My Island Tours by Javin Questions

harv1631

I am booked on this tour next week. I'm looking for advice on what type of shoes to wear / bring for the black rocks portion of the tour. He said to wear sturdy shoes for hiking. Just curious if they will get wet and muddy. I'm trying not to overpack but don't want my sneakers to be wet the rest of the trip because I do plan on hitting the gym daily.

Can someone that has done this tour give me your thoughts.

Thanks

I've worn my Keens hiking sandals for this tour. The rainforest is were you're going to get wet and muddy. If you want to wear sneakers make it an old pair that won't go back home with you. Black Rocks is climbing on very sharp and jagged volcanic rock, good soles are needed here.

Enjoy yourself, it's a fun tour.

Just got back from this tour. Had a great time. Rainforest wasn't too wet when we went but we were prepared with old sneakers in case.

I'm glad to hear you had a good time on this tour. We're booked on this excursion in April and wondered if you had any suggestions for us. There are six in our group, but was wondering if you knew what the maximum number of people he'll take on on tour? Thanks for any info.

There were 12 in our group and it was my understanding that he doesn't like to take more than that.

My only suggestion is to be prepared for the physical aspect of his tour. We are 40 and had no issues but had some older people in our tour that did. Javin helped them and they did make it through but I think it was a little more than they expected. You just need to be able to climb over some rocks etc. it was a great day. He kept us on a very timely schedule an had us back to the ship exactly when promised. I would plan on meeting him about a half hour early. As soon as we all checks in we left a bit early. Might get a little more time that way.

There were 12 in our group and it was my understanding that he doesn't like to take more than that.

My only suggestion is to be prepared for the physical aspect of his tour. We are 40 and had no issues but had some older people in our tour that did. Javin helped them and they did make it through but I think it was a little more than they expected. You just need to be able to climb over some rocks etc. it was a great day. He kept us on a very timely schedule an had us back to the ship exactly when promised. I would plan on meeting him about a half hour early. As soon as we all checks in we left a bit early. Might get a little more time that way.

We were all mid-50's to 60, only 2 of us work out regularly, and we had a great time. Yes, there were some rocks and tree roots, but it was a great time.

• 2 weeks later...

Did ye do the Full Day Explore/Hike/Snorkel (Cruise Ship Fun) Tour or the half day Rainforest Hike (Cayon Ghaut/River Tour)? Would love to do the full day when in St Kitts but am concerned about getting back to the ship in time!!

We've done the tour twice w/ Javin now. Once w/ just me and DH and in January we returned w/ our kids (22&18) They agreed that this was our best stop of our 5 islands. Make sure to wear shoes you don't mind getting wet. Last year is was just my DH and myself and this year we had 11 but Javin also has a helper names Chris now that comes along. The slower group stayed with Javin while Chris took the 'younger' more 'fit' group further ahead of the rain forest. It is an all day tour but Javin keeps you right on schedule and gets you back to the ship in plenty of time. Some people that were with us were nervous about getting back as their ship left before ours but Javin knows the back way in to the port from the beach so we hit no traffic and they had time to spare. Make sure to get Lion's punch (I prefer w/ out the spice) Lets just say the 11 of us on the trip were VERY happy heading back to the pier! ENJOY and Im super jealous, wish I was booked again!

• 4 months later...

Can you give me some details about the hike? How much time was spent on the hike, what did you see during the way, and is there a destination (i.e., falls, hot springs, etc.)?

I'd also like some feedback on how strenuous it was. For anyone who did the tour with Levi in Dominica to see the falls and hot springs, how does this hike compare to that?

Can you give me some details about the hike? How much time was spent on the hike, what did you see during the way, and is there a destination (i.e., falls, hot springs, etc.)?

I'd also like some feedback on how strenuous it was. For anyone who did the tour with Levi in Dominica to see the falls and hot springs, how does this hike compare to that?

Unfortunately when we went it started to rain heavily ( it is a rainforest ) so we only got about half way before deciding to turn back so I can't say what was at the end. You walk a trail that goes in and out of the river, wear shoes that can get wet. It was a lot easier than the hike to Middleham Falls with Levi, it's a gentle climb, it can get slippery and muddy when wet. We're going back in 2015 and have already been in contact with Javin to do the hike again.

Levi offers a number of hikes - which one are you asking about? The middleham falls hike is pretty strenuous, more strenuous than the hike with Javin. He offers some, though, that are comparable to Javin's hike, or even easier.

I did the full day tour with Javin in february. The hike into rainforest was a bit strenuous for the lady who had a bum knee but Jaivn made sure to help her. It had rained so the rocks were slippery. Due to this he didn't feel comfortable going in too far. We saw a pool and lots of vegetation. It was pretty. Not hard for most people I would say.

Levi offers a number of hikes - which one are you asking about? The middleham falls hike is pretty strenuous, more strenuous than the hike with Javin. He offers some, though, that are comparable to Javin's hike, or even easier.

I was referring to the hike to Trafalgar falls where you go past the falls to the hot springs. Do you know how it compares to that hike?

I was referring to the hike to Trafalgar falls where you go past the falls to the hot springs. Do you know how it compares to that hike?

Trafalgar Falls is a walk in the park , on a well established trail. Going into the rainforest is much more primitive, no hand rails , not a well marked trail, you'll be walking in mud and in the water. Look at some of the pictures on Javin's website. http://www.myislandstours.shutterfly.com/ Here's one from our hike in January 2012.

<a href=http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7041/6865778923_9a6c3152e3_n.jpg' alt='6865778923_9a6c3152e3_n.jpg'>

Hike with Javin by erniesband, on Flickr[/img]

Javin's tour is wonderful. Very intimate and laid back. You will enjoy it. Take reef shoes or waterproof hiking shoes. If you take normal athletic shoes, they could get muddy and you might nor want them back on the ship.

Archived