Aurora Borealis

DaphneD

Any chance of seeing this on an Inside Passage cruise in September? I've read that September is a good month since the Aurora Borealis is often quite active then, but don't know if the Inside Passage is a good area for it.

Thanks!

DD

Sept can be a good time for aurora. I suggest you keep a close tab on the predictions- DAILY from the Fairbanks U Geo physical institute site. AND when the predictions are good that far south, get out on a dark spot on deck and plan on being out of several hours in the middle of the night. Sometimes you may be able to get a bridge call if they are viewable, inquire at the pursers desk.

May is usually too light. I was out part of the nights mid May and did not see any aurora, although some reported they did.

Been to Alaska twice in mid-late May and haven't had the luck of seeing the Northern Lights. Twice this year, actually, the geomagnetic storms were so strong you could see them as south as Toronto (where I live), but I forgot and missed them both times! I get my news from spaceweather, because they email you about coronal mass ejections (solarflares, which cause Auroras). Hopefully one day I'll either catch the ones that end up here or get to see them in Alaska.

Does anyone have any contact details on tours etc or where best to view it in Fairbanks. We will be there 03rd September.

Appreciate any help in advance.

You need to budget in several days for the best chance and the least bit of cloud cover will prevent any views. I opted for a 5 day window last year and on both my winter trips- 2 weeks each. This is recommended. Anyway- in Fairbanks you need your own transportation and lodging is best outside of the city. Although few have good viewing. Be willing to get out by 1am if predictions are good. I like parking on the Steese, over the hill past the Chena Hot Springs exit. Great viewing. As for Chena Hot Springs, be sure to take an old suit you don't care about, will turn funky colors. I find this lodging to no longer be my preference. The present management is no where near what the older one was in my opinion. There are serveral nice lodges and B&B's on the Chena Hot Springs Road that are superior in my opinion.

Keep on top of the aurora predictions and check in every day, this is your best option for viewing.

If anyone is flying out of Anchorage in late Aug or Sept, around midnight, sit on the left side of the plane and you will have an excellent chance of seeing the Northern Lights. Last year we had about an hour and a half show, and it was the highlite of a great vacation.

Archived