Celebrity Infinity - Oct 24 2013 - T/A Harwich to Miami - Pied Piper sailing

Petert102

First ... Glenn: have a fantastic time in Alaska. I see that you've been there before, so you already know how beautiful it is. To this day, one of our favorite trips remains the ten days we spent driving around the Alaskan interior before a one-week Alaska cruise.

Second. . . Peter, we are okay with your cancelling the Harwich suicide watch, as we'll be fine with all those rustic folks! :) In fact, tell Paul that in January, we traveled to Antarctica aboard the National Geographic Explorer... and did we see wildlife!!

Here are a few photos I took (among the 7,000 or so):

Adeliemarch1024x678_zps8ba4e0ef.jpg

HumpbackTail1024x715_zps3ececea7.jpg

LeopardSealFace1024x678_zps2d6cce43.jpg

Chinstraps1024x768_zps87f34a01.jpg

(from the top: Adélie penguins, humpback whale, leopard seal, chinstrap penguins)

(photos by turtles06)

Paul wants to know if, amongst all that nature, there was a Designer Label Outlet Mall, he needs to have one that is nearby at all times, otherwise he will have a total breakdown, as shopping IS very important to him as an addicted shopaholic !!!!! I, on the other hand, would LOVE to do your trip, but he would just not come - just too much nature for him.

He could change is mind if some of the Penguins were sporting designer logos

Peter

Paul wants to know if, amongst all that nature, there was a Designer Label Outlet Mall, he needs to have one that is nearby at all times, otherwise he will have a total breakdown, as shopping IS very important to him as an addicted shopaholic !!!!! I, on the other hand, would LOVE to do your trip, but he would just not come - just too much nature for him.

He could change is mind if some of the Penguins were sporting designer logos

Peter

Yes for sure! Who could be expected to visit the Antarctic and not shop?! The Brits maintain their historic base at Port Lockroy on an island just off the Antarctic Continent, where, along with nesting Gentoo penguins, they have their own Designer Shop, complete with Penguin Logo hats, tee shirts, pajamas, key chains and more. Paul would be in heaven! They will take dollars, pounds, and Euros even. :)

Gentoo Penguins, so exotic. We saw Fairy Penguins swimming out of the sea after a fishing trip to Antartica at Philips Island near Melbourne Australia. Maybe you two can work on him to take the same cruise while we are all at the Martini Bar on the Infinity. Knowing that there is shopping is simply HUGE for him. I would really appreciate that. We already have visits to El Corte Ingles scheduled for Vigo for the Spanish "Purificacion Garcia" clothing line and Paris em Lisboa in Lisbon for those luxurious million thread count Egyptian cotton sheets, that they make so well. He is not big on visiting dusty monastaries, shrines stuffed with virgins etc. We shop at ports of call and have a wonderful luncheon in good restaurants accompanied by tons of wine. Sadly our visit to Gijon falls on a Sunday so the shopping will be limited, I guess he will just stay on board the Ship

Mega Hugz

Peter

Edited by Petert102

@Turtles06:

Thanks for the great Antarctica pictures. Beautiful images.

@Peter:

I didn't think about Gigon on a Sunday. I hope that there is some shopping and that some restaurants will be open for us.

I'm hoping that I can find a good French restaurant in La Rochelle for some French wine or champagne!

@Turtles06:

@Peter:

I didn't think about Gigon on a Sunday. I hope that there is some shopping and that some restaurants will be open for us.

I'm hoping that I can find a good French restaurant in La Rochelle for some French wine or champagne!

Look at Trip Advisor for La Rochelle, there are tons of good eateries there. Dont worry about Gijon for shopping on a Sunday, will probably be closed, but restaurant will be open. Think that Vigo will be allot better fpr shopping and they have an El Corte Ingles Dept Store

Peter

Edited by Petert102

@Turtles06:

@Peter:

Glenn, thanks very much for the kind words about the pics. :)

Re La Rochelle: I can't recall whether I've already posted this (I think I did over on the "main" Roll Call), but in case this is a help to you or anyone else, here's a link to a down-loadable map of La Rochelle. It's in two parts, with a good blowup of the Vieux Port area. In color, even.

http://www.holidays-la-rochelle.co.uk/city-maps

(Apologies if the above is a repeat!)

And here's a restaurant list, to give you some idea of what you may want to read about on Trip Advisor or elsewhere:

http://www.holidays-la-rochelle.co.uk/where-to-eat/restaurants

I'm not much of a drinker, but champagne is by far my favorite wine. :)

Judith

@Peter

I will be going directly from Heathrow by car service to Harwich late evening on the 23rd. Rooms seem scarce already for that night, but I found some budget hotel/motel chain that had a vacancy. Will go directly from there to the port on the 24th.

@everyone

Haven't had a moment to think about the port days. Generally hate the ship-arranged excursions... so will be looking for more interesting day trip activities of the historically-oriented type. Would love suggestions.

Best,

Chris

@everyone

Haven't had a moment to think about the port days. Generally hate the ship-arranged excursions... so will be looking for more interesting day trip activities of the historically-oriented type. Would love suggestions.

Best,

Chris

Chris:

We like to do those kinds of things too. La Rochelle looks very much like a DIY port -- there appears to be an interesting, historic Old Harbor area (the Vieux Port) (with some towers to climb, etc). See the web site I linked to above, and also Trip Advisor, here:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g187206-Activities-La_Rochelle_Charente_Maritime_Poitou_Charentes.html

In Vigo, if the following would be of interest to you, I'd strongly suggest an excursion to Santiago de Compostela, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The medieval cathedral there is considered by Catholics to contain the ashes of St. James, and it is thus the destination of thousands of pilgrims each year who follow "El Camino de Santiago" (the Way of St. James) through many routes in Europe, on foot, on bike, you name it. No need to be Catholic or religious to appreciate the architecture or history of Santiago. Eileen and I were there last year (with most of the Pied Piper group on our TA) and it was an interesting day.

Gijon -- not able to find out that much about the town, it's hardly visited by cruise ships. Although we generally don't take ship excursions, we might take one of the excursions to Oviedo, which looks like a bit more interesting place.

Hope some of that is helpful.

Judith

PS: Peter may have to put you on suicide watch in Harwich. :)

Judith and Eileen, you naughty Gals, spreading false rumors. Ever since you told me that the Bar at the Pier Hotel in Harwich was THE local "family" watering hole, I immediately cancelled your suicide watch

Chris, hope Ramadan is progressing well and that the folks are not too tetchy, after not eating or drinking during the day

Just got diagnosed with Diabetes this week so have been banned for life from ALL BOOZE permanently, so will now definitely sign up for Judith and Eileen's recommended Premium Water Package. Will just have to pretend that a glass of San Pellegrino is sparkling wine, just like in Riyadh where my poolside glass of Schoss Bosenberg became a virtual glass of champagne !!! Often sipped in the company of the Egyptian Ambassador to Saudi who was called by the large Gay Community " The Queen of de Nile " a play on "Denial" as the poor baby was so closeted

Mega Hugz to all

Peter

Edited by Petert102

Just got diagnosed with Diabetes this week ...

Peter, I'm very sorry to hear this and hope you are able to control things via diet and that there's not a big impact on your life (beside the alcohol)...

Judith and Eileen, you naughty Gals, spreading false rumors. Ever since you told me that the Bar at the Pier Hotel in Harwich was THE local "family" watering hole, I immediately cancelled your suicide watch

Eileen and I remain fine, but poor Chris is not staying at the Pier.

Peter, I'm very sorry to hear this and hope you are able to control things via diet and that there's not a big impact on your life (beside the alcohol)...

Eileen and I remain fine, but poor Chris is not staying at the Pier.

Sounds like Chris will be staying in a double wide at the Harwich Trailer Park, besde the shipping containers at the Port...most unwise

Peter

Sounds like Chris will be staying in a double wide at the Harwich Trailer Park, besde the shipping containers at the Port...most unwise

Peter

Chris, why don't you join me, and any others of the Harwich group that may be interested, for dinner Wednesday evening? Sounds like the Pier has good food.

Russ

For those booked through Pied Piper -- have you gotten your invoice from them yet? Just wondering, as final payment to Celebrity is in a few weeks.....

Thanks.

No do not worry, they are always a tad slow, X is not going to cancelus out and loose such a big group !!!!!

Peter

Hey Peter, sorry to hear your news. Lifestyle changes can make all the difference with diabetes. So think of "taking the pledge" as a positive!! Look who's talking. Lol. "Mr Premium Beverage Package" Down to 3 months of waiting. We will book the MA Thistle in August. We are going to Ft lauderdale next week. Gotta be cooler than Rhode Island. I hope everyone is enjoying the summer!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

CAR HIRE

Just had a ton of fun scaring the **** out of the folks on the main board contemplating hiring a car. This should send them into Xanax territory. Do so love chain pulling !!

On my Last T/A we Gays all got together on the main board and organized, along with the Cabin crawl, Pub Crawl, Crepe eating contest, Slot Pull etc..etc... an ash scattering ceremony mid-altantic for the remains all our long departed Pets. The idea was lapped up in the main board with great entusiasm...it was all too funny

Hugz

Peter

Edited by Petert102

On my Last T/A we Gays all got together on the main board and organized, along with the Cabin crawl, Pub Crawl, Crepe eating contest, Slot Pull etc..etc... an ash scattering ceremony mid-altantic for the remains all our long departed Pets. The idea was lapped up in the main board with great entusiasm...it was all too funny

Hugz

Peter

Not that I'm eager to participate in things like a Slot Pull (we did that on our last TA, it was excruciating), but no one on the "main board" has tried to organize any such activities. It seems odd from my experience.

Hello Everyone...after finally figuring out that i never activated my account on here. We are booked on the Infinity thru Pied Piper and just wanted to say Hi to all and look forward to meeting everyone. We are Kevin and Bill. A couple from New Jersey. We will be arriving into London the day before the cruise so have chosen to stay at The Tower Hotel in Harwich.. This is our First Pied Piper Cruise and we cant wait. after many cruises its also our first Transatlantic...will anything be going on for Halloween?...Meet you all soon, Bill

Hello Everyone...after finally figuring out that i never activated my account on here. We are booked on the Infinity thru Pied Piper and just wanted to say Hi to all and look forward to meeting everyone. We are Kevin and Bill. A couple from New Jersey. We will be arriving into London the day before the cruise so have chosen to stay at The Tower Hotel in Harwich.. This is our First Pied Piper Cruise and we cant wait. after many cruises its also our first Transatlantic...will anything be going on for Halloween?...Meet you all soon, Bill

Hi Bill -- welcome to Cruise Critic, and welcome to this Roll Call and the TA!

Eileen and I are also staying in Harwich the night before we sail, at The Pier, where I think you'll probably find folks in the pub that evening ...:)

Halloween has definitely been discussed here and on the "main" Roll Call (on the Celebrity Roll Call board, where I'd encourage you to introduce yourselves as well) -- no real plans, and it's not clear that X does anything for Halloween, although they might. I'm hoping to at least bring a mask. (Actually, for me, formal attire is definitely being in costume! :))

We look forward to meeting you!

Judith

Kevin and Bill

Welcome, we seem to have the makings of a really fun "Family" Group. I think you will love PP, not at all like a frentetic Altantis trip, think of it as a great group of like minded folks, this thime we will have Bruce from PP who will be playing "Mother Hen" to the Group and organizing lots of fun things like Cocktail Parties, shore excursions etc.....

Paul (my husband), Howard a Buddy of ours and me, Peter are all from New York Manhattan. We fly over on Oct 17 and will be spending three days in Brighton before having three days in London. We have signed up for the bus that takes us from our London Hotel directly to the Ship on Oct 24

Hugz

Peter

Edited by Petert102

Hey Ladies.....so great too meet you all here..we cant wait for this cruise....K evins done about 35 and i have done about 22.....so excited about Trans Atlantic part of the trip. i have to ask is it me or is this sight a bit muddled to figure out. Whats the easiest way to find the main roll call for this cruise. Anyway guys really looking forward to meeting you all in person in a very short time...Hope all is well and thanks for replying...Bill :D

Hey Ladies.....so great too meet you all here..we cant wait for this cruise....K evins done about 35 and i have done about 22.....so excited about Trans Atlantic part of the trip. i have to ask is it me or is this sight a bit muddled to figure out. Whats the easiest way to find the main roll call for this cruise. Anyway guys really looking forward to meeting you all in person in a very short time...Hope all is well and thanks for replying...Bill :D

Here is the link, you will have to up-date the pages as more posts are made

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1595127&page=58

Peter

For those booked through Pied Piper -- have you gotten your invoice from them yet? Just wondering, as final payment to Celebrity is in a few weeks.....

Thanks.

The PP invoices are comming out via e-mail. Howards arrived yesterday, ours did not, but Bruce assures me that ours will be on its way momentarily. The Credit Card charge date will be AUGUST 12

Peter