Hooray for The Dawn and NCL!

greenie

Did I miss that this was posted already?? If so, sorry. But I am so happy!

The Bahamas Maritime Authority has released a statement affirming that the captain of Norwegian Dawn "took appropriate action to reduce the effects of the weather on the ship" when it ran into a severe storm in April, and was struck -- and damaged -- by a freak 70-ft. wave.

According to the statement, the captain implemented what's called the Severe Weather Contingency Plan prior to the impending weather, alerting crew and passengers to the severity of the storm, and notifying NCL that the ship's arrival in New York would be delayed. The report also states that the captain took proper precautions including reducing speed, altering course and initializing the ship's stabilizers, and kept crew, passengers and on-shore officials informed of the ship's progress approximately every four hours.

What about the Donald Trump connection (a call had been canceled on that same voyage to allow extra time to return to New York for a taping of "The Apprentice")? According to the Bahamas Maritime Authority's statement, "there is no evidence that any real or perceived urgency to arrive at New York earlier was a factor in the handling of the ship … the captain's actions have been found to be prudent and appropriate throughout."

The Bahamas Maritime Authority investigates all marine incidents and accidents involving ships registered to the Bahamas.

there were a couple of long threads about this last week, Greenie. But don't feel bad - even those didn't get much traffic... i suppose it's more fun to speculate and unleash blame and conspiracy theories than hear a very predictable, unexciting truths.

As a passenger on that voyage I never felt the captain and crew did anything inappropriate. I'm happy with the report and agree that the captain kept us informed. I only hope the "farleys" out there hear about this report and quit their whining about lawsuits.

there were a couple of long threads about this last week, Greenie. But don't feel bad - even those didn't get much traffic... i suppose it's more fun to speculate and unleash blame and conspiracy theories than hear a very predictable, unexciting truths.

Thanks for telling me, Splatitudes. I missed them somehow! :o I guess you're right--no one is interested in the subject now that all is well "blame" wise. Aren't people funny!

Thanks greenie. I'm glad to know that NCl did what it should have. I never thought for a minute that it didn't.

Well, (s)hoot, Judy, I agree with you, girl. I never thought otherwise either ... I hope this report calms some of the ranters down....

.... but it prolly won't.:rolleyes:

We saw this report and were delighted! I think people are genuinely surprised (and horrified) when the ocean acts like a wild force of nature instead of a millpond and ships act like ships instead of landbased hotels and someone must be blamed! The cruise industry, unfortunately, pretends that modern ships with stabilizers do not rock and roll (even though most ocean-going ships have had stabilizers since the 50s) and that bigger means more stable. With their shallow, flat-bottomed hulls and thin steel plating, most modern cruise ships are actually less well suited to dealing with violent storms than ships a generation or two ago. The Dawn is, happily, one of the best designed and most stable...as well as one of the best directed. Long live Capt. Peterstam!

As a passenger on that voyage I never felt the captain and crew did anything inappropriate. I'm happy with the report and agree that the captain kept us informed. I only hope the "farleys" out there hear about this report and quit their whining about lawsuits.

here, here, i totally agree i also was on that cruise,and the captain kept everyone informed as to what was going on. at no time did i or the other 3 in our party feel jepordised at any time,and that includes 1 firsttimer. ithink the frailey's should give the captain and crew a break and get a life, there is no money to be made here.

Did I miss that this was posted already?? If so, sorry. But I am so happy!

The Bahamas Maritime Authority has released a statement affirming that the captain of Norwegian Dawn "took appropriate action to reduce the effects of the weather on the ship" when it ran into a severe storm in April, and was struck -- and damaged -- by a freak 70-ft. wave.

According to the statement, the captain implemented what's called the Severe Weather Contingency Plan prior to the impending weather, alerting crew and passengers to the severity of the storm, and notifying NCL that the ship's arrival in New York would be delayed. The report also states that the captain took proper precautions including reducing speed, altering course and initializing the ship's stabilizers, and kept crew, passengers and on-shore officials informed of the ship's progress approximately every four hours.

What about the Donald Trump connection (a call had been canceled on that same voyage to allow extra time to return to New York for a taping of "The Apprentice")? According to the Bahamas Maritime Authority's statement, "there is no evidence that any real or perceived urgency to arrive at New York earlier was a factor in the handling of the ship … the captain's actions have been found to be prudent and appropriate throughout."

The Bahamas Maritime Authority investigates all marine incidents and accidents involving ships registered to the Bahamas.

I asked someone I work with who served in the Navy and she confirmed tha when faced with a storm you can't outrun or avoid, the best thing to do is go straight into it headfirst. This prevents a ship being rolling over. The ride is scary, but better than being rolled over.

Archived