water/ ice in St. Maarten

cjackso8

Hey everyone! I'm doing a land based vacation in St. Maarten next week, and I was wondering, is the water and ice safe to consume there? I've been there a few times on cruises, but since I'll actually be staying there this time, don't want to risk it without asking first! Thanks!! :D:D:D

Not to worry.

Island water is from de-desalination plants, and is perfectly fine for drinking from the tap and as ice in drinks.

Do note that some of the older hotels and timeshare properties may have some problems with their plumbing from time to time, so I wouldn't drink it if it comes out with a rusty color.

We usually pick up at least a 6-pack of the larger water bottles (1.5 liters, I think) at the grocery and decant into a smaller bottle for the car. When half empty or so we'll freeze the larger ones, then top off in the morning to have cold ice water all day on the beach (or use in the cooler for ice).

gary

We stayed at the Royal Palm on Simpson Bay last Juen and had no issues with it there. We still prefer bottled water and it was no issue getting lots of it from a grocery store a couple of blocks away.

Enjoy your week. There is a TON to do on the island as well as off the island (Pinel, Prickly Pear, St. Barths, Saba, etc) and lots of places to eat. I highly recommend Paradise View up near Orient if you want a great breakfast/brunch.

Archived