Hotel stay night before Whittier departure?

emeltee

We will be touring the Seward Hwy the day before our departure from Whittier. We don't have any particular agenda - just going to take a leisurely drive from Anchorage to our hotel for the night. Taking in whatever sights catch our fancy, thought Alaska Conservation Center is a priority.

The day of embarkation, we will be taking a PWS tour prior to embarking.

I was thinking of staying at the Alyesa Resort the night before our departure. However, I was wondering if I should consider staying in Whittier instead. There will be 7 of us.

Also, any restaurant recommendations for the drive? For lunch/ dinner the night before, then breakfast the day of?

I'm finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and have most of my decisions made. Thanks for everyone's help on this board!

I haven't stayed at the Inn at Whittier, but the MT. Alyeska Lodge is wonderful. I would stay there again in a heartbeat. Bring your swimsuit for their huge indoor pool. The food there is pretty good, and there are a couple other restaurants nearby. You must stop at the Bake Shop http://www.thebakeshop.com for the amazing cinnamon rolls.

Alyeska in Girdwood would be a good choice for the night. The Double Musky for dinner is one of the better places and we enjoy stopping at The Bake Shop for breakfast, as Suzanne mentioned. There are a lot of very positive reviews on both if you search. Be aware of the Whittier tunnel times in Bear Valley. You can only drive from Bear Valley to Whittier on the ½ hour. Traffic goes the opposite direction through the tunnel on the hour. The Inn at Whittier is nice but there is nothing to do there except the day cruise and food options are limited.

Archived