Friend Can't Make it......What to do?

maroyalt

There are four of us (myself, DW, and our 2 friends) booked on the Independence of the Seas for the February 10, 2013 sailing in two rooms (2 people per room). One of our friends just informed us she can't go anymore (she doesn't have trip insurance). I have two questions:

1. Should we inform the cruise line of her cancellation or just have her be a no show at the pier? The reason I ask is I heard there are extra charges when sailing solo.

2. If we don't inform the cruiseline of her cancellation will the single passanger still be permitted to board? They have already completed their online check-in and both names show up on the boarding pass.

Thanks for any advice!

yes there is an extra charge for solo but you've already paid for two so there will be no further charges. I think you will be entitled to a refund of taxes, gratuities and port fees for the person who can't make it so it could be advantageous for them to cancel. Also if they have insurance won't they need to cancel to apply for the benefit?

I'd probably call RCI and ask them the best way to handle it.

Tell the cruise line. They will charge the single supplement but it won't actually be a higher rate since you've already paid for two. This will result in a refund of taxes, pre-paid grats, any shore-excursions, etc and a small portion of the cruise fare.

It will take longer to get this refund if she no-shows at the pier.

You also have until 24 hours to start of cruise to change name of 1 passenger for, I think a $35 fee. Can someone else go instead, friend, cousin,etc???
This is the best option if you can find someone and offer them an opportunity to go at half price or something. That way the person unable to go would recoup at lot more than just fees/taxes.

I was scheduled to go with friends recently on the Mariner of the Seas.. My husband had to have surgery so I Had to cancel the week before.. I had the insurance.. but, my friends sister really wanted to go.. We just called Royal and they let us change the name on the reservation.. did not charge us anything.. and then she paid me.. worked out great (except for the fact that I missed it) but, did not have to worry with filing a claim...

This is the best option if you can find someone and offer them an opportunity to go at half price or something. That way the person unable to go would recoup at lot more than just fees/taxes.

Take Me,I Go

yes there is an extra charge for solo but you've already paid for two so there will be no further charges. I think you will be entitled to a refund of taxes, gratuities and port fees for the person who can't make it so it could be advantageous for them to cancel. Also if they have insurance won't they need to cancel to apply for the benefit?

I'd probably call RCI and ask them the best way to handle it.

Didn't the OP say there was NO trip insurance?

Didn't the OP say there was NO trip insurance?

Yes, they're not saying she'd get the cruise fare back, just the ancillary charges.

However I think the name changing is the best option if it's possible. Someone gets a last minute cruise and your cancelling friend gets at least some of the cash back.

Archived