Upper bunks on Dawn

geocruiser

Hi,

New to NCL but not to cruising. Thinking of booking Dawn. From the pictures on NCL's web site the upper bunks lift out from the walls. It this a generic picture or do they realing come down out from the wall?

Thanks

It is a generic photo. Some of the extra berths pull down from the wall, some pull down from the ceiling, and others are pullmans that store under the "regular" bed. It really depends on the room as to which you will have.

what cabin category are you considering?

In my experience, inside cabins for 3 have the wall mounted pullman birth. Inside cabins for 4 have that plus one trundle bed that is "popped up" from underneath one of the twin beds. Here is a picture with all 4 beds deployed:

In a balcony cabin, you can expect the 3rd bed to be a pull out mini-sofa and the 4th bed (if so indicated on the deck plans) to be a berth that drops down from the ceiling. Unfortunately, that berth blocks most of your view and makes getting to the balcony difficult.

I have posted a picture (the second one) of a balcony cabin with all 4 berth deployed ( the main bed is a single queen)...the girl is on the pull out mini-sofa.

cabin_all4Beds.jpg.8f578cb8a6031c7574cb6c505f972085.jpg

ba-with-turn-down.jpg.ebe21c2b4f539c5e3bf52d3afaf325d0.jpg

what cabin category are you considering?

In my experience, inside cabins for 3 have the wall mounted pullman birth. Inside cabins for 4 have that plus one trundle bed that is "popped up" from underneath one of the twin beds. Here is a picture with all 4 beds deployed:

In a balcony cabin, you can expect the 3rd bed to be a pull out mini-sofa and the 4th bed (if so indicated on the deck plans) to be a berth that drops down from the ceiling. Unfortunately, that berth blocks most of your view and makes getting to the balcony difficult.

I have posted a picture (the second one) of a balcony cabin with all 4 berth deployed ( the main bed is a single queen)...the girl is on the pull out mini-sofa.

I was looking at an inside cabin. I just don't want any cabin with the bed comming out of the wall, if it sticks out a little when folded up. What about the balconey cabins?

I was looking at an inside cabin. I just don't want any cabin with the bed comming out of the wall, if it sticks out a little when folded up. What about the balconey cabins?

As shown in the second picture, the 4th bunk comes down from the ceiling...when "up" it does not make the ceiling lower. If for only 3, then you would not need that bunk, but could use the pull out sofa.

As shown in the second picture, the 4th bunk comes down from the ceiling...when "up" it does not make the ceiling lower. If for only 3, then you would not need that bunk, but could use the pull out sofa.

Just for me to be sure. In an inside cabin the third bunk comes down from the ceiling and not out from the wall. It is flush with the ceiling.

From NCL's web sitw

http://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/dawn/staterooms/2/inside#tab_detail

The upper bunk is showen comming out from the wall.

Just for me to be sure. In an inside cabin the third bunk comes down from the ceiling and not out from the wall. It is flush with the ceiling.

From NCL's web sitw

http://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/dawn/staterooms/2/inside#tab_detail

The upper bunk is showen comming out from the wall.

No ... the ceiling bunk is in balcony cabins .... those in categories that start with "B". The inside and ocean view cabins have one wall mounted bed that "sticks out" about 8" from the side wall when folded up against the wall.

Here is a picture of a Dawn inside cabin...the wall bed ("pullman") is on the left...the shadow gives you an idea of how far it sticks out from the wall. The opposite wall does not have a bed.

DawnCabin.jpg.860f312051452026e3ba8021feac59f2.jpg

No ... the ceiling bunk is in balcony cabins .... those in categories that start with "B". The inside and ocean view cabins have one wall mounted bed that "sticks out" about 8" from the side wall when folded up against the wall.

Here is a picture of a Dawn inside cabin...the wall bed ("pullman") is on the left...the shadow gives you an idea of how far it sticks out from the wall. The opposite wall does not have a bed.

Is there any way that I could hit my head while going from a laying down position to a sitting up one on the bed?

It happened to me on Princess. Got a bump on my head. Princess did not want me to get another bump on my head so they moved me to a balcony. Very nice of them. I did not asked to be move, but my head was glad that they did. So I don't want to have this happen again, or have to change rooms.

Can the queen bed be placed all on the wall which doesn't have the bunk? I know that I would have to crawl into be.

Is there any way that I could hit my head while going from a laying down position to a sitting up one on the bed?

It happened to me on Princess. Got a bump on my head. Princess did not want me to get another bump on my head so they moved me to a balcony. Very nice of them. I did not asked to be move, but my head was glad that they did. So I don't want to have this happen again, or have to change rooms.

Can the queen bed be placed all on the wall which doesn't have the bunk? I know that I would have to crawl into be.

Could you bump it? If the bed is too far to that side, sure you could hit your head getting up from the bed, but since the beds move, you can ask the steward to move the bed all the way to the opposite wall easily. I feel your pain, since I am a klutz of the highest order. I would probably ask them to move it to the other side for me. Good luck!

DML

I don't see how one could bump their head on the pullman bunk when the beds are set up as a central "queen", if you are just sitting up in bed. If they are set up as separate twin beds against opposite walls, then yes, it would be possible on the side that has the pullman berth.

I don't see how one could bump their head on the pullman bunk when the beds are set up as a central "queen", if you are just sitting up in bed. If they are set up as separate twin beds against opposite walls, then yes, it would be possible on the side that has the pullman berth.

Because I'm not considering just sitting up in bed and hitting it. I'm considering what will happen in the middle of the night, when the room is darkened, when I try to stand up to use the bathroom or something similar. Even in the morning, when I'm not wearing my glasses yet, and I am trying to get up for the day, I am likely to hit my head on something sticking out from the wall like that. When you're a klutz, it's always best to look ahead at what you're likely to do. With as small as that space is, my husband and I would almost certainly ask them to push the queen to the opposite wall, just to avoid the possibility of me bashing myself with it.

DML

Archived