Hawaiian Cruise Options - Need Input

akaCruiser

I have to say the POA was worth it. We did the cruise in April 2012 and spent easter in Maui. We had a week and we were able to see most of the island without flying from island to island and wasting valuable time. Maui and Kauaui we were there overnight.

Did you take any excursions while on the POA, as I was looking at some of them and they seem to be interesting, but I also read that if you grab a rental car you can cover the same places at a lower cost.

I one thing I want to do in Hawaii was attending the traditional Luau (roast piggy :D). I think that there is an excursion for this, but I might do it separately.

There is link in my signature to my review of our POA trip in 2010. It is an extensive review with lots of photos and details. If you are going to cruise Hawaii I definitely think POA is the way to go. I would not like all the sea days involved in sailing from the mainland.

Aloha!

I just finished reading your review and enjoyed our observations and comments. It seems that as long as you use the POA as a place to sleep and eat it is a good way of seeing the islands. The feedback to date is making it very hard to decide how we will cruise Hawaii :p

I really appreciate all the suggestions and ideas.

Consider doing a b2b cruise to make it worth your while. We have done this 3 times as well an spend 6/7 days in Waikiki as well only to avoid some of the Canadian winter.

Hawaii is very expensive, pineapples will cost you $10, quart of milk will be around $6

Restaurant are also very expensive with very few if any specials including the HO Jo's IHOP's.

I would also do a b2b before spending the extra week in Waikiki. I would save by taking a lesser cabin and DIY car rental tours. I can't see you spending too much time in the cabin while in Hawaii. We didn't!

We toured the Honolulu sights before taking the red-eye back to Vancouver.

Archived