NCL Sun Question

Zeno

A friend asked me this question and although I was on the Sun I just don't know the answer.

Do they serve afternoon tea on the Sun? (I was probably too stuffed around tea time to notice).

IIRC, the answer is yes, but not in any formal way. Afternoon tea-type things are served in the Great Outdoor Cafe. However, the Freestyle Dailies linked to in my signature will be more reliable a source of information.

Zeno - when you mentioned afternoon tea, the first thing that popped in my mind was afternoon tea on Holland America cruises. Such a wonderful experience on that line! :)

We leave on the Sun this Sunday. :D Tea or no tea, we're very excited to be going!!

Globaliser: thx so much for info - I think was still too stuffed in the late afternoon time frame to be hunting down 'tea' type snacks - I will let my friend know that snacky things are available but no formal "tea" service.

I checked your Freestyle Dailies and they refer to afternoon snacks in the Great Outdoor Cafe (I am guessing cookies etc).

I think she was probably hoping for something more formal (along the lines of what Mandygirl mentioned HAL had).

MandyGirl: I hope you like the Sun. She is a friendly well-run ship. Have a great time. Did they have scones on HAL? I love scones with clotted cream and preserves. Cucumber sandwiches? Little tea cakes ? (Just thinking of this makes me hungry - now I will probably want to cruise HAL to get afternoon tea!)

Zeno - I will most definitely write a review. I'm staying in Seattle a few days post-cruise, so it will be towards the end of the month before a review is complete. We have cruised the Sky, which was our first cruise, so we are definitely looking to cruising on her sister. :) Booked an aft mini-suite, so we are just on edge with excitement. Also, we have 12 others in our group, most of whom were on our wedding cruise on S/S Norway with us, so we are looking forward to spending time with family that live out of state.

I can't remember what all HAL had for afternoon tea. We cruised HAL for Thanksgiving in 2003 (Maasdam) and 2004 (Zuiderdam). The Maasdam was more formal for tea than Zuiderdam, but the passenger mix on Maasdam was also a little more seasoned in cruising. One afternoon, we sat with two guys who had over 300 days of cruising each... their wives were sisters and had both recently passed away, so the two guys still cruise together. Anyway, it was white-glove tea service, and we dressed nicer than your typical afternoon Caribbean attire. I think we normally wore the clothes we'd be wearing to dinner. There was the assortment of teas brought to you, and usually three different trays of yummies came by. Each day was different. It was usually the Pinnacle staff serving on the nice china. (Pinnacle is the specialty restaurant of HAL). I recall the Maasdam definitely having a string quartet at tea, but I think Zuiderdam was a pianist for tea. Hubby and I thoroughly enjoyed it on Maasdam, and we were usually the youngest in there (30 yrs old). However, if we sat with any WWII vets, hubby could just sit there for hours and hours listenting to their stories.

Instead of afternoon tea on the Sun, I am looking forward to trying a little "late afternoon" stop by Las Ramblas and sampling their tapas and sangria!!;) A little different twist.

Archived