Star Flyer Pics? Windjammer vs Star Clipper?

SakeDad

Hi everyone!

As you can see from my signature I have worked on cruiseships and we have been on a few as passengers. But one of our faves was the Windjammer Mandalay several years ago.

We have just seen the Dec 1 Comet Viewing Costa Rica sailing on the Star Flyer and I am busy reading all the posts below which already have great info.

But so far I have not found extensive pictures of the Flyer or her cabins (would really like to see comparisons although I have certainly seen some great verbal comparisons and info already here ;)) I'm a visual person and really like to see actual pics vs the paid ad pics.

Also, for those that have sailed WJ and Star Clipper lines what are your thoughts on the two? Is one more casual? One more sophisticated? Excurions? Food and drink? Can't wait to hear your thoughts! :D

Thanks

I like them both, but I prefer Windjammer-type ships for its complete casualness, yet a very professional crew, Of course Windjammer Barefoot Cruises (WBC) has been gone since late 2007, but you can find some of the crews at Island Windjammers and Windjammer Sailing Adventures. WSA just started sailing in early 2012 and their ship IS the Mandalay for WBC! Island Windjammers (IWJ) has two ships: Diamant (12 passengers) and Sagitta (24 passengers). I've sailed twice on Diamant, and I'm so spoiled! Sailing in a couple of months on Sagitta.

Star Clipper ships are bigger, more gleam and glitter, more passengers, more options for mealtimes, more tour options. Not always sailing; often motoring. Alcohol on board is an extra cost. Cabins really nice. Passengers often include those from Europe, Canada, Australia, whom I enjoy meeting. Crew-passenger talent show (all voluntary) is always good.

WSA: I can't say because I haven't sailed with them yet. Only one ship: Mandalay, which has been completely refurbished with fewer cabins than when she was a Windjammer Barefoot Cruises (WBC) ship. Some involved as owners and crew at WSA are former WBC personnel. sailwindjammer.com

IWJ: Two gorgeous multi-masted sailing ships that have sails up whenever they are at sea unless there is just no wind at all. Diamant is a beautiful wooden-hulled ship; not sure about Sagitta. For both: Cabins are cozy but well done, most with double beds and single upper bunk. Each has its own AC and bathroom with shower. Sagitta even has two single cabins (no single supplement fee). Meals (included) are buffets, a set menu or shore BBQs, but you can make pre-arrangements if you have dietary needs or druthers. All-you-can-drink rum, beer, iced tea and sodas offered on board and included in your price (also included: all your taxes, fees, port charges). If you want something to drink other than what is offered on board, you are welcome to bring your it on! No corking fees. Free rum swizzles and appetizers on board every afternoon around 4:30-5pm. Passengers tend to be ages mid-30s on up, even into early 80s.....all very hardy and active types, all very friendly. IWJ does offer family sailing rates in June and July. Depending on island stops, there may be tour options, but most often these ships get to the smaller Caribbean islands are sailed for the thrill of sailing (every day from 6-noon, then anchored at an island til next am), with passengers enjoying snorkeling, kayaking, beach time, exploring island towns, bars and trails, or simply relaxing. Plenty of space onboard to do the latter. Crew on Diamant is all former WBC crew, and many, if not all, on Sagitta also are. islandwindjammers.com.

Hope this helps some.:)

From SailorJM again:

If you can find Star Clipper pix (the actual Star Clipper ship), you'll know what Star Flyer looks like, in and out. They are sister ships, mirror images.:)

Thanks...that will help. I am deciding on cabins now, Cat 2-4. I probably won't sail the Caribbean anytime soon as I sailed for 2 months on Disney Dream to Nassau. :rolleyes: Also living on the West Coast it just takes way too long to get there! 16 hours to St Lucia! It's only 13 to San Juan, Costa Rica.

Having worked and cruised on so many larger ships it will be nice to be on a smaller Star Clipper style ship. But yes, I agree the COMPLETE casualness of WJ was something I will always miss.

Thanks for the info, this is a very slow board compared to the others.;)

I hear you about West Coast to Caribbean. That's a problem we deal with, too. I do wish the Windjammer ships would sail closer to us. But at least there's Star Clipper and Windstar for these areas now. My first choice among those is with you: a Star Clipper ship. I like them both, but I love that SC is a little more casual than WS, and the varied passenger base is such fun. Biggest surprises to us were (1) that since SC is a working ship, sometimes you have to go up to go down, out to go up, around to go down, etc! and, (2) hearing announcements in several languages! Enjoy! Beautiful ships!:)

Archived