Sailing on the Wind Surf

PirateHubby

We just returned from a wonderful cruise on the Wind Surf out of St. Maarten. My wife has already commented on the cruise as PirateWife. I wanted to add my own comments regarding life aboard the ship.

The sea is a living thing and I love the feeling of being on a ship going through the waves. I believe that I slept more soundly on the Wind Surf than I have in years. The motion of the ship as it crested and rolled through the waves was very relaxing, like being rocked in a cradle. However, many of my fellow passengers did not share these sentiments. I have never had a problem with motion sickness but I know that quite a few of the other passengers were feeling the effects the first few days of the cruise.

The most striking thing for me about the Wind Surf was that it is an incredibly graceful ship. My favorite place to watch the action was on the Star Deck as far forward as I could get. (Again, I don't have problems with motion sickness, but I wouldn't recommend this if you do). We were under sail power almost the entire cruise except when we were entering or leaving ports.

I am an early riser. I particularly enjoyed having my first cup of coffee at the Yacht Club on the Main deck. This was quality me time. They open at 6AM. I would pick up the daily edition of the Jumble, Suduko and Crossword and be working on them until my wife joined me. We would then go up to Veranda for breakfast and on to the day's adventures.

Another special time on the Wind Surf is when they set the sails. The best spot for this is at the Compass Rose Bar on the stern. They play "Conquest of Paradise" over the bar's speakers while the sails are being opened. This is a must do at least once during the cruise.

The last thing I will comment on is the incredible night skies. We were fortunate to have moonless skies during our cruise. We found the perfect place on the Star Deck to watch the stars, a double lounge chair. We would lay there for hours and watch the stars. The only sounds were the wind in the sails and the splash of the waves.

We are already planning our next Wind Star adventure.

PirateHubby

We just returned from a wonderful cruise on the Wind Surf out of St. Maarten. My wife has already commented on the cruise as PirateWife. I wanted to add my own comments regarding life aboard the ship.

The sea is a living thing and I love the feeling of being on a ship going through the waves. I believe that I slept more soundly on the Wind Surf than I have in years. The motion of the ship as it crested and rolled through the waves was very relaxing, like being rocked in a cradle. However, many of my fellow passengers did not share these sentiments. I have never had a problem with motion sickness but I know that quite a few of the other passengers were feeling the effects the first few days of the cruise.

The most striking thing for me about the Wind Surf was that it is an incredibly graceful ship. My favorite place to watch the action was on the Star Deck as far forward as I could get. (Again, I don't have problems with motion sickness, but I wouldn't recommend this if you do). We were under sail power almost the entire cruise except when we were entering or leaving ports.

I am an early riser. I particularly enjoyed having my first cup of coffee at the Yacht Club on the Main deck. This was quality me time. They open at 6AM. I would pick up the daily edition of the Jumble, Suduko and Crossword and be working on them until my wife joined me. We would then go up to Veranda for breakfast and on to the day's adventures.

Another special time on the Wind Surf is when they set the sails. The best spot for this is at the Compass Rose Bar on the stern. They play "Conquest of Paradise" over the bar's speakers while the sails are being opened. This is a must do at least once during the cruise.

The last thing I will comment on is the incredible night skies. We were fortunate to have moonless skies during our cruise. We found the perfect place on the Star Deck to watch the stars, a double lounge chair. We would lay there for hours and watch the stars. The only sounds were the wind in the sails and the splash of the waves.

PirateHubby

Thank you, I will share your comments with my husband. I'm sure your observations will add excitement to our Windsurf Cruise out of St. Maartin on the 9th of March.

Shirley & Guy

Thank you for that very nice review, Piratehubby. I've been on the fence on rebooking, since I've had three cruises cancelled/chartered/changed in a row, but you captured the feeling perfectly; especially that early morning time. Makes me want to book today!

PirateHubby

Good review 'pirate'. I've got one more experience that one might want to try. Our first night on Wind Surf, on our first cruise on Wind Surf, I was awakened during the night by the 'silence' and I realized that we were totally under sail power. So we piled out of bed at three in the morning to go 'look'. We were the only people on deck to observe the spectacular sight of the ship 'sailing' through the total blackness with a 'billion' stars overhead. Very cool. We also became aware that the cooks were baking the fresh breads for the day. :)

We a leave for SFO a week from today, and will spend three nights in St. Maarten at the Sonesta Maho Beach before our B2B. :D

Archived