Considering 12/2013 cruise but ?? about investing this soon in travel insurance

jrowland

Have my eye on a December 2013 cruise that really looks exciting to me but given the cost of the cruise for a party of three the premium for travel insurance is not cheap. The price of the insurance is acceptable but I need to have pre-existing waver. Given the cruise is almost a year in the future, I'm hesitant to bite the bullet and put down a deposit on the cruise Since most policies require purchase within 7-21 days of the deposit to get the waver. I can get my full cruise deposit if I cancel 120 days or more from the sailing date but I would still loose the cost of the insurance policy. Any thoughts,suggestions on how I might want to proceed outside of waiting for few months to make deposit and purchase insurance ?

Since nobody has replied since your original post,,,,

Nope, No suggestions.

You've pretty much got it down. You know the pros and cons of your situation. Wait it out is the only option I see with the parameters you've set forth.

Have my eye on a December 2013 cruise that really looks exciting to me but given the cost of the cruise for a party of three the premium for travel insurance is not cheap. The price of the insurance is acceptable but I need to have pre-existing waver. Given the cruise is almost a year in the future, I'm hesitant to bite the bullet and put down a deposit on the cruise Since most policies require purchase within 7-21 days of the deposit to get the waver. I can get my full cruise deposit if I cancel 120 days or more from the sailing date but I would still loose the cost of the insurance policy. Any thoughts,suggestions on how I might want to proceed outside of waiting for few months to make deposit and purchase insurance ?

CSA will cover pre-existing medical conditions as long as the policy is purchased no later than 24 hours after making the FINAL payment on your cruise. I don't recommend using insuremytrip for this insurer because with the Custom plans they offer you have to purchase the more expensive Luxe version to get the pre-ex coverage. With the Freestyle plans offered through travel agents and at tripinsurancestore.com you can buy the less-expensive version and still get the pre-ex coverage.

Travel Guard also has a plan that offers pre-ex coverage up until your final payment date but I don't believe it's available to residents of every state.

You don't need to put the premium down for the full amount of the trip at this time. You only need to pay premium on the monies you've paid out at the time you buy the policy.

As you book other elements of the trip, make further payments, etc., you simply call or e-mail them with the new amounts and pay the applicable additional premium.

Archived