traveling solo

mcsean

As ther is no assigned seating and as I am traveling solo,how shall I be seated for meals? Does the maitre d'

seat me with group? Do I table hop? Or God forbid, do I eat alone?

You state which one of those you prefer and the Maitr D' organises it. You will definitely not be on a table by yourself unless you want it. Larger tables are also "set aside" for couples and singles and more to mix on a "pot luck" basis which many find fun.

Jeff

if you speak to the Maitre D' you can be very specific in your request. You could say, "I'd like to be seated with single men, women, or whatever." He has several options. If you arrive at the dining room at a specific time, he will have multiple tables open, and he often tries to juggle things based on what he believes works. It has also been known that passengers might ask to be seated with another (or not seated with another) and the Maitre D' will accomodate this request also. He RUNS the dining room, and has an extraordinary memory.

If you are on a cruise in Sept.,and it happens to be the same as ours you are more than welcome to sit with us....then you can check it all out!! You will be just fine as a solo traveler.

Tom, we are on the cruise just before yours. That is probably why we disembark on the 20th and they don't set sail again until the 21st. They'll have to restock!!! :D

Don, we'll be on the Silver Whisper cruise just before yours. They may even have to restock before your cruise.

--Rich

:D

Sounds like Silverseas does it the same way as the RSSC Mariner I was on in Feb as a single. I loved open sitting. Sat with a group every night but one. LOL they have something on the menu I thought I would do a second order on if it was great, but it wasn't.....

Only problem is if you go to dinner at the same time every night, you end up with repeats on your table mates. Most cases that is OK, but 3 nights out of 12 I ended up with the Opera lecturer from Hell... OK I hate opera and a non-stop talker of it was not good. But with open sitting you do not know all your table mates until you get to your table and all seats are full.

The ship board main show personel also had the option to eat in the main dinning room on non show nights and I sat with a male/female pair of singer/dancers two nights. Very interesting talk about the cost of the shows and how one costume cost more than what the singer/dancer made in 6 months......

Only problem is if you go to dinner at the same time every night, you end up with repeats on your table mates. Most cases that is OK, but 3 nights out of 12 I ended up with the Opera lecturer from Hell... OK I hate opera and a non-stop talker of it was not good. But with open sitting you do not know all your table mates until you get to your table and all seats are full..

A quiet word with the Maitre D' will cure this and he'll open a second table and make sure you have a change. I notice that they do a lot of forward table planning before the doors open marking preferences in advance so I'm sure you'll get what you want.

Jeff

A quiet word with the Maitre D' will cure this and he'll open a second table and make sure you have a change. I notice that they do a lot of forward table planning before the doors open marking preferences in advance so I'm sure you'll get what you want.

Jeff

thanks Jeff, I probably will be doing the Cloud for my next cruise. The problem with the Opera lady is she liked to dominate the subject. One problem the Sliverseas Cloud does not have is that RSSC ships have both a front and back enterance to the main restaurant.

I'd be absolutely explicit and tell the MD quietly you need to avoid the Opera Lady, they will have a work around I'm sure. They have heard it all before and will be sympathetic, non-judgemental, discrete and helpful.

Jeff

Archived