D

Sounds fabulous! That one seems great from what I know, lower carb and healthy fats. Like I said, a lifestyle not a diet. Plus it will get you in the mood for our cruise :-) I should probably do the same. One glass a day. I had two large glasses today :-\ better than I used to though. One step at a time.

PS ~ For those of you wondering, I have all of my teeth and they are nice and straight and I'm quite proud of them. I've read the no-teeth joke on a lot of CC threads when people mention Missouri. Winter's Bone was the worst thing that ever happened for "The Ozarks" reputation. :rolleyes:

Haha. You crack me up. Haven't seen winters bone but I love Missouri, though the majority of my experience there was spent at Worlds of Fun throughout my childhood. We do have a good friend from the Ozarks though. Good people. :-)

Well.... you do now!! LOL ;) I lived in Springfield, MO for 15 years. I love Springfield very much and my husband & I discuss returning to Springfield or a surrounding town (like Nixa) on a weekly basis. I miss Springfield. We aren't very far from you as it is. My sister is relocating from NC to Nixa this summer... which is REALLY putting the pressure on us to relocate too... but large houses sell slowly in small towns... which is where we are now.

Are you flying Allegiant to Vegas?? We used Allegiant to Orlando in 2010. GREAT DEALS TO BE HAD THERE!! I am looking at the Allegiant to Vegas packages for October ~ Hubby's 40th! I look forward to the day when we can always fly out of Springfield instead of having to drive to KC or STL.

It's FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZING here today too!! :( The wind is killer, eh??!! I keep thinking about warm sun and it being so hot outside we have to wear hats and SHORTS... and it keeps me from eating warm, hot bread. :confused:

Ha! I have beautiful straight teeth too!! :)

I lived in Nixa for a couple of years, but the traffic getting into Springfield was a bugger!! Nixa is very nice though!

Yes, flying Allegiant to Vegas...one way flights from here are nice if you can pack light and avoid the hefty baggage fees!! I am weighing my bags carefully!!

I slathered on some self tanner this morning so I won't look like a ghost this weekend. Plus, doesn't flab look better when it is tan? :confused:

I have lost right at 8 pounds in the month of February. Hoping to not gain that back over the weekend!!

Ha! I have beautiful straight teeth too!! :)

I lived in Nixa for a couple of years, but the traffic getting into Springfield was a bugger!! Nixa is very nice though!

Yes, flying Allegiant to Vegas...one way flights from here are nice if you can pack light and avoid the hefty baggage fees!! I am weighing my bags carefully!!

I slathered on some self tanner this morning so I won't look like a ghost this weekend. Plus, doesn't flab look better when it is tan? :confused:

I have lost right at 8 pounds in the month of February. Hoping to not gain that back over the weekend!!

You are funny!! HAVE FUN IN VEGAS!! We were not allowed to check a bag - just have one carry-on each. They are super strict about those suitcase weights however.... we watched more than one family back-up from the counter and start removing/rearranging!

8 pounds in one month is awesome!!!!

THE FIRST OFFICIAL DAY OF SPRING IS ONLY 10 DAYS AWAY LADIES!!!!!!!!!! That means OUTSIDE walking!!

-1 pound today...

Totals... -9 pounds in Jan, -5 pounds in Feb and -14 pounds overall. My goal is 27 pounds by April 27th so I'm over HALF WAY to my goal!!

I plan to do much better in March than February!! Grapefruit & yogurt for breakfast ~ delicious, filling, & 167 calories!!

Great work Kay.

I'm down 1 pound this week as well to 144. That's 25 pounds lost since I started on September 12th. 4 more pounds to goal weight!

Charlene

Charlene ~ THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 4 pounds to goal weight is my dream!! :D:D:D

Happy March everyone!!

Congrats Kay and Charlene!!

No loss for me, but no real gain either. So I guess its ok.

I need to pick it up for March. The training might not be helping in the weight loss department at the moment, but once my body gets used to it I might start seeing some results on the scale. Only time will tell.

Have a great weekend!

Good Job Kaye and Charlene!! Congrats!!

Ashley - as my DH would say - you didn't go up!! I do envy you ... I can't drink wine if I want to lose anything. I have to limit alcohol to once a week. :(

I started trying to lose at the beginning of the year. After a couple of weeks battle with some medicine that made me retain everything I put into my mouth, I took myself off of it (it's just for inflammation for planters fasciitis so no biggie), I finally started to see the scale move. As of today, I'm 8 lbs down!

It's ended up being warmer here today than predicted this morning on the news. Looks like we may get to walk tonight! And if it stays this warm (66), we'll get out this weekend and ride our bikes on the trails at a state park that's fairly close. We rode last weekend and had a great time until my DH decided he wanted to see if he could make a whole boy scout troop move off the trail for us! He got an earful after that one! It was steep on one side and I could just see myself rolling down the hill! And I need to mention ... I haven't ridden on trails like that since I was 14 or 15 (I'm 46 now).

I don't remember if I mentioned my goals or anything. We cruise the Caribbean on May 19th. I would love to lose 20 lb before cruising but, being realistic, I'll be happy with 10! Anything beyond that is bonus!!

I did go back and read the thread. I don't remember any other question except favorite snack!! My DH and I have a Jello sugar pudding cup every evening after dinner. Only 60 calories and has some calcium! We honestly can't tell the difference between that and the leaded stuff. We also have discovered Menchies frozen yogurt. We've been going every weekend for month now. We only have 4-6 oz of yogurt and, with toppings, is never more than 200 calories!

Everyone have a great weekend! I have to get back to the books now.

Ashley - as my DH would say - you didn't go up!! I do envy you ... I can't drink wine if I want to lose anything. I have to limit alcohol to once a week. :(

Ha, well clearly I can't lose and drink either. But I'll continue to just lightly cut it back and see where that goes. I started having a cup of tea whenever I'm tempted for another glass. The sleepytime vanilla tea is really good if anyone is looking for a good pre-bedtime tea. I drink and eat out of boredom, so I need to have something. Whenever I don't have wine I end up eating anything I can find in the kitchen. Its a vicious cycle.

Welcome new folks!

Charlene - way to go - that is so close to goal!

Kay - great that you are over half way.

I think I am the same, maybe a hair down. My scale is in Kgs and it is a dial type - it seemed closer to the lower number than the higher one, but it depended on which eye I closed. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I was able to put on my vacation shorts...annnd zip them :) Hopefully I can work in a little wiggle room before the end of the month.

My daughter was born in Kirksville, Missouri while I was in school. She also has all of her teeth :D Except for the weather, I found it to be one of the most pleasant places to live.

Thought I would share a good recipe I had over the weekend - it fits in with most eating plans and is yummy both hot and as left overs:). You can use it cold to top salad the next day. All measurements are approximate as I eye-balled it.

Salmon with Balsalmic and Fig sauce

Mix Together

Approx 1/4 c. Balsalmic vinegar

2-3 tablespoons of Fig Preserves (I used Bonne Maman brand)

1 tsp. whole grain mustard

1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional; an alternative is a few dashes of tabasco)

Rub course sea salt and freshly ground pepper onto salmon filets (I had three filets weighing 1lb altogether). Spoon mixture over the top. Cook uncovered for 15-20 min (depending on how done you like your salmon) at 375 degrees F.

This same mixture can be placed on chicken breasts as well and cooked for 45 min. Another alternative is using apricot preserves instead of Fig, which is really good on chicken.

Enjoy:D

Love the idea of sharing recipes!! This is one of my family favorites and what I'm making for dinner tonight. And like some foods, it's even better the next day! Thank goodness since this will probably be part of dinner the next 3 nights. Busy week this week with mid-terms and trying to fit in working out. Then what's left goes into the freezer for another quick meal when needed!

Layered Mexican Chicken

Ingredients

2 spray(s) olive oil cooking spray

2 pound(s) uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast(s)

30 oz canned black beans, rinsed and drained

2 1/2 cup(s) fat-free sour cream

2 cup(s) shredded reduced-fat Mexican-style cheese, divided

8 oz chopped green chili(es), two 4-oz cans

2 tsp ground cumin

1/2 tsp black pepper

13 medium corn tortilla(s), cut in half each

1 cup(s) fat free salsa, mild, medium or hot

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat a lasagna pan with cooking spray.

Place chicken in a medium saucepan and fill with enough cold water just to cover chicken. Set pan over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 10 to 15 minutes; drain. When chicken is cool enough to handle, cut into 1-inch pieces.

Transfer chicken to a large bowl and add beans, sour cream, 1 cup shredded cheese, chilies, cumin and pepper; mix well and set aside.

Arrange 10 tortilla halves in bottom of prepared pan, overlapping pieces to cover surface. Top tortillas with 1/3 of chicken mixture and then layer with 8 tortillas halves. Spoon 1/3 more chicken mixture over top and then top with remaining 10 tortilla halves. Spoon remaining chicken mixture over top and sprinkle with remaining cup of cheese.

Bake until filling is bubbly and cheese is melted, about 30 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before slicing into 12 pieces. Serve with salsa on the side.

My modifications ...

A couple of things I do differently is if I don't have time to cook the chicken, I use a cooked rotisserie chicken. When I do have time to cook the chicken in advance, I use the fajita flavored chicken breasts or thighs. It just adds a bit more taste. Also, I use fewer corn tortillas. I cut or tear them into bite sized pieces and use 10 total. Last, instead of cooking spray, I pour in almost a whole small can of tomato sauce. This makes sure the tortillas are moist.

Ha, well clearly I can't lose and drink either. But I'll continue to just lightly cut it back and see where that goes. I started having a cup of tea whenever I'm tempted for another glass. The sleepytime vanilla tea is really good if anyone is looking for a good pre-bedtime tea. I drink and eat out of boredom, so I need to have something. Whenever I don't have wine I end up eating anything I can find in the kitchen. Its a vicious cycle.

I do end up drinking a lot of iced tea. Actually, part of the weight I'm trying to lose is because my DH would want me to have a glass of wine with him every night, which I loved! But I just can't metabolize it nearly as well as he can. I finally had to convince him that even the one glass was detrimental to me so now he's stopped offering. Now if I can break him of offering chocolate covered almonds in the evening! He just has a few but always presses at least one into my hand to have with him.

Luv the Mexican Chicken Recipe!! I will be making that soon!

This weekend was...

Friday night ~ Crab legs (boiled with seasoning and dipped in not butter & garlic), a small portion of a Porterhouse steak, steamed broccoli (with not butter).

Saturday ~ Mexican food at a restaurant :o Chicken quesadilla with spanish rice (I didn't eat the flour part of the quesadilla).

Sunday ~ Baked cornish hens with freshly snapped green beans.

I also had some bad stuff. :o This was a terrible weekend for me.

I'm always looking for easy meals that are under 400 calories per serving.

I also love curry. Here is a simple 1 skillet meal. Serves 4. Each serving is 322 calories.

1 pound ground chicken

1 chopped onion (180 grams)

2 chopped garlic cloves

red chili pepper flakes

1/2 tsp salt (I never use)

1/2 tsp ground ginger

1.5 cups water

1 tbsp curry ( I add more)

1 tsp turmeric

1 tsp cumin

1 tsp coriander

2 large Yukon gold potatoes (450 grams) cut in 1 inch cubes

2 cups canned tomatoes

1 cup frozen peas

Cook meat in skillet. Add onions and chili flakes. Saute 4-5 minutes. Add salt. Add ginger and garlic. Saute 2 minutes. Mix in spices, water, tomatoes and potatoes. Simmer 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add peas. Heat 5 more minutes. Serve in bowls. Serve with bread if desired.

Archived