First timer....be gentle

katcruiser1

I would go for the longer cruise. I feel that the precruise travel and embarkation to be a lot of work for only a few days. If you are close to port, a short cruise would be great, but with any travel, I would feel like its not as exciting.

Also, when you just start to have fun, you'll get kicked off.

But as the other poster said, any cruise is better than no cruise.

I agree with this 100%. The to and from, getting on and off and packing and unpacking are the worst part of the trip. On a 3 day you spend the first day unpacking and the last day packing with only 1 day for fun. Go for the week.

Wow ... ... I'm looking at week long cruises for sure now!!!!!

Katie

Glad to hear that.

Preparing for the cruise is almost as enjoyable as cruising itself. Decide your cruise, find the roll call for your cruise in CruiseCritic, research about shore excursions in the port of calls, check the dining and entertainment options, and many other exciting things.

If you are flying to the port of departure, please arrive at least one day early. You want to be on the safe side if there's a flight delay etc.

One last warning : cruising is addictive! :D

You have been warned. Enjoy your cruise!

We did a three day cruise the first time and wished we had more time! This upcoming cruise is an 8 day and it still feels as if it will go by too fast! :eek:

For a first timer, I suggest a 4-6 day cruise, just incase you find cruising isn't for you. But if you find yourself addicted, then you will know the length of cruise you want in the future. :)

Hi Katie,

My first cruise was a 10 day cruise and I thought it was a day or two long. I then went on a 7 day cruise the next time, and wishes I went on a 10 day cruise :). It all depends on whether or not you have anything planned before or after your cruise. Are you flying in from somewhere else. Last year, we cruised out of New Orleans. We had a four days in New Orleans - then a 7 day cruise - it was perfect.

My first cruise was a 4 day one. I did not want to leave the ship. It definitely was not enough time. I was hooked on cruising after that first one. Always have done at least 7 days after that. There is so much to do and see. Going on the Explorer the 13th of this month for 10 days. Royal Caribbean is my favorite. Leaving from a home port is a big advantage if you have one near you. No airfare!

For our first cruise (April 2012), we did 7 day Allure of the Seas and it was AWESOME!! Couldn't wait to get back onboard. I agree with the other replies that it takes a couple of days to get adjusted to the ship. I would also recommend looking for a cruise with fewer port days so you can truely enjoy the cruise experience.

Happy Cruising!!

Our first cruise was a trip we were invited on, so we didn't have much of a decision to make. It was more of "Do you want to go or not?" It was a quick cruise to the Bahamas out of Port Canaveral, which is only about 3.5-4 hours of a drive from home. I'm grateful that we started out with that trip because it has given us an appreciation for even the short trips. We have taken a couple more just like it, and enjoyed very much. I'd be lying if I told you that those were my favorites, however. I greatly enjoy a 7-day with a balcony, but will have a great time on a 4-day inside stateroom as well.

We took friends on our first 7-day (also our first balcony) and everyone had cruised before except for one of the friends. After that cruise, he never wanted to take a shorter cruise or be booked in a room less than a balcony. We, on the other hand, still try to take short cruises in between the bigger trips. If you are flying, I'd agree that you should plan a 7-day. If you're driving as we do, I still recommend anywhere from a 4-7 day.

Hi all....Happy New Year.

New to this site and took a few days of reading thru a lot of posts before I had the nerve to post.

Thinking about my first cruise this fall, either Nov. or Dec.

Would you choose a shorter cruise or jump right into a week long cruise?

Any tips for a newbie?

Thanks in advance......

Katie

Taking a shorter cruise (three or four nights) will give you a taste of what cruising is like, but not the full flavor. You need to go on a longer cruise (five to eight nights) to get the full flavor of what cruising is like.

First of all, on shorter cruises you are going to find more of a party like atmosphere where at times it can seem the goal for the day is to see how much alcohol one can consume.

Longer cruises will attract passengers with a different goal who appreciate how relaxing a cruise can be.

Katie

By now - if all went according to plan - you've already made the decision and taken your first cruise. How was it? Did you go for 'long' or 'short'? You have most likely already discovered that the answer lies in a combination of all the advice that was posted. I come from a cruising family where my mother used to sail for two or more months at a time! Personally, I've taken 3-days to 15-days. For me, 10 days is just about right. But it's always a matter of personal preference. Hope you had a wonderful time - whatever was your decision.

Dear Katie.

Reading what you wrote,

I feel a 7day cruise is recomended, as you will only start to relax a couple of days after boarding,so much to comprehend, where everything is.

The exitement of even cruising.

I have a couple of hints for a 1st time cruiser,,,

1/.Book a cabin in the middle of the ship and not to high up, a couple of levels down, if the ship rocks a little to much, you will feel more comfortable.

2/ With a short cruise you may want to look at inside cabin, as you will spend all your daylight hours outside enjoying activities,or just relaxing on deck.

3/ A longer cruise yes a window or outside cabin, is unreal as when waking up in morning and seeing the beauty outside, while cruising past other countries or wherever you may cruise,

4/Please take sea sickness Tab's you may need them.

5/ A hint re AirCon in cabin,,, a lot of people end up with dry throat or even a cough, this is due to air con in our cabins, dries the air out,

a quick remedy is put a bowl of water on your table ,this will keep the cabin a little moister.I found it very helpfull

Have done several cruises ,first 3 week South American,then a couple of 2 week & 1 week, best of all was 2012World Cruise 104 days, I am hooked on cruising,Am planing my next Alaska/Canada.

When you do finally go have a great time, you will enjoy , and will certainly go again.

Regards Elke.

Katie

By now - if all went according to plan - you've already made the decision and taken your first cruise. How was it? Did you go for 'long' or 'short'? You have most likely already discovered that the answer lies in a combination of all the advice that was posted. I come from a cruising family where my mother used to sail for two or more months at a time! Personally, I've taken 3-days to 15-days. For me, 10 days is just about right. But it's always a matter of personal preference. Hope you had a wonderful time - whatever was your decision.

This thread was started on January 1st of this year. Thus the Nov / Dec cruise the OP is planning is still more than ten months in the future.

I think it depends on where you're cruising from and where you live. If you have to fly a long ways to get there and possibly incur hotel and additional food costs, then I'd jump in to at least a seven day. Why pay all those travel expenses for a short cruise for something you are very likely going to have a great time at? If you're going to pay high additional costs, then make it worthwhile. If you live close to a port where it costs little to get to and from, then try out a couple day cruise to see if you like it.

I get sea sick and my first 2 days are usually very queasy, but it won't stop me from cruising again because we have an amazing time anyway :)

Hi, just back from my first cruise. It was for 10 days. To be very truthful if i had been able to get off after 3 days I would have. i found it very over whelming and all a bit to much to take in. I went with my partner and 4 year old. BUT about day 4 or 5 everything just clicked and I loved it from then on and am now planning our next cruise.

Hi all....Happy New Year.

New to this site and took a few days of reading thru a lot of posts before I had the nerve to post.

Thinking about my first cruise this fall, either Nov. or Dec.

Would you choose a shorter cruise or jump right into a week long cruise?

Any tips for a newbie?

Thanks in advance......

Katie

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I would just right in and take a week long cruise.

For years we used to tour all over Europe living out of 1 suitcase per person. Finally in the 80's I convinced my DH to go on a cruise. We actually booked a back-to-back cruise -- 14 days - and he loved it.

I would never book a short cruise. You are barely on the ship, unpacked, then it is time to pack and leave the ship.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, just saw this post. Hope not too late. In the last 20 years, my husband and I have been on 35 cruises. Early in our cruising we went for 7 days for a couple of years and then for 14 days. In the last several years, we have traveled on cruises for 28 to 30 days consistently. We found that the shorter cruises do not allow time to get the true feeling of relaxing and seeing the sights leisurely rather than rushing to see things and then being more tired when you get home. Unless you know or suspect you get motion sickness, try the 7 day first. You will enjoy the experience more, both on the ship and in the ports.

Archived