Back from the spirit south bound any questions?

jimiam

We are from Tennessee. We are flying in June 30th and renting a car to do a loop through the interior. The day before the cruise we still be staying at the Hilton downtown Anchorage next to the Egan Center. The Carnival bus is picking us up at the Egan the day of the cruise for the drive to Whittier. We are a family of four. I will be easy to spot....I will be the one hogging the karaoke microphone!!!!

How exciting for Alaska to be your first cruise. You will have a wonderful time. Our boys both loved Camp Carnival over the years, but they are both "to old" for that now (17 and 14). The oldest usually hangs around the ping pong table and the youngest is a special needs child that hangs with Dad. (and sometimes Mom) A word of warning, all the beef entrees at dinner will be excellent except for the New York Strip. It will be dry and tough. I have had it on 9 different Carnival ships. Some of that is probably my fault because I eat everything welllll done. Our last waiter in October started laughing after the 2nd night and quoting me before I could say it " Yes, I want the beef and burn it!" (I am a very boring person who always eats the same things!) Hubby has always been pleased with the seafood dishes. (Especially the 2 to 3 lobsters he gets!) As a family, we love the soups and desserts. Hubby usually skips the salad and gets two appetizers. Just feel free to order at will !! I also carry about $50 in 1 dollar bills to tip my room service waiters who bring me my coffee, danish and bagels every morning. If you want breakfast in your room, they will have door hangers that you put out every night to let them know what you want....how much of it...and at what time. They are usually within 5 minutes of the window I give them. I always carry a can of Clorox spray with which I completely disinfect the room, bathroom and beds top to bottom before the family comes in. And we keep a bottle of hand sanitizer on the dresser. The boys know to apply as they enter and leave the room. I don't know if that has been the key, but we have been on 3 Norwalk cruises and none of us have gotten sick.

Musicmansmom - Thanks for the heads up on the bug repellent. I will pack my Skin So Soft. I had heard through the boards that they had a bumper crop of bugs this year....especially if you are into hiking.

We are pretty limited to the shore excursions that we can do, because of our youngest son. So we are looking forward to just grabbing the bus in Juneau and making the rounds. The rest of the cruise, we will be playing by ear.

After all these years, we have gotten pretty good at just making it up as we go.

CarlyJoann....look forward to seeing you there!!

Archived