Port Fees/Taxes on AOS??

My DH asked me how much our cruise was going to cost because a few people had asked him and I rattled off an amount that I thought was close and added "+ taxes and port fees I assume". So we looked around trying to figure out what these might be. So he got on a phone and I got on a phone and we both called RCI. The lady I got told me that they don't call them port fees anymore - that it is mainly taxes. I told her what showed up as taxes on my my bill and she said that was all I would pay. My husband got a completely different answer. He got something like 139.00 + 39.25 pp. So.... my question is.... has anyone taken a 7 day on AOS with a 5 port stops lately and would they share how much (approximately) those fees were.

I preferred the answer I got.:D

When we sailed that route I checked travelocity.com for prices before going to my TA. The price that is quoted of 599.00 is before taxes are added,but does include port charges, so youmay have to add about $40.00in taxes to the 599.00 fare. The taxes are the same no matter what category cabin you choose.

The charges are now called Taxes/Fees, and they run approximately $39.25 per person for that itinerary. The fee is usually in addition to the quoted price of the cruise.

Well the part about the charges being called taxes now is what I was told and the 39.25 was what was told to my DH. So I just wonder what the 139.00 was. But thanks guys, at least it doesn't seem to be as bad as I first thought.

I don't know how full your sailing is......but if you go to the RCI site online and go through the complete cabin choosing and booking process, up untill you enter your credit card info. It will break the taxes and fees out for you. I think they remain pretty much the same for each cabin category. The port charges are no longer broken out. I think there was a class action suit against several lines. And I guess port charges are no longer refundable.

I was shocked last evening. I added cruise line air to an existing Hawaii booking in 2006.

Taxes & Fees - $42.86

Add Air, Taxes & Fees- $111.08

Big Jump! :)

I was shocked last evening. I added cruise line air to an existing Hawaii booking in 2006.

Taxes & Fees - $42.86

Add Air, Taxes & Fees- $111.08

Big Jump! :)

Yeah, but if you looked at how much the taxes and fees are for the airfare alone (depending on where you are flying from and through) the difference is close to that amount.

This is only an example....I will just use a random $$ amount for the cruise fare.

This is how the charges used to be broken down.

Tariff (or cruise fare): $800

Non commisionable charges (used to be called port charges): $139.00

Tax/Fees: $39.25

Total price: $978.25

NOW they just lump the Tariff fare-$800- & the port charges/non-commissionable charges-$139 together = $939.

So the breakdown for that cruise would be $939 + 39.25 (taxes & fees) = $978.35.

Some agents will still break it down for you and some won't.

Did I explain that so it makes sense? Or did I make it sound more confusing?;)

That makes perfect sense, Kitty. Cruises in July 05, Oct. 05 and Oct. 06 are all booked directly with RCL, since there didn't seem to be much of a price difference. They are of course, KEEPING all of the charges that would have gone to a TA, no reason to break it out! I guess. :D

Thanks wrp. We always book our own air, so taxes and fees aren't usually a shocker. The Hawaii cruise has 2 one ways, west coast to Hawaii, and San Diego to Bay Area. Transfer from Ensenada is something like $70? RCL air is $479 p/p as an add on. Not a bad price, I may be able to beat it.

What surprised me, is that the actual price for the air add on, is actually $512 p/p. Once you add the taxes and fees. I can probably do better in the next 16 months, but we will still have the Ensenada transfer

Yes, it makes sense to me. But I didn't book through RCI - they didn't have the cabin available that I wanted so I ended up finding it through YAHOO. I have never used YAHOO before so I hope all goes well with that. So I guess I am still wondering if I could still have additional fees since I didn't book directly with the cruise line. It doesn't really matter - I am going no matter what:D ! I was just trying to answer DH's ?Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait!!

Archived