Wonder Lake Shuttle or Kantishna - have you been to both?

Oldnslow1

We are planning to take the early shuttle and need information. I understand all of the differences in buses but what about the Wonder Lake and Kantishna stops? Does the Wonder Lake shuttle actually stop at the lake or is there a long hike to get there? Since we are not staying in Kantishna is there anything to do and are visitors welcomed? I realize it is closer to the mountain so I am guessing the view is that much better. We have a rental car so is there room to park at the Wilderness Access Center?

Thanks,

Oldnslow1

The park web site says Reflection Lake is a 2 mile walk from the Wonder Lake stop. The Kantishna bus and tour drive past Reflection Lake. Since the shuttles allow you to hop off at any point, tell the driver to let you off at the lake. Bring head nets.

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/shuttles.htm

I've booked to WL in hopes of clear weather, but it has always been rainy or heavy clouds so I've only gone to Eielson 3 times. Not that I'm complaining .. I've had great wildlife sightings and the scenery is awesome. I have zero interest in Kantishna and would only go to WL if the mountain was visible. Eielson has a great view of the mtn if it's out. I've only seen it while driving to or from the park, or from downtown Anchorage; never seen it while in the park.

There is lots of parking available...no worries there.

We are planning to take the early shuttle and need information. I understand all of the differences in buses but what about the Wonder Lake and Kantishna stops? Does the Wonder Lake shuttle actually stop at the lake or is there a long hike to get there? Since we are not staying in Kantishna is there anything to do and are visitors welcomed? I realize it is closer to the mountain so I am guessing the view is that much better. We have a rental car so is there room to park at the Wilderness Access Center?

Thanks,

Oldnslow1

For most visitors, the view from Eielson is just fine. Frankly, unless the weather is good, I don't think Wonder Lake or Kantishna are worth the extra time investment. Wife and I have been to both numerous times and agree that we'd rather spend the extra time at the Eielson. Wonder Lake is notorious for its mosquito population and Kantishna is a collection of very pricey "wilderness lodges".

We actually drove in last September during the Denali Road Lottery period and promised ourselves that we wouldn't go that again. If your visit to Denali must be "complete", do it but most folks would say that going to Eielson is more than adequate.

Wonder Lake itself you can see from the stop the shuttle makes at Wonder Lake. The shuttle actually stops there for about a half hour if my memory serves me right.

As for Reflection Pond, you can have the driver drop you off before the Wonder Lake stop and it will be a closer walk to the pond. The pond is only worth going to if it is clear day.

Here is a positive thread on the Kantishna Experience:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1683604

Here is a more negative thread on the Kantishna Experience:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1098011

Hopefully these will help you with your decision.

Here is a photo of Wonder Lake. This is what you would see from the Wonder Lake Shuttle Bus Stop.

100_4796_zpsb6d0c298.jpg

Since we are not staying in Kantishna is there anything to do and are visitors welcomed? I realize it is closer to the mountain so I am guessing the view is that much better. We have a rental car so is there room to park at the Wilderness Access Center?

"it is closer to the mountain" - do you mean Kantishna? You can't see the mountain from Kantishna. Nothing really of interest to see there for the extra 1+ hours it takes to get there.

Plenty of room to park at the Wilderness Access Center.

The view of the mountain from Wonder Lake can be amazing, not to mention the possibility of additional wildlife viewing. I'd hike around the lake area, rather than continue on to Kantishna unless you intend to do some serious hiking up the ridge.

When you are in Kantishna you are in an enclosed valley pocket with no views. The various lodges are at the end of their own access roads. We enjoyed two days there because of the time to do the activities offered and the speakers they had. The views from the road of Wonder Lake and Denali are impressive IF it is clear. This is where our van took us for hiking when we stayed overnight in Kantishna. We walked the Blueberry Hill trail for two hours in the drizzle and waited out the mountain. Other people showed up for 15 minutes and saw cloud banks. It was one of our trip highlights. The ride to get to Kantishna was definitely worth it, but not

if you are going back out in one day.

Denali%2520days%2520091-crop.jpg

cubs from bus

Denali%2520days%2520152%2520fixed.jpg

Polychrome

Denali%2520days%2520269.jpg

when the clouds lifted

Denali%2520days%2520277%2520lighten.jpg

reward at end of the hike

Archived